What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hayne effect.

Knownothing

Juniors
Need to be careful union don't piggy back off " the hayne plane" effect

Listening to triple m over night i heard a fox sports advert for the union world cup that used a yank announcer using NFL terms to describe rugby union....this is a very blatant reference to hayne & the 49ers in my opinion..

All america knows is hayne played rugby...and is a rugby star...americans,in general, don't know theres 2 coded..and the union mob know it

Every time the word "rugby" is used, guess which game gets the benefit?

Rugby. Rugby union. Rugby league. Touch rugby. The average Yank sports fan would automatically put them all into the same little box.

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. Tosser.

I dont think that is the issue. He clearly asked what Americans who live in the country think?

What's the benefit of an opinion from any one else be it English or Australians unless they are on the ground and know what the general public is thinking.

By the way I have read blogs where people have gone on web sites to find out more about RL and they like what they see.

Are they going to dump their favourite sport tomorrow - no but they now have an interest at least and that was never the case until Jarryd came along.

One thing I can tell you is that if a person who has never played their sport before and becomes a success NFL sides will be looking at how to reproduce this. Everyone looks for an edge and if NRL players can do this then they will be all over it.

For all RL fans regardless we should be proud of Jarryd's success. He has shown such guts and determination to make it and it reflects on our sport and what it is about.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I dont think that is the issue. He clearly asked what Americans who live in the country think?

What's the benefit of an opinion from any one else be it English or Australians unless they are on the ground and know what the general public is thinking.
The benefit is that people live in the real world and understand how human beings operate. If you're hoping for some American posters to come on here and tell you that interest in RL is booming because of Hayne and that the sport is about to take off all over the USA then great, if that's what you want to hear then there it is. RL fever sweeping the nation because some no-name rookie from some minor NFL team used to play a different sport.

The reality is that people 'reading blogs' or hearing mention of RL doesn't mean a thing in terms of RL development. Even if we take it to an absolute extreme everyone in the USA now knows what RL is, it doesn't mean a thing because the sport just isn't there apart from at a very minor, local level. Unless there is a visible local competition then general public awareness is quite frankly irrelevant at this stage. Aside from the NFL themselves deciding to invest in RL as a summer TV alternative, the absolute best possible scenario here is that someone stumbles across RL, likes it, cares enough and is fit and motivated enough to want to take up an involvement the sport, has enough initiative to check online for any RL presence in the USA and happens to live within a reasonable distance of an existing USARL team. A pretty unlikely series of events and not even really worth discussing apart from the absolute zealots who seem to jump on this type of thing.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Oh ffs you are all a bunch of know it alls, just sit back and enjoy the Hayne Planes ride, not a single one of us can see into the future no matter how up your own arse you are, fact!

joshreading

Staff member
The NRL in particular should be using this brief hype to push the NRL finals using video facebook and youtube ads in particular to NFL fans that show any interest in Jarrad Hayne coverage or the 49er's. Any time the 49er's play another team in the NFL for this season they should target fans of that team to 'check the game' that makes athletes that can crack into the NFL in 3 games.

Same game different rules - classic Jack Gibson quote.

They need a 'free sign up' to watch the game that makes an NRL sensation - Big Hits, Big Personalities, no it's not the NFL it's the NRL'
(ok, maybe something better than that line ;) )

In signing up they should be sent a link to a brief highlights video explaining the rules (highlighting Haynes involvement) in NFL terms. The Crowe one is ok but the NRL can do better.

If they get people to sign up for free access, no just a link to a video, the NRL can start to create a database of contact's in the USA that may have an interest in the NRL and in time RL in general. This is how the USARL can get growth out of this as well.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The NRL in particular should be using this brief hype to push the NRL finals using video facebook and youtube ads in particular to NFL fans that show any interest in Jarrad Hayne coverage or the 49er's. Any time the 49er's play another team in the NFL for this season they should target fans of that team to 'check the game' that makes athletes that can crack into the NFL in 3 games.

Same game different rules - classic Jack Gibson quote.

They need a 'free sign up' to watch the game that makes an NRL sensation - Big Hits, Big Personalities, no it's not the NFL it's the NRL'

In signing up they should be sent a link to a brief highlights video explaining the rules (highlighting Haynes involvement) in NFL terms. The Crowe one is ok but the NRL can do better.

