What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jersey numbers history

DC_fan

Coach
Players should wear whatever numbers they want up to #99. Players now play multiple positions in the course of a match making the current numbering system often useless.

Plus it's another revenue stream for clubs.

I totally agree and have been pushing for this to happen for years. Opens up great marketing opportunities.

DC_fan

Coach
so what happens when you get one of these new fandangled precious players who is attached to their number (lets say it's number 23, as this is what most sports stars with over inflated egos seem to want)..

a scenario of two players, both playing different positions at different clubs..

so you have "player a", who wears number 23 (and is super attached to it) at his current club.. he even has his own line of non-club merchandise with 'number 23' all over it..

he gets offered a contract at another club, where "player b" currently wears 23 (he is also attached to it as it defines 'his brand').. he likes his number so much he has it written into his contract that he has to wear 23..

"player a" won't come unless he can wear 23 (as it will affect his non-club merchandise line), and "player b" won't give it up because he is contracted to wear it..

your club wants both players..

what do you do next?

The player who wants the number buys it off the player who has it. Problem solved.

McNulty

Juniors
so what happens when you get one of these new fandangled precious players who is attached to their number (lets say it's number 23, as this is what most sports stars with over inflated egos seem to want)..

a scenario of two players, both playing different positions at different clubs..

so you have "player a", who wears number 23 (and is super attached to it) at his current club.. he even has his own line of non-club merchandise with 'number 23' all over it..

he gets offered a contract at another club, where "player b" currently wears 23 (he is also attached to it as it defines 'his brand').. he likes his number so much he has it written into his contract that he has to wear 23..

"player a" won't come unless he can wear 23 (as it will affect his non-club merchandise line), and "player b" won't give it up because he is contracted to wear it..

your club wants both players..

what do you do next?
Scissors, Paper, Rock...

goodplayer

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Clive Churchill wore the number 13 so that wouldn't surprise me that we used the Union numbering system and went from 13 to 1. Probably would've gone from 1 to 13 in the 60's though.
your just making this up now . proof please ;-)

the beavers

Juniors
I miss when players coming from reserve grade as late replacements would have ridiculously high numbers.

Osbourne wearing number 42 in a grand final...
peter Johnson coming off the bench for Parramatta wearing 55..
...on a Saturday afternoon!
the good ol days...

RedVee

First Grade
The forward numbering change was to make it in line with the RLIF, or "international" numbering.

Australian players when playing Tests would always wear that system.

As for a winger wearing 11, who knows. What level was it. A lot of the time's at lower levels you wore whatever jersey fitted your properly. Sometimes the 11 would be an extra small, and the 1 an extra large etc.
Not always, only in the NH I think. Def used 1-13 in Australian hosted tests in the 70s.

I'm pretty sure Clive Churchill wore the number 13 so that wouldn't surprise me that we used the Union numbering system and went from 13 to 1. Probably would've gone from 1 to 13 in the 60's though.

Not necessarially, I think the photos I've seen of Churchill in 13 where on a Kangaroo tour, some same scenario as the Gasnier example.

Canard

Immortal
Not always, only in the NH I think. Def used 1-13 in Australian hosted tests in the 70s.

Not necessarially, I think the photos I've seen of Churchill in 13 where on a Kangaroo tour, some same scenario as the Gasnier example.

In the NH?

Yeh I should say they wore it from the 80s onwards at least.

Osbourne wearing number 42 in a grand final...
peter Johnson coming off the bench for Parramatta wearing 55..
...on a Saturday afternoon!
the good ol days...

I remember going to a Bulldogs game at Belmore vs Canberra when I was very young. Someone was making a comeback in 1st Grade, and the winger got dropped to Reserves. Canterbury's backs in reggies that day were:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
One of the reasons why players choosing their own numbers may not work in rugby league is because players want to wear the number 1 jersey for Australia or the number 7 for Queensland or the number 13 for Penrith.

Personally I'd prefer players names on club and state jerseys and the numbering system left alone.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Wouldnt mind seeing us adopt the super league squad numbers. Only downside i can see is if an injury plagued team would have jerseys in the 20s and 30s running around and would make it look disorganised.

ram raid

Bench
I'm pretty sure your dad knows what number he used to wear. Maybe it was just a system unique to his team.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I remember going to a Bulldogs game at Belmore vs Canberra when I was very young. Someone was making a comeback in 1st Grade, and the winger got dropped to Reserves. Canterbury's backs in reggies that day were:

In the 80s they had continuous numbering from first grade down to reserves and third grade.

eg 1-13 - First grade
14-26 - Reserve Grade
27-39 - Third grade (SGBall?)

Reserves then were numbered from 40

Reserves for first grade came from Reserve grade.

kdalymc

Bench
In the 80s they had continuous numbering from first grade down to reserves and third grade.

eg 1-13 - First grade
14-26 - Reserve Grade
27-39 - Third grade (SGBall?)

Reserves then were numbered from 40

Reserves for first grade came from Reserve grade.
yeah this was so shit.
but yeah just a quick revival seeing as this has been the shittiest off season to date for the forums. old boys having another bet with a lad down the pub but i reckon i agree with @Canard

"A lot of the time's at lower levels you wore whatever jersey fitted your properly. Sometimes the 11 would be an extra small, and the 1 an extra large etc."

maybe