What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

big hit!

Bench
dugan
hayne
jennings
hopoate
b.morris
mullen
carney
tamou
farah
fifita
gallen
bird
merrin

bench- cordner, j.reynolds, watmough, and woods

looks a lot like last year's team, just changed the halves. thats all you lacked last year. it was close but we have the classy halves that win games if the forward pack can break even.

How do you use Gallen & Merrin in the same backrow? who gets pushed out and becomes the liability on the right edge?

we'd all like Gallen, bird, merrin and even watmough to start in the same team, but then balance is sacrificed and weakness emerge. bird is the only one at this stage who regularly plays on the edge. you need two players in your in the starting 3-man backrow who defend against more faster and agile players as well as hole-run themselves on the edge. neither of the other 4 listed above regularly do that. remember who they come up against here.........cronk, thurston, inglis, hodges, slater popping up, tate & boyd coming inside etc.

If fit, Lewis would take up that right edge position, but given his lack of football, someone else will have to be found to start in this position. Enter Beau Scott for mine and punt J reynolds from the squad completely. Watmough & Merrin can come on off the bench and rotate in the middle third where they belong and will have the most impact. Cordner can play middle and edge so can come on for spells for all of Gallen, Bird, & Scott...whatever is required.

i'd swap Fifita and Woods. let Woods & Tamou take the initial 20-25', then unleash Fifita & watmough/merrin in the back end of the first and the opening 20' of the 2nd half. Gallen will also need a spell which watmough/merrin are more than capable of covering in the middle third. Gallen should not play 80' in these games. we need impact. sure, he has the stamina, but a middle forward playing the full 80' in origin loses impact. the middle third has to be rotated efficiently and effectively.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
How do you use Gallen & Merrin in the same backrow? who gets pushed out and becomes the liability on the right edge?

we'd all like Gallen, bird, merrin and even watmough to start in the same team, but then balance is sacrificed and weakness emerge. bird is the only one at this stage who regularly plays on the edge. you need two players in your in the starting 3-man backrow who defend against more faster and agile players as well as hole-run themselves on the edge. neither of the other 4 listed above regularly do that. remember who they come up against here.........cronk, thurston, inglis, hodges, slater popping up, tate & boyd coming inside etc.

If fit, Lewis would take up that right edge position, but given his lack of football, someone else will have to be found to start in this position. Enter Beau Scott for mine and punt J reynolds from the squad completely. Watmough & Merrin can come on off the bench and rotate in the middle third where they belong and will have the most impact. Cordner can play middle and edge so can come on for spells for all of Gallen, Bird, & Scott...whatever is required.

i'd swap Fifita and Woods. let Woods & Tamou take the initial 20-25', then unleash Fifita & watmough/merrin in the back end of the first and the opening 20' of the 2nd half. Gallen will also need a spell which watmough/merrin are more than capable of covering in the middle third. Gallen should not play 80' in these games. we need impact. sure, he has the stamina, but a middle forward playing the full 80' in origin loses impact. the middle third has to be rotated efficiently and effectively.

This and this for sure.

I also agree with nearly everything else you've said.

I'm starting to develop a bit of man love for you Big Hit!:)

Joker's Wild

Coach
Scott is tearing up the right edge for the Knights right now, just about their only forward doing anything with the ball for them. He would be NSW best option on that edge

Tayjack

Juniors
Scott is tearing up the right edge for the Knights right now, just about their only forward doing anything with the ball for them. He would be NSW best option on that edge

His had two pretty fair games after 8, hardly tearing it up, Bennett gave him a push after the raiders game -and everyone's on the bandwagon, if he's been tearing it up over 8 games fair enough, but geezzzzz he's hardly been in great form.

Noname36

First Grade
His had two pretty fair games after 8, hardly tearing it up, Bennett gave him a push after the raiders game -and everyone's on the bandwagon, if he's been tearing it up over 8 games fair enough, but geezzzzz he's hardly been in great form.

You obviously haven't seen the Knights play this year. Scott has been one of the only consistent shining lights in a few very poor team performances.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Um no mate, he has consistently been the Knights best forward all year

Please dont comment when you have no idea

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Cordner looking pretty average for Australia... Hasn't impressed me at rep level yet eiher.

Not sure If I'd pick him for NSW given the quality and proven performers that are available in the backrow.

Fat Krion

Juniors
Cordner looking pretty average for Australia... Hasn't impressed me at rep level yet eiher.

Not sure If I'd pick him for NSW given the quality and proven performers that are available in the backrow.

Cordner would be better served coming off the bench for NSW, would prefer Galley to start in backrow. Cordner is a great hole runner and against a tired defence would prove dangerous.

timka4

Bench
Yeah Cordner hasn't impressed either but I think he can become quality in rep arena, bench for sure though

Tayjack

Juniors
Agree - cordner possibly bench. Bird, Watmough and Gallen have to be in the backrow if we are to win, no question those 3 need to start.