If they get people to sign up for free access, no just a link to a video, the NRL can start to create a database of contact's in the USA that may have an interest in the NRL and in time RL in general. This is how the USARL can get growth out of this as well.
They will be subscribing to Fox Soccer Plus in their thousands.

rob749

Juniors

It's only ONE athlete, not ATHLETES, and he was the cream of the crop. And he'll be playing specialtoy teams. Try to keep hyperbole in check.

The people who give a shit have seen the youtube clips already. They watched it then went right back to their Fantasy Football picks.

I think the main priority is to get coverage for USARL where it already "strong". They've worked there arses off for it and it would be great to get more interest where people can actually come see games.

THE RLIF/NRL could/should assist the USARL financially, I'm sure they have a plan with what to do with the money to help make it more viable as a professional sport. IMO the main thing lacking from the USARL is media, and I daresay that's down to money.

They will be subscribing to Fox Soccer Plus in their thousands.

I'd say thousands would be a great result! The fanbase on the whole East Coast is probably somewhere around 10,000.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I think the main priority is to get coverage for USARL where it already "strong". They've worked there arses off for it and it would be great to get more interest where people can actually come see games.

THE RLIF/NRL could/should assist the USARL financially, I'm sure they have a plan with what to do with the money to help make it more viable as a professional sport. IMO the main thing lacking from the USARL is media, and I daresay that's down to money.
It is what it is. The USARL isn't a professional league, many of the teams especially in the North don't even play at stadiums with bleachers, they aren't really in a position to command a huge media presence at the moment. The first step is to get to the stage where all the teams (or at least a good number of them) are capable of putting on a professional matchday experience like the Axemen, then we can start thinking about growing the media profile.

rob749

Juniors
It is what it is. The USARL isn't a professional league, many of the teams especially in the North don't even play at stadiums with bleachers, they aren't really in a position to command a huge media presence at the moment. The first step is to get to the stage where all the teams (or at least a good number of them) are capable of putting on a professional matchday experience like the Axemen, then we can start thinking about growing the media profile.

Agreed. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - media draws interest and crowds but crowds justify media investment. I think the ball is rolling in the South with them pledging to record every match.

Personally one thing I would like to see is more player interviews.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I don't expect RL to "explode" in the US, Hayne or no Hayne. I just asked if any RL people in the US could see an opportunity here.

If his effect adds 10 more players or 100 more interested people that is a positive.

In my opinion it won't hurt RL here or there. As others have said, we'll wait and see if it benefits RL in any way.

Knownothing

Juniors
I don't expect RL to "explode" in the US, Hayne or no Hayne. I just asked if any RL people in the US could see an opportunity here.

If his effect adds 10 more players or 100 more interested people that is a positive.

In my opinion it won't hurt RL here or there. As others have said, we'll wait and see if it benefits RL in any way.

The likeliest outcome will be an explosion of interest here in the NFL. Hard to see how that will benefit our domestic sporting competitions, in fact it might take sponsors and TV money away from them.

Evil Homer

Staff member

Don't you think it's funny that this ridiculous speculative, pie-in-the-sky thread has more posts than any thread relating to the 2015 USARL season, which is actual Americans playing actual RL in America?

Dogs Of War

Coach
There could be interest if something was put in place to assist it. Like a transition program and feelers out to get undrafted players interested. But that takes money. So unless someone stumps up money nothing will happen.

siv

First Grade
Someone should send out flyers to the players and managers who missed the cut

Highlighting the potential pathway to the NFL via RL

Dogs Of War

Coach
What is the potential pathway? Play rugby league in the USA? How is that comp a pathway to the NRL?

At best those who.miss the cut but where close will try to keep training and liik at the CFL.

RoosTah

Juniors
Don't you think it's funny that this ridiculous speculative, pie-in-the-sky thread has more posts than any thread relating to the 2015 USARL season, which is actual Americans playing actual RL in America?

Not at all. The Hayne story is a fairly big deal and has generated a tonne of publicity here, so it's only natural for people to wonder if his presence and success in the US will help raise the profile of Rugby League.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Not at all. The Hayne story is a fairly big deal and has generated a tonne of publicity here, so it's only natural for people to wonder if his presence and success in the US will help raise the profile of Rugby League.
Yeah. To Australian fans, a non-story about an Aussie playing a different sport is more relevant to international RL development than actual international RL development. And people wonder why the sport is so underdeveloped at international level.

Latest posts