What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth will be a much harder proposition post 2018

undertaker

Coach
It'll be a very short sighted decision by the N(SW)RL if Prrth are not included in 2017/18.

Brisbane badly needed another team, so I'd assume Perth will be the other team entering as a bye does nothing.

Would WA accept a relocation if the ARLC didn't expand past 16 yet some other club(s) were having several issues

I guess the common question with the Brisbane II side is what effect will they have on the Broncos, and to a lesser extent, Titans? Will it lead to over-saturation in SE QLD? If another QLD team is included, should they go for somewhere in Central QLD or Sunshine Coast?

undertaker

Coach
I dislike union with a passion but I look at the Force and think what might have been if that disastrous decision in 1997 to kill the Reds had been different. Make no mistake the longer we leave Perth with no NRL team and treating the place with indifference the stronger union gets and the harder it will be to have a sustainable NRL team. There will be plenty of RL fans who will become Force members if they delay expansion again. If you want to watch the Eagles you can't at the moment, in 2018 they will be actively seeking to recruit an additional 25,000 members to fill the new 68,000 stadium.

The NRL can't afford to just leave us at the whims of clubs looking to make some money and deciding ad hoc to play games gp here, they can't afford not to be funding the warl a decent amount to compete for the best jnrs with the WARU and they can't delay another decade the addition of a Perth NRL team. The cost in WA and knock on for the whole sport will be significant if they do.

It's no coincidence that the Wallabies started to play test matches in Perth the year after the Western/Perth Reds folded. All that ground and support that Union have gained since 1998 (culminating in Perth getting their own Super Rugby franchise in 2006) could've been RL's had the Reds not been cut. Even if the Pirates are admitted in 2018, it will be no instant overnight success - a big challenge ensues as the NRL have a lot of lost ground to make up for which was surrendered to Union in Perth.

undertaker

Coach
I agree, they should have a team.

But you are sounding like those hoaxes in the Central Coast trying to pump up the Mariners, or Ipswich pumping up the AFL.

They need to bring them in because it makes sense to the NRL, not because they are worrying about what the other codes are doing.

In hindsight, this has been the issue about the Gold Coast. They panicked about what the AFL were doing and they are now stuck with a dead weight team with little local support.

As we have discussed many times, it makes sense to bring in a Perth team because of the TV time slots back to the Eastern states. That will be what gets them across the line in the end.

Titans average home crowds have dropped by approximately a third since they moved to Skilled Park in 2008. Friday night's blockbuster home match vs Broncos only got 20k. Even back in 2008, I thought their ticket prices were way overpriced and were always going to experience a decline in crowds if the team's on-field performance declined. Doesn't help they had to deal with the whole Michael Searle debacle (to think that many on this forum actually wanted him to be CEO of the NRL at one stage). But seriously, $70 for adult ticket in the Category 1 of the Western grandstand - given that's how much it will cost for next month's test match at the SFS - is exorbitant.

oikee

Juniors
Another massive crowd at Manly, over 9 thousand announced, but looked terrible on TV.
Warriors only got 22 thousand to the eden park whitey elephant.
They got beaten again and probably wont make the eight.
Warriors crowds will be deminishing next year and we will have another area in decline.

Somebody needs to step up and be counted, crowds, viewers and expansion are all going south faster than Gulliver on his last yoyage.

Sharks belting the Warriors by 40 , then being belted by Manly, who would have figured.
You all have Manly in your tipping, ? Of course. The game is stale and boring.
Refs dont help, they make things worse, milking penalties and other indiscretions are now making the game unbearable to watch.
Be interested in crowd viewers, must be down down deep down.
I have barely watched a game this weekend.
But we will keep hanging on, chewing that last piece of straw, instead of admitting we have a problem houston and fixing the damm mess..
Back to the troll cave, .

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Titans average home crowds have dropped by approximately a third since they moved to Skilled Park in 2008. Friday night's blockbuster home match vs Broncos only got 20k. Even back in 2008, I thought their ticket prices were way overpriced and were always going to experience a decline in crowds if the team's on-field performance declined. Doesn't help they had to deal with the whole Michael Searle debacle (to think that many on this forum actually wanted him to be CEO of the NRL at one stage). But seriously, $70 for adult ticket in the Category 1 of the Western grandstand - given that's how much it will cost for next month's test match at the SFS - is exorbitant.

The Titans official crowd numbers are very suspect, although the 20k against Brisbane is probably on the money.

I suspect they would average below Canberra in reality. Keep in mind that they are in direct competition with the AFL Suns, who are inflating their numbers as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are being " encouraged" to pad the numbers a bit by the NRL.

Whatever the reasons, on field or off field, they have been a disappointment. They should have put the Bears in instead. I was very wrong about that in hindsight.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Sharks belting the Warriors by 40 , then being belted by Manly, who would have figured.

