What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd be all for lifting the minimum suspensions so a grade 1 lifting gives you an automatic month out. And then actually dragging in everybody that does it to the judiciary. The NRL needs balls to do this properly, I hope suspending Mclean was step 1 of a major shift in how the comp handles this issue.

magpie4ever

First Grade
nah sorry you were wrong about, well, everything.

And I'm sorry you are a timid little beerhunter. But each to their own.

By the way, whoever posted that Melbourne wouldn't use Alex's head fold; they did. Apology would be appreciated.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I'd be all for lifting the minimum suspensions so a grade 1 lifting gives you an automatic month out. And then actually dragging in everybody that does it to the judiciary. The NRL needs balls to do this properly, I hope suspending Mclean was step 1 of a major shift in how the comp handles this issue.

BM - don't hold your breath, they have no idea. If they did they wouldn't have allowed the wrestle to become the norm - as in tackling.

Plumplechook

Juniors
This isn't Alex McKinnon vs Jordan McLean. Just because someone thinks the verdict is harsh doesn't mean they have no empathy for Alex McKinnon.

Its the suggestion that the game is 'soft' because it penalises someone strongly for an illegal lifting tackle. This tragic accident is exactly WHY tipping above the horizontal needs to be penalised so harshly. Lifting tackles need to be completely eliminated from the game. That's not soft - that's sensible.

georgesnmith

Juniors
It was inevitable. It's not a freak accident - the laws of the game recognise this.

Given what happened tonight, it is inevitable that it will happen again.

do you watch a lot of rugby league?

this is the first time i can remember it happening in 30 years.

stop talking garbage

georgesnmith

Juniors
another safety measure (part of the reasoning for it anyway) was the elimination of competitive scrums

union fans bag league scrums as a joke yet how many people are injured in competitive scrums.

the ARLC has taken an approach of making the game safer. indeed stats ive seen says league is one of the safest sports around of the major sports.

do people really think lifting in the tackle is more dangerous than say competitive scrums?

lets put this into perspective.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
At first glance it seems harsh, but when you consider what he could've got, he was pretty lucky I would've thought.

Lets just get on with it now. McClean can do his time, Alex and his family can try and move on and salvage something from all of this and we can all get back to enjoying Footy.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I hope rugby league learns from it, no doubt there will be a court case, but that aside the rules need to be changed. No lifting, if you lift, penalty. Simple. Players will stop it as they know how important penalties are.

magpie4ever

First Grade
another safety measure (part of the reasoning for it anyway) was the elimination of competitive scrums

union fans bag league scrums as a joke yet how many people are injured in competitive scrums.

the ARLC has taken an approach of making the game safer. indeed stats ive seen says league is one of the safest sports around of the major sports.

do people really think lifting in the tackle is more dangerous than say competitive scrums?

lets put this into perspective.

That was not the reason for non-competitive scrums in league, it was the wipe out the half a dozen or more 'second row feed or feet across' scrum penalties. Absolutely, zero to do with safety.

typicalfan

Coach
Its the suggestion that the game is 'soft' because it penalises someone strongly for an illegal lifting tackle. This tragic accident is exactly WHY tipping above the horizontal needs to be penalised so harshly. Lifting tackles need to be completely eliminated from the game. That's not soft - that's sensible.

Yep and if we had consistency maybe this tackle wouldn't have happened in the first place. As has been said plenty of similar tackles have happened without the consequences that haven't even been penalised, let alone suspended.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yep and if we had consistency maybe this tackle wouldn't have happened in the first place. As has been said plenty of similar tackles have happened without the consequences that haven't even been penalised, let alone suspended.

Which is why the game needs to say, you lift, you get 6 weeks, end of story. There is no question. 6 weeks, will get it through their heads very quickly.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they probably thought it was better to have the media whinging about it being too harsh instead of too lenient as the media were going to whinge no matter what he got

Billythekid

First Grade
Don't have a problem with the sentence. I still think if they're serious about getting rid of this sort of tackle they need to increase suspensions across the board.

georgesnmith

Juniors
That was not the reason for non-competitive scrums in league, it was the wipe out the half a dozen or more 'second row feed or feet across' scrum penalties. Absolutely, zero to do with safety.

player safety has also been mentioned as a reason as well

i remember reading an article about a penrith panthers player from the 70s ending up in wheelchair when a scrum collapsed on top of him

with all the hysteria about lifting in tackles im amazed no-one bats an eye lid about competitive scrums in union which are far more dangerous imo

dont know why the media dont focus on those especially given a number of spinal injuries which have resulted.

as i said before league is quite a safe sport. people need to get a grip.

Apey

Staff member
I reckon they had some nerve pleading not guilty just an aside. Nothing to do with being insensitive to the situation, he has a right to defend himself and all that of course but did they seriously think he had any chance of being found not guilty? Mind-boggling if so, and they only made it worse for him in the end.

MrAnonymous

Bench
player safety has also been mentioned as a reason as well

i remember reading an article about a penrith panthers player from the 70s ending up in wheelchair when a scrum collapsed on top of him

with all the hysteria about lifting in tackles im amazed no-one bats an eye lid about competitive scrums in union which are far more dangerous imo

dont know why the media dont focus on those especially given a number of spinal injuries which have resulted.

as i said before league is quite a safe sport. people need to get a grip.

I love league just as much as any merkin, but tbh its not a safe sport at all it would actually be one of the most dangerous imo, talking contact sports. Unless you think 110kg+ blokes running into each other at full speed is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.