What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Smith charged cocaine trafficking

thorson1987

Coach
Beau Fallon at court ready for a 3-D experience

837704-dc00571e-c2c3-11e4-bab7-f2e5e1157951.jpg

What the f**k is he on?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Fines are supposed to be deterrents. If they are to be deterrents they need to be a % of a persons wage, not a dollar figure.

If athletes had to pay a months wage every time they were caught on a possession charge they'd think a bit harder about it. Nobody that can afford to use coke regularly is deterred by $2500.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
he asked for a large quantity for a party, and yet somehow no trafficking charges have been upheld? he had it all to himself? wtf? he's a very lucky boy with no conviction here. justice is not served

BunniesMan

Immortal
All drug possession charges should be met with at worst a fine. Its not like Hunt is a danger to the community.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for more reasonable drug laws. Jailing non violent drug users is the height of stupidity. But so much media space devoted to this and then it amounts to nothing. The supply charges were just a negotiating tactic in the end.

Fines are supposed to be deterrents. If they are to be deterrents they need to be a % of a persons wage, not a dollar figure.

If athletes had to pay a months wage every time they were caught on a possession charge they'd think a bit harder about it. Nobody that can afford to use coke regularly is deterred by $2500.

Like the Swiss and their "base speeding fines on your income" policy?

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/record-speeding-fine-dents-swiss-bank-account/

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Don't get me wrong, I am all for more reasonable drug laws. Jailing non violent drug users is the height of stupidity. But so much media space devoted to this and then it amounts to nothing. The supply charges were just a negotiating tactic in the end.

That's the legal system for you. I doubt the supply charge would have stuck so its better for the tax payer if they don't pointlessly over reach. Especially if he's willing to plea to possession. Those boys need to be careful. A cocaine addiction is a fast way to get really really in deep with organised crime. Hence the older player charges.

If its just a bit of a weekend party that went on too long no harm done (besides all the poor south Americans who get killed directly because of the drug trade) but its a sneaky one the ole coke.

Canard

Immortal
The Queensland Rugby Union have been tougher on Karmichael Hunt than the courts. They have fined Hunt $30,000 and suspended him for 6 weeks. Source - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...with-queensland-reds-but-fined-and-su/6283682

If it was a player they considered to be of no value to them anymore (i.e a Wendall Sailor or Lote Tuquiri) you can bet he would have recieved a far hefter suspension.

The good news for League is that the QRU have set the precedent that we can fine and suspend by and not receive to much blowback from the press. (except the usual suspects).

betcats

Referee
If it was a player they considered to be of no value to them anymore (i.e a Wendall Sailor or Lote Tuquiri) you can bet he would have recieved a far hefter suspension.

The good news for League is that the QRU have set the precedent that we can fine and suspend by and not receive to much blowback from the press. (except the usual suspects).

There will be blood(blowback).

He gets his blow back as well? f**k me, no wonder he plead guilty.

seanoff

Juniors
seems about correct.

the QLD judicial system and the Reds handed Hunt about the same penalty that Vic judicial system and Geelong and the AFL handed Stokes for the same thing.

the other guys are being defended by monkeys unless they have them on more than what Hunt was doing.

no harm, no foul.

Latest posts