What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans want expansîon to perth and brisbane

insert.pause

First Grade
Perth favoured to field NRL team
Nick Taylor
December 20, 2014, 10:34 am
The NRL has put expansion firmly back on the agenda, with Perth a favourite to be offered a side when a new TV rights deal is struck.

The current $1.2 billion broadcast agreement finishes at the end of the 2017 season, but the NRL has confirmed expansion talks for 2018 will start next year, with plans to invest more than $200 million in the game.

NRL officials were in Perth this week for discussions with State Government and local league representatives as the competition changed its name from the WARL to NRLWA.

NRLWA has already registered the West Coast Pirates as the name for its franchise bid.

Consortiums in Brisbane, Ipswich, Rockhampton and Wellington are also interested.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said talks on the future of the game would start early next year.

"We are going to pull it apart and look at the full footprint of the game," Greenberg said.

"We will go in with a very open mind. Realistically a new club would need 12-18 months to get up and running which is why the discussions will start next year.

"Markets across the country have a strong appetite for a team and Perth is no different. Numbers and engagements in Perth are growing year on year.

"Participation numbers show steady growth in WA, TV ratings continue to grow and we watch all those numbers with interest.

"It is good to see a great venue (nib Stadium) and there are a lot of people that love their rugby league so it augurs well for us in the future."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25827678/perth-favoured-to-field-nrl-team/

Diesel

Referee
That's the most positive article I have read about expansion.

That's 2 articles written in the last 4-5 weeks where an NRL offical has said they're going to pull apart and look at the footprint of the game , which makes me think what they're really trying to say.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think Raiders should be considered given their poor crowds...

Titans?

Don't think QLD Govt would be happy though given the new stadium they forked out for...

Apart from crowds numbers, membership sales and recent on field success, we excel in every category.

If we could get everybody that bought the Hulk jersey to buy a membership and attend a game or two every year all our off field issues would be solved, unfortunately we haven't figured out how to get those people to attend games regardless of our success on the field yet.

The question of whether or not the NRL needs a team in Canberra, or if having a team in Canberra is holding the NRL back isn't really for me to judge.
However I'd argue that at the moment given our location that we are both strategically important to the competition as a whole and that we aren't a burden on the NRL in any way.

In regards to the GC I really don't know enough about their situation to give an informed opinion, I do however think that with the right backing and the right people in change that they can become successful.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

Cue Perth Red to rub one out! In all seriousness Perth is the obvious choice given the time difference and the facillities. Expect a two conference set up with all the Sydney teams playing each other twice and out of towners once.

carcharias

Immortal
4.30 pm they'd get to see the first Friday night game.

Can't imagine too many sponsors keen to back that time slot .

People are still at work.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's not the TV time slots in Perth that the networks will care about... Everyone knows they are/will be miniscule...

It's the live TV back to the East Coast at 9.30pm and 6.00 Sunday nights..

Live sport is all TV has got going for it these days...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll believe it when I see it. Gallop strung us along for 6 years. At least its a positive hope, first one in quite some time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Reading the above article, Doyle would have inside knowledge and it appears they're pointing towards expansion by relocation, so with Perth and Brisbane being the most likely place for expansion, what underperforming teams best fit those locations?

Considering the potential bonus the ARLC is offering clubs (up to $1m), i wonder if the Commission would consider using that as a carrot/stick to get a given franchise to move...

Perhaps tell them that, as they are, they do not benefit the game enough and will therefore not receive any of the bonus, whereas if they were to move they would be assured the full bonus for X years.

S, rather than being too aggressive and stripping licences or too passive and waiting for a team to fall over, the ARLC would use incentives and disincentives to actively reshape the NRL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'll believe it when I see it. Gallop strung us along for 6 years. At least its a positive hope, first one in quite some time.

Take heart in this
NRL officials were in Perth this week for discussions with State Government and local league representatives as the competition changed its name from the WARL to NRLWA.

Gallop was always so "free market", he just wanted it to happen by itself with a lower team relocating under their own steam.

The ARLC are actively seeking support from the government. That may be only for junior funding, but most likely the State Gov. would be looking to make a deal, "we fund juniors/facilities/etc, if you give us a National team".

The article does make some big leaps, but the facts behind it are still promising.

pHyR3

Juniors
Considering the potential bonus the ARLC is offering clubs (up to $1m), i wonder if the Commission would consider using that as a carrot/stick to get a given franchise to move...

Perhaps tell them that, as they are, they do not benefit the game enough and will therefore not receive any of the bonus, whereas if they were to move they would be assured the full bonus for X years.

S, rather than being too aggressive and stripping licences or too passive and waiting for a team to fall over, the ARLC would use incentives and disincentives to actively reshape the NRL.

well thats essentially the NRL forcing a club to move if they withhold the NRL grant.

they could do anything they want to any club pretty much by saying 'do this or no 7 million every year.'

theyd also have substantial power by holding club licenses.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Cue Perth Red to rub one out! In all seriousness Perth is the obvious choice given the time difference and the facillities. Expect a two conference set up with all the Sydney teams playing each other twice and out of towners once.

Strongly disagree with a sydney conference. I do support two conferences but with a mixture of sydney and other clubs in each. To burden the out of town clubs with that much travel would be unfair.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Out of town clubs travel every second week regardless. Only two clubs that would be affected slightly would be Newcastle and Canberra but if you ask me a two hour flight shits on a two or 3 hour bus trip regardless. Maximises sydney rivalries while also builds on intestate and regional rivalries.

BuffaloRules

Coach
When the League expands to 18 teams, there wont be 25-26 games a year during the regular season so the idea of two divisions aint happening...

There could be as few as 20 rounds where you only play 3 teams twice a year...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
When the League expands to 18 teams, there wont be 25-26 games a year during the regular season so the idea of two divisions aint happening...

A conference system isnt so much about structuring the regular seasons as it is structuring the finals series...

If we get to 18 or 20 teams, the bottom few will be totally out of the race very early in the year. Conferences are about providing the hope of your team getting through as an underdog (which makes me prefer divisions of 4-6 rather than 8-10).

Plus, conference systems focused on the final series allows the NRL to structure in where they want derby matches (eg: 4 conferences with 1v2 of each group to qualify for the later combined rounds).
You can structure in derby matches in the early finals rounds when you need to compete for a crowd then structure in a non-derby game for the GF to create a new rivalry within an already big event

BuffaloRules

Coach
A conference system isnt so much about structuring the regular seasons as it is structuring the finals series...

If we get to 18 or 20 teams, the bottom few will be totally out of the race very early in the year. Conferences are about providing the hope of your team getting through as an underdog (which makes me prefer divisions of 4-6 rather than 8-10).

Plus, conference systems focused on the final series allows the NRL to structure in where they want derby matches (eg: 4 conferences with 1v2 of each group to qualify for the later combined rounds).
You can structure in derby matches in the early finals rounds when you need to compete for a crowd then structure in a non-derby game for the GF to create a new rivalry within an already big event

All very interesting.. ( not really) but my comment was in relation to the earlier posts about a Sydney and Non Sydney Conference...

Two Divisions/ Conferences Can't happen with 18 teams or more...

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

You honestly think the the nrl will reduce the season and hence the product by 6 weeks per season? I guess you also believe Santa will be paying you a visit in the next few days!

BuffaloRules

Coach
You honestly think the the nrl will reduce the season and hence the product by 6 weeks per season? I guess you also believe Santa will be paying you a visit in the next few days!

Not at all.

But they won't increase the number of games currently played.

You have heard of Byes right?

Maybe they could have say 3-4 a year?

Latest posts