, .
:lol::lol:

Great call - up with your best ever.

Titans, Eels and Tigers leading the comp.

Upsets galore with more favourites getting beat then winning.

Yet the game is stale and predictable.

Time to open up another slab mate.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Cowboys never win in Sydney, Sharks cant win at Manly, why do they even bother to turn up in front of sub par crowds.
Logging this into the troll cave site "future for the game 15''16".
Brisbane with massive crowds of 30 to 40 thousand,.
Brisbane to bring ion another two teams, the East Tigers and Brisbane Brothers.

Let the heartland grow the game before even the termites leave the stadiums.
Back to the cave, safety first. Buffalo after me.

undertaker

Coach

Yes, I did tip Manly and would be on a perfect round if it wasn't for Jake Friend's blunder and SBW in the last 5 minutes of last night's match!:x

The Titans official crowd numbers are very suspect, although the 20k against Brisbane is probably on the money.

I suspect they would average below Canberra in reality. Keep in mind that they are in direct competition with the AFL Suns, who are inflating their numbers as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are being " encouraged" to pad the numbers a bit by the NRL.

Whatever the reasons, on field or off field, they have been a disappointment. They should have put the Bears in instead. I was very wrong about that in hindsight.

Yes, I agree with you that you have to factor in the fact that many of the Titans home crowds over the last few years have definitely been fudged.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I agree, they should have a team.

But you are sounding like those hoaxes in the Central Coast trying to pump up the Mariners, or Ipswich pumping up the AFL.

They need to bring them in because it makes sense to the NRL, not because they are worrying about what the other codes are doing.

In hindsight, this has been the issue about the Gold Coast. They panicked about what the AFL were doing and they are now stuck with a dead weight team with little local support.

As we have discussed many times, it makes sense to bring in a Perth team because of the TV time slots back to the Eastern states. That will be what gets them across the line in the end.

Couldn't agree more.

The Pirates would only be in competition with the Force and even then there is room for both as seen in Brisbane. What the AFL does has little to no bearing so when people bring that up as some sort of a threat it all appears very shallow. In fact, the WA market is pretty much saturated with AFL, so any alternatives will likely draw a decent amount of support.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Couldn't agree more.

The Pirates would only be in competition with the Force and even then there is room for both as seen in Brisbane. What the AFL does has little to no bearing so when people bring that up as some sort of a threat it all appears very shallow. In fact, the WA market is pretty much saturated with AFL, so any alternatives will likely draw a decent amount of support.

You are missing my point which is at the moment the eagles are at saturation, in 2019 season they will move into a new stadium with a capacity of an extra 24,000. If there is still no sign of an NRL team by then people will give it up,and become members of Perth clubs that do exist. When it gets to the point a lifelong RL fan like myself is looking at which club to sign up to if NRL says no to expansion in a few months you know that the window of opportunity is narrowing.

Not about if Pirates will be in competition with any other Perth club, more if no pirates What will happen to RL and the great strides forward made in WA in the last 7 years?

Billythekid

First Grade
You're dreaming. By the time 3 mill people call Perth home, 4 or 5 will call Brisbane home. Projections don't mean shit in an ever changing economic and job climate. Brisbane has the wheels turning again, much better now then say 2 years ago when I left for Cairns.

To be fair though Perth doesn't need to come close to Brisbane to be viable for a rugby league team. It's a pretty huge market for us to have no presence in.

so the force get terrible TV ratings, their crowds are down what over 50% and they need help from the ARU to survive.

yeh looks like we did miss the boat.

Lets face it, union in general is a second tier sport in Australia. The fact that they can manage that sort of support in Perth is a good sign not a bad one. It at least shows that there is some support for that type of sport in the city.

The fact that they need help from the ARU to survive is irrelevant. Rugby union in this country has no presence whatsoever, it surely has to be much harder for a union side to get big sponsorship deals than a league side.

I don't think the force are some raging success that we should be looking towards but they do show that there is potential in the market.

You are missing my point which is at the moment the eagles are at saturation, in 2019 season they will move into a new stadium with a capacity of an extra 24,000. If there is still no sign of an NRL team by then people will give it up,and become members of Perth clubs that do exist. When it gets to the point a lifelong RL fan like myself is looking at which club to sign up to if NRL says no to expansion in a few months you know that the window of opportunity is narrowing.

Not about if Pirates will be in competition with any other Perth club, more if no pirates What will happen to RL and the great strides forward made in WA in the last 7 years?

Which is something the commission need to look at. The game is at its strongest point financially basically ever. Memberships are on the up and we are continuing to open up new areas for juniors (PNG could provide a huge influx of new talent for the NRL) and Perth could also open more doors in this area.

