What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a load of bullshit and it's disgusting to see people using a horrific accident as a platform for pushing their anti-Storm garbage. Some people need to have a good look at themselves.

The 7 week ban is, in my view, ridiculous. But I also think it's somewhat necessary and I understand how the decision was reached.

However, the real test is how the NRL act in future games. They've just set a massive precident here and, if there is any consistency or genuine well being for our players, there will be a minimum of 50 suspensions dished out come the end of the next round for illegal lifting.

Ultimately, lifting tackles aren't necessary and should be outlawed, if not heavily penalised, but we all know the NRL don't have the guts to enforce existing rules or bring in new rules unless there is unrelenting media pressure.

I've never been a fan of lifting people especially past the horizontal but this accident never would have taken place if the NRL didn't allow an untold number of identical challenges tens of times each game.

The NRL are effectively complicit in illegal and dangerous acts of foul play but when there's some tragedy or serious injury they point the finger at the player as if to absolve themselves of guilt? Laughable.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Alex McKinnon has been rubbed out of the game due to an illegal action by Jordan McLean. McLean should be rubbed out of the game as a result of those actions. Life time ban even though the act was considered "unintentional".

It is interesting how sporting fields become somewhat immune to the law in these situations.

Lets say McLean was driving a car and "unintentionally" ran into the path of Alex McKinnon on his motorcycle. McKinnon suffers identical injuries and is rendered a quadriplegic. In all probability, McLean would cop some serious charge and potentially a custodial sentence.

Basically every action that happens on a rugby league field would be considered an offence of some sort if conducted in the general community.

so passing a football in public is illegal is it?

all those 14 years old kids better watch out

Noname36

First Grade
Thought he might get 5 weeks but 7 weeks is ok. Defiantly not the worst tackle I've seen but when this sort of injury occurs there is always gonna be a big ban.

Worst part of this is the storm fans saying it McKinnons fault cause he ducked his head. If I'm about to get my face rammed into the ground my reaction would be to duck my head also weather that's the right or wrong way doesn't matter as he should never have been placed in the position in the first place.
I was shown a very disturbing Facebook post earlier by the missus. Can't remember it word for word but the storm fan pretty much said f**k Ronald mcdonald he was just ducking his head to milk a penalty suck shit now he can't walk I only feel sorry for poor McLean who has to cop abuse.

You know what's sad? Take away the "Ronald McDonald" part and I've seen all of those same disgusting comments thrown around here...and not just by Storm supporters either.

I'm convinced that the people sitting there blaming McKinnon at this time have something seriously wrong with them...and that goes for Cam Smith as well.

End of the day, McLean will play again, McKinnon will be lucky if he can walk again. Are people really that petty that they want to cry over a 7 week suspension when McLean was the reason Alex was put in that position to begin with? Jesus some people have messed up priorities. He'll be back before they know it. Alex never will be.

Tayjack

Juniors
7 weeks is a message to Bellamy to clean up his age old dirty tackles.

Theres always going to be someone out there that bags the best because they are the best, the reason bellamy and the storm are so superior is because they work harder than any other club, if bellamy was at the club you support, and had the success they have had, we would not hear boo from you, that is the reality of it. BTW - I don't support the storm either.

Tayjack

Juniors
You know what's sad? Take away the "Ronald McDonald" part and I've seen all of those same disgusting comments thrown around here...and not just by Storm supporters either.

I'm convinced that the people sitting there blaming McKinnon at this time have something seriously wrong with them...and that goes for Cam Smith as well.

End of the day, McLean will play again, McKinnon will be lucky if he can walk again. Are people really that petty that they want to cry over a 7 week suspension when McLean was the reason Alex was put in that position to begin with? Jesus some people have messed up priorities. He'll be back before they know it. Alex never will be.

Can you explain what cameron smith has got to do with any of this??

Noname36

First Grade

I was saying that I think the people sitting here blaming McKinnon and saying he brought this on himself are disgusting. That includes Smith who stood there right in front of McKinnon (who was screaming at his teammates to get his mouthguard out because he couldn't move his limbs) telling the ref that it was all McKinnon's fault so the Storm shouldn't get a penalty.

Joely01

Bench

He said to the refs at the time Mckinnon ducked his head which made the tackle seem a lot worse then it was...

