What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Springs

First Grade
Is it not 'cool' to use position numbers anymore?

Radradra isn't eligible (hasn't stopped anyone before though) and Dugan shouldn't be near the side. Brett Stewart would be the only one to push Hayne to centre and since Stewart hasn't been too crash hot on or off the field this year then Hayne should be fullback.

nsw2012

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings/J.Morris
4. Hayne
5. Taufua
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Watmough
12. Hoffman
13. Bird

14. Cordner
15. Fifita
16. Merrin
17. T.Williams (Lewis wont be ready in time)

Sime_11

Juniors
Hayne
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Tafua
Reynolds
Mullen
Fifita
Farah
Tamou
Watmough
Bird
Gallen

Lewis (Fensom if Lewis injured)
Merrin
Mason
Cordner

big hit!

Bench
Is it not 'cool' to use position numbers anymore?

Radradra isn't eligible (hasn't stopped anyone before though) and Dugan shouldn't be near the side. Brett Stewart would be the only one to push Hayne to centre and since Stewart hasn't been too crash hot on or off the field this year then Hayne should be fullback.

I didn't realise Radruku wasn't eligible. I've seen a couple of teams with him in and assumed he was. can go with Hoppa or maybe Richards then. Hoppa reckons he ain't ready but he has been solid this season and will be there in the future anyway. I'm sick of NSW selectors picking BS wingers on club form when it is obvious they will be clearly out of their depth at Origin. The outcome is that they're there for a game or two and then turfed out. Padding the NRL stats by simply being the last man on an overlap does not an Origin winger make. If goal kicking is going to be an issue, then Patty Richards can go on his preferred left-side and swap B Morris onto the right with this bro.

use of positions isn't about coolness. I've always referenced my teams and general conversation by specific positions. The number on the back isn't accurate or doesn't explain the full story. I find lists of teams pointless if it's not explained how they'll be used.

With amended position abbreviations, you can clearly see where they'll defend as in who who is R1, R2, L3, L4 etc, and also, where the combinations will come in attack as the old back rowers and also halves will primarily organise and launch short-side attacks on the side they also defend. The open-side plays will go first through the hand of the half depending on the side the movement originates from, i.e., Kelly from the left to right, and Mullen from right to left.

Left-side: Richards - Jennings - Kelly - Bird
Right-side: B Morris - J Morris - Mullen- Scott

Middle third: Tamou, Woods, Gallen, Farah

The interchange of Fifita, Merrin, Watmough will be middle third rotations with Cordner able to rotate here if required and also able to rotate on the edge for Bird or Scott.

Spot On said:
You definitely put together good teams big hit. Like the halves combo. They compliment each other nicely. Not a Jennings fan so possibly shift Hayne to centre and Dugan to fullback if he's committed to the cause. Otherwise I'd love to see what that team could do.Kelly would cop a truckload of traffic though.

cheers and spot on. ;-)

Yep, Kelly on the left will definitely be targeted by QLD right-side players - Thaiday, Hodges, Cronk, but NSW will have some strong players on that side too in Bird & Jennings.

The Pearce era has to end. Although Farah's presence will make it difficult for any halves that NSW pick to command the team and the match, the fact that organisation on 4th & 5th tackle plays has been non-existent for the blues whenever Farah has or hasn't played over the last several years is indication that Peacre has fallen short his job on the team. Even if NSW get flogged, change needs to be made and Kelly & Mullen need the series to combine. Dependent on the development of Brooks, Kelly and Mullen could be permanent halves combo for several years.

Last edited:

GONZO72

Juniors
For everyone selecting their Origin sides, there is one important factor you must consider. After a try is scored, a conversion follows. They are called goal kickers.

Laurie Daley is not going to enter an origin series with a stop gap kicker. In other words, someone who doesn't kick goals for his club side.

With Maloney seemingly out, don't be suprised, if John Sutton is at 6 and Richards is on the wing.

Sime_11

Juniors
does mullen take the goalkicks for Newcastle?

what about Flash gordon on the wing, yes he is a fullback but he played wing at penrith and what player is gonna turn down origin, not to mention he is one of the best goalkickers in the NRL imo. And has played origin as well, so no need to worry about blooding etc.

timka4

Bench
Gordon on the wing is a good idea also, doubt many would be upset if he was selected on the wing. I think the real 5/8 race is between Reynolds and Mullen now, a lot riding on this CvC game despite some thoughts imo

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Hayne
Morris
Lawrence
Morris
Richards
Reynolds
Brooks
Galloway
Farah
Woods
Bird
Lewis
Gallen

Fulton
Tamou
Merrin
Fifita
18th man: Watmough

Jason Maher

Immortal
Why not David Mead for the vacant wing spot? Has been on fie this season, and has played most of his career on the wing, so it wouldn't like shoving TheDugan, Hayne, or Stewart there.

Tayjack

Juniors
Hayne
Morris
Lawrence
Morris
Richards
Reynolds
Brooks
Galloway
Farah
Woods
Bird
Lewis
Gallen

Fulton
Tamou
Merrin
Fifita
18th man: Watmough

I don't know what to say about this team, pretty unbelievable you got the back row spot on. The rest I'm seeing you as a tigers fan, but if we trudged that side out, inglis, hodges, slater would put on 50 points between them through that back line?????seriously.

GONZO72

Juniors
So James Maloney won't be missing any football now. He will be available for the Roosters next match.

It's decided.....Pearce and Maloney barring injury are $1.05 to be origin halves.

Sujskiez

Juniors
For everyone selecting their Origin sides, there is one important factor you must consider. After a try is scored, a conversion follows. They are called goal kickers.

Laurie Daley is not going to enter an origin series with a stop gap kicker. In other words, someone who doesn't kick goals for his club side.

With Maloney seemingly out, don't be suprised, if John Sutton is at 6 and Richards is on the wing.
Put hayne at conversions i heard he was really a good kicker

nick87

Coach
Cordner should be the first blue back rower picked. He is an absolute gun. The type of player who IMO, canturn the series NSW's way.

Latest posts