What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide on Nov 27-Dec 1, 2015

JJ

Immortal
McCullum reckons the series felt closer then 2 nil???

lol NZ bowled us out once in 6 innings, that was probably the weakest and most inexperienced top 6 we have fielded since the mid 80's and even back then we had the great AB. Starc couldn't bowl bar 9 overs and yet the Kiwis still couldn't win.

Blame the Llong decision all you want but it was against a number 11, the captain and bowlers lost the plot after that decision. Plus we had to bat in two night sessions and the kiwis only 1. Kiwis had their chances and blew it.

It was closer

Obviously we were not prepared for Brisbane. Perth we were much better, and that wicket was ridiculous

If you're going to lose a quick, the Adelaide wicket was as good a place as any - it made helped all the bowlers a bit

But yeah, we blew it, no question. Mainly in Brisbane which was a draw wicket, and the fact that Boult really didn't resemble Boult the whole series

JJ

Immortal
That Santner looks a good un though.

Yeah, he's a talented kid - a debut like that on that wicket is a good sign - needs to improve his bowling, and Craig's career will be over

With Anderson, Neesham, and Santner we have 3 very promising all-rounders.

Will Guptill's batting, McCullum's shit series, Craig's too, and Boult being under-done the poor series by Watling has been overlooked - he'd perhaps become the world's best keeper-bat in tests, but let himself down in both regards in this series imo - Nevill thoroughly outplayed him

hineyrulz

Post Whore
boult was quite outstanding last night but besides that first over Southee served up absolute tripe. If he had of back up his mate NZ probably win the game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to see our middle order stand up for once, that will probabaly get Darsh another game.

Great bowling from Haze, he needed to do a bit more with Starc out and he did it well.

Good result but shame about the pitches in Perth and Brisbane, spoilt the series for mine.

For the life of me, I can't see why we don't play NZ in 5 test series (and South Africa).

I'd rather 2-3 more of NZ than WI.

At least we'd get to banter.

Sigh.

gordsy

Juniors
I laughed when I heard Hussey say the ball / pitch was doing too much. Cry me a river. It's about time test matches weren't played on roads and the bowlers were given a decent pitch.

I laughed when I heard Hussey say the ball / pitch was doing too much. Cry me a river. It's about time test matches weren't played on roads and the bowlers were given a decent pitch.

Exactly, look how much better Hazlewood fared on a track that offered the bowler something. God forbid the batsmen have to work for their runs. They may actually learn to play a moving ball as well and not capitulate in England.

It's a "bat and ball" game, not just a bat game. For someone who's nickname is Mr. Cricket you'd think he'd have a more worldly view on this.

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
Nice to see our middle order stand up for once, that will probabaly get Darsh another game.

Great bowling from Haze, he needed to do a bit more with Starc out and he did it well.

Good result but shame about the pitches in Perth and Brisbane, spoilt the series for mine.

Darsh has another game anyway. They were never going to drop him for Hobart to bring someone else in for one match. Even if he scores a ton I doubt he will retain his place for Boxing Day. The fact they have moved Smith up to 3 suggests it is only temporary.

My biggest worry is M Marsh, I don't think he is good enough to be a test match all-rounder.

it wasn't even competitive

NZ are a bad joke

This.
Game 1 wasn't close at all and we definitely deserved to win game 3.
There was nothing doing in Game 2 for either team due to the pitch.
2-0 is fair and if there had been a proper pitch at the WACA it would have been 3-0

Red Bear

Referee
Would've been a good five test series. Shame NZ took till day two in Perth to really get into the series.

It was mentioned last night (which I noticed because I said similar to dad at dinner) that sides don't come in prepared for overseas tours, and usually they're behind after game one and the series is pretty much done. This was a classic case of that. Boult didn't start to look himself to this test. Southee broke down in game one. Bracewell was underdone and wasn't until game two that he started to bowl with consistency. Their batsmen weren't prepared (outside Williamson). It's hard enough touring overseas, but sides don't give themselves a chance with shit preparation (in part the crap pitch at Blacktown hurt, but why they played a one dayer then a two dayer in Canberra I don't know. Should've had two 3-4 day games, one in canberra, one in brisbane).

Still a bit to like about the NZ test side. Latham looks good, just needs to kick on with the innings, but the other opening spot is a black hole. Taylor finding some form is great for them. Shame McCullem was off the pace, and as JJ mentioned Watling had his worst series in some time. The quicks are good, especially if Milne/Henry kick on, and Santner looked a decent bat (not sure about his bowling, action is so...jerky).

One of the Nein guys said something else about Craig - if you aren't a particularly threatening spinner you have to at least be a reasonable defensive bowler - look at Vettori, who didn't really run through sides at test level but he was accurate, tight, kept pressure on and had a few little variations. Craig couldn't land two balls in the same spot.

I also thought the way they cranked up the pressure on Aus late in the game with a more defensive field, giving little to no easy runs around, was something they should've gone to a bit earlier. Aus goes to water with a bit of pressure, generally.

Some positives and a few questions for Australia. Warner batted really well the first two tests, ditto Khawja - questions for him though will arise when he actually comes into the game at 1/2 rather than well over 100. Burns was solid but isn't exactly cemented just yet. Smith wasn't at his best, but he's a 26 year old captain, it's a bit of an adjustment he's going through. Voges is playing his role reasonably well. Nevill's keeping was such an improvement on Haddin, and his batting when it was actually needed came through.

The Marsh's have a fair bit to prove, I think Mitch's bowling is getting better and better but his batting is poor (sounds like he'll be swapped with Nev next game which is a reasonable move). Hazlewood was awesome in game three which was good (bowled well without reward in brisbane also). Starc looked his best in test cricket but got injured, and Siddle looks as bad as he did last Aus summer. Lyon continued to do his job.

Exciting time for Aus cricket really, a lot of newer guys establishing themselves. Looking forward to Haze and Patto charging in next test. I also reckon the next test series in NZ in Feb could easily go the other way

I can cop the Kiwis being upset about the decision. It's only natural to get the shits when a dud call goes your way. What you can't excuse is dropping your bundle. McCullum should have lined Southee and Boult at Lyon after that shit call and put it to bed.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Where ill give starc a huge wrap is for not dropping his bundle at perth. During the ashes where our bowlers let us down was dropping their nerve and trying too much. It happened after they had root dropped at cardiff the lengths just flew out the window. Same whenever we were chasing the game because of terrible batting.

The fact starc just said no f**k how flat this pitch is and pinned his ears back and bowled accurate aggressive stuff at 150