I think a lot of people are letting their emotion take over their thoughts way to much on this subject (which is easy to do when something so sad has happened)

Firstly, the tackle by McLean was an accident, it has unfortunately resulted in a very very bad outcome. Now i'm not saying McLean shouldn't be suspended. I just think the 7 weeks was too much.
I've seen tackles a lot worse get much less then 7, and it probably comes down to the injury.

I've watched the tackle countless times, McKinnon does duck his head, but as a few have said if you can see you are landing on your face you would too, It has made the tackle look worse.

Rebel

First Grade
Dont like the fact that the outcome is taken into account tbh. If something is illegal, it should be dealt with regardless of the outcome.

This isn't the legal system, its a football game.

Joker's Wild

Coach
It's clearly about sending a message

If Jordan has to cop a 7 week ban for the next guy to think twice about lifting a players legs higher than his shoulders in a tackle, then it is a small price to pay indeed.

It needs to be wiped out of our game

JJ

Immortal
It's clearly about sending a message

If Jordan has to cop a 7 week ban for the next guy to think twice about lifting a players legs higher than his shoulders in a tackle, then it is a small price to pay indeed.

It needs to be wiped out of our game

This - no need for lifting full stop - 7 weeks is fine, I think - and should be a benchmark now, injury or no injury...

If they go back to low gradings for similar incidents without the tragic injury I'll be disappointed...

Tayjack

Juniors
I was saying that I think the people sitting here blaming McKinnon and saying he brought this on himself are disgusting. That includes Smith who stood there right in front of McKinnon (who was screaming at his teammates to get his mouthguard out because he couldn't move his limbs) telling the ref that it was all McKinnon's fault so the Storm shouldn't get a penalty.

Thats embarrasing pal - what smith said in a very calm tone exactly was this -quote "i don't want to see any player looking going through this, but if he doesn't duck his head , it doesn't happen" - unquote, then he left it at that, which he is entitled to do. Now at no stage did he or anyone on the planet know what the result of the injury was going to be at that stage. There was no malice in smiths comments at all, but he is 100% correct in what he said to the ref. The way you have worded it, you have already put the unreal thought into your own head, that smith was completely blaming mackinnon in a certain way.

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors
Thats embarrasing pal - what smith said in a very calm tone exactly was this -quote "i don't want to see any player looking going through this, but if he doesn't duck his head , it doesn't happen" - unquote, then he left it at that, which he is entitled to do. Now at no stage did he or anyone on the planet know what the result of the injury was going to be at that stage. There was no malice in smiths comments at all, but he is 100% correct in what he said to the ref. The way you have worded it, you have already put the unreal thought into your own head, that smith was completely blaming mackinnon in a certain way.

Actually the refs told Smith on more than 1 occasion to buggar off until the injured player has been taken from the field. Smith had a right to say whatever he liked but he should have kept his mouth shut until McKinnon was taken from the field.

Meth

Staff member
Dont like the fact that the outcome is taken into account tbh. If something is illegal, it should be dealt with regardless of the outcome.

This isn't the legal system, its a football game.

Yes, but the outcome in this case is much, much more severe than the regular outcome of a football game

Alex28

Coach
Given Kade Snowden got a longer suspension for standing still, I would think that Jordan McLean and the Storm should consider themselves lucky, consider the situation and how the public sees the decision, and have some respect for Alex McKinnon and accept the decision so the game can get on with things.

Noname36

First Grade

Um, yeah, that seems like he was trying to blame the kid and say it was his fault to me. Are you really that dense? And I'm no spinal expert, but when someone is laying there unable to move their limbs I'd say that's pretty damn indicative of a serious injury.

That's embarrassing Pal.

Rebel

First Grade
Was the penalty blown before Alex was on the ground not moving? Playing devils advocate here... I think what Smith was getting at was that if he wasn't injured, there wouldn't have been a penalty.

Noname36

First Grade
Was the penalty blown before Alex was on the ground not moving? Playing devils advocate here... I think what Smith was getting at was that if he wasn't injured, there wouldn't have been a penalty.

I think the issue people are arguing was the way Smith went about it (carrying on even after the refs told him to knock it off, blaming Alex when he was on the ground clearly in a bad way) was disgraceful...as is anyone sitting here blaming McKinnon and saying he's brought this injury on himself when I'm sure everyone, even those with clear Storm biases, can admit that if he wasn't placed in that position to begin with this wouldn't have happened. I'm not saying that to throw blame at McLean either (although clearly he was responsible to some degree) but more point out how ridiculous, and also tasteless, it is for people to sit there saying it was all Alex's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.