What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
Last Sunday's epic grand final, which is being replayed on a constant rotation in the foyer of League Central, was the second highest rating television program of the year so far – behind Origin II and ahead of Origin I.
The figures give Smith confidence the NRL will secure an overall broadcast rights figure to rival the $2.508 billion, six-year deal announced by AFL, despite upsetting News Corp by selling four free-to-air matches to Channel Nine for $925 million in a deal that will see Fox Sports lose the Saturday night match and the end of Monday night football from 2018.
"We envisaged that negotiations would take some time and they will but in no way are we unhappy with the value of our rights and the proposition that is before us," Smith said.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nrl-crowds-20151008-gk4g47.html#ixzz3nxqV7hFd
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Last Week

Bench
If they get less because we don't have a ninth game then it is no ones fault but the arlc. They have had plenty of time to be ready for a ninth ga,e for this deal and done nothing, afl knew that a ninth game was worth $'s and got their backsides into gear years ago and made it happen and have reaped the financial rewards from a higher deal because of it.

To say well we get less because afl has more games when we've done nothing to capitalise on the potential for expansion ourself is just a lame excuse?

re other points fair enough but as you point out the fact we have bigger audiences and some marquee products that afl do not have plus more rounds in the NRL should balance out the adverts argument I would have thought?

Not is saying less money will mean NRL is dying but at some point if we keep getting less money for a better product you have to question why. Let's hope we don't have to have that discussion and Smith delivers.

You didn't read docbrowns post at all did you?

axl rose

Bench
So many league journos are simpletons, they really are unsophisticated. Th game is moving to become more modern and professionally run and the league journos are really being left behind.

I have seen the Kent and Ben Ikin show once. It set the bar so low it almost made the footy show look good.

JamesRustle

First Grade
If they get less because we don't have a ninth game then it is no ones fault but the arlc. They have had plenty of time to be ready for a ninth ga,e for this deal and done nothing, afl knew that a ninth game was worth $'s and got their backsides into gear years ago and made it happen and have reaped the financial rewards from a higher deal because of it.

To say well we get less because afl has more games when we've done nothing to capitalise on the potential for expansion ourself is just a lame excuse?

re other points fair enough but as you point out the fact we have bigger audiences and some marquee products that afl do not have plus more rounds in the NRL should balance out the adverts argument I would have thought?

Not is saying less money will mean NRL is dying but at some point if we keep getting less money for a better product you have to question why. Let's hope we don't have to have that discussion and Smith delivers.

Smaller squads, less money needed to pay same salary as afl. Pound for pound we're punching above our weight.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You didn't read docbrowns post at all did you?

Indeed I did, which is why I pointed out some alternative theory to his!

Let's look at it $ for $ value
In afl favour
Nine games
More add space
Bigger metro ratings (which seem to matter to advertisers though I dint understand why)
Better capital city reach

In NRL favour
Bigger overall audiences
SOO
4 more rounds a season
Bigger finals ratings
Higher pay tv ratings

So why should we be happy if NRL once again gets less from the Australian media? End of day if the ninth game is that big a deal the NRL should have expanded by now and have it to offer.

Last Week

Bench
You'll never be satisfied until you have a team in Perth. Nothing will ever be enough for you until the Pirates are in. Constant death riding, negativity and agendas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Give it a rest, nothing to do with a Perth team. I am resigned to the fact we aren't getting a team anytime in the next 5 years at least in all likelihood and what ever I post on a message board isnt going to make a blind bit of difference to Perth getting a team lol

Why not contribute something useful to the discussion, do you think we should be expecting the NRL to get the same or better money from Australian media for NRL as afl gets?

elbusto

Coach
Give it a rest, nothing to do with a Perth team. I am resigned to the fact we aren't getting a team anytime in the next 5 years at least in all likelihood and what ever I post on a message board isnt going to make a blind bit of difference to Perth getting a team lol

Why not contribute something useful to the discussion, do you think we should be expecting the NRL to get the same or better money from Australian media for NRL as afl gets?

Give it a rest? Give us a bloody rest mate. You are a monotonous drone pushing one barrow. We all know what it is.

You are the most negative prick on this forum and that is saying something!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Sydney conspiracy, keeping the west down.

TheRam

Coach
You'll never be satisfied until you have a team in Perth. Nothing will ever be enough for you until the Pirates are in. Constant death riding, negativity and agendas.

You are kidding, mate. Just because PR has a different opinion to yours, doesn't mean he is wrong or death riding jack sh*t.

Sure he wants a Perth team in, which real league fan doesn't? It's a disgrace that we haven't got one in a decade or more ago. But that's another story.

As for having confidence in the ARLC to come up with a similar or better deal then the AFL's, sorry but history tells us they won't. Sure they may surprise us all, but don't hold your breath.

All your optimistic and logical theories are fine, but they mean nothing.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Interesting to see Dave Smiths interview with Rothfield.
In 10 years time he sees the nrl having 18 teams. Whether thats in this tv deal or not remains to be seen.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You are kidding, mate. Just because PR has a different opinion to yours, doesn't mean he is wrong or death riding jack sh*t.

Sure he wants a Perth team in, which real league fan doesn't? It's a disgrace that we haven't got one in a decade or more ago. But that's another story.

As for having confidence in the ARLC to come up with a similar or better deal then the AFL's, sorry but history tells us they won't. Sure they may surprise us all, but don't hold your breath.

All your optimistic and logical theories are fine, but they mean nothing.

you whinge as much as PR

i
you sad you were going to go and support the Swans so just leave already

TheRam

Coach
you whinge as much as PR

i
you sad you were going to go and support the Swans so just leave already

Ooh you're such a bad arse, with your rotating pentagram and devilish name. Such a tough mofo. The bully of the site.

But just like all bullies, you so predictably have sh*t for brains.

But haters gonna hate. Troll.

RoosTah

Juniors
Indeed I did, which is why I pointed out some alternative theory to his!

Let's look at it $ for $ value
In afl favour
Nine games
More add space
Bigger metro ratings (which seem to matter to advertisers though I dint understand why)
Better capital city reach

In NRL favour
Bigger overall audiences
SOO
4 more rounds a season
Bigger finals ratings
Higher pay tv ratings

So why should we be happy if NRL once again gets less from the Australian media? End of day if the ninth game is that big a deal the NRL should have expanded by now and have it to offer.

I think you're massively under estimating the value of those breaks in the AFL and its 3 hour run time... over the course of 200+ games that's a massive flood of advertising opportunities that the NRL just doesn't have.

The NRL definitely has better big event matches, but as a product to sell advertising space it just doesn't come near the AFL on aggregate.

If I were the NRL I'd be sacrificing a solid month of round robin footy to create room for a more permanent international calendar. I'd also look at trying to build opportunities for a three test series with the Kiwis, who are frankly more competitive than ever in their history and whose games against us outrate the bledisloe cup now.

Anyway though, I am not too worried about Smith and the NRL. There's oodles of time and it's all for Fox to lose.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ooh you're such a bad arse, with your rotating pentagram and devilish name. Such a tough mofo. The bully of the site.

But just like all bullies, you so predictably have sh*t for brains.

But haters gonna hate. Troll.

You seem to have got bully and wnkr mixed up! To be a bully you have to be able to intimidate. This drop kick is just a wnkr that offers nothing to threads and just spams them with criticism of people who do contribute. He's the worse kind of forum troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.