Perth give the NRL a lot of flexibility with tv timeslots (and we can add more arvo games potentially which can be shown at night which is great for ratings and crowds). They also give us a good presence in a large market where we currently have none. It would also be a team which for the most part would be far less rain affected than the clubs down the eastern sea board.

Expansion already looks to be on the table and surely the time is now for Perth. Even if they decide to hold off till 2017 they need to start taking the steps soon. Perth, Brisbane, NZ and CC at the very least all need sides but Perth is the one which really needs to and should be first in line.

Lets hope it happens.

Another massive crowd at Manly, over 9 thousand announced, but looked terrible on TV.
Warriors only got 22 thousand to the eden park whitey elephant.
They got beaten again and probably wont make the eight.
Warriors crowds will be deminishing next year and we will have another area in decline.

Somebody needs to step up and be counted, crowds, viewers and expansion are all going south faster than Gulliver on his last yoyage.

Refs dont help, they make things worse, milking penalties and other indiscretions are now making the game unbearable to watch.
Be interested in crowd viewers, must be down down deep down.
I have barely watched a game this weekend.
But we will keep hanging on, chewing that last piece of straw, instead of admitting we have a problem houston and fixing the damm mess..
Back to the troll cave, .

Knights beat the Raiders in Canberra for only their 5th time in their history and their first time since 2006... Was that stale and predictable too?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're dreaming. By the time 3 mill people call Perth home, 4 or 5 will call Brisbane home. Projections don't mean shit in an ever changing economic and job climate. Brisbane has the wheels turning again, much better now then say 2 years ago when I left for Cairns.

I'm not anything, it's demographers and economists claiming Perth will be bigger than Brisbane in 15 years time. But your probably right, after all I am sure you know more about population growth than the experts lol.

Personally I hope it doesn't, it's a nice size now and more people equals more problems. Lock the gates now perth!

oikee

Juniors
Knights beat the Raiders in Canberra for only their 5th time in their history and their first time since 2006... Was that stale and predictable too?

The crowds in Canberra are shocking, and you can see why.
The Raiders played like a pack of old grandmothers at a knitting festival, no life whatsoever.
I cant watch them anymore, and i am sure plenty more cant either.
Thats the point, games where they should win they lose. Fans have had a gutful, i mean, look at the numbers, they dont lie.
Anyhow. I am still working out why fans are deserting the game in thousands, not hundreds.
I have a list of low crowds on the cave 15-16 what the game will be like, and i have het the nail on the head and are not finished yet.

The more free tickets the game gives away, the more damage they are doing to the code and brand.
My 10 dollar ticket plan across the game except for suncorp is a world-class idea. (behind the posts only)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Side note: NRL should lobby to get this Burnswood to be a multi-purpose stadium with fully retractable east and west (and maybe north and south stands).

Make it a condition of getting an NRL team and chuck in $10mil (ala AFL with ANZ)

or get Paterson Stadium redeveloped into the planned-FIFA WC configuration, single the AFL wont be playing there anymore...

Perth_Stadium.jpg

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Side note: NRL should lobby to get this Burnswood to be a multi-purpose stadium with fully retractable east and west (and maybe north and south stands).

Make it a condition of getting an NRL team and chuck in $10mil (ala AFL with ANZ)

or get Paterson Stadium redeveloped into the planned-FIFA WC configuration, single the AFL wont be playing there anymore...

Perth_Stadium.jpg

Great idea. love that stadium. 10 million worth spent, the only problem is that Perth will declare bankruptsy after they build the AFL ground, and no further money spent for NRL.

The NRL missed the boat in Perth.

jargan83

Coach
You are missing my point which is at the moment the eagles are at saturation, in 2019 season they will move into a new stadium with a capacity of an extra 24,000.

The Eagles aren't likely to be selling any walk up tickets to the new stadium due to them have a 5 year wait list for memberships at the moment. So they will continue to be at saturation.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Apparently all those RL fans in Perth are really closet AFL fans just waiting for the Eagles to move into their new stadium in 2019

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Eagles aren't likely to be selling any walk up tickets to the new stadium due to them have a 5 year wait list for memberships at the moment. So they will continue to be at saturation.

Not quite, there in waiting membership is around 7,500 and new stadium is around 24,000 bigger.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apparently all those RL fans in Perth are really closet AFL fans just waiting for the Eagles to move into their new stadium in 2019

No they are sports fans sick of not having a club to cheer for and attend regularly. After 6 Years of false dawns how long do you think people will sit around for before giving it up and finding a sport that does actually play in Perth to follow?

If they announce no expansion this time I am going to sign up to be a Wildcats member, never been to a basketball game in my life but they have a world class arena near pubs and I can't stand soccer or union and find afl too long and bit boring. Miss my live action and club to cheer for and been waiting 16 years which I consider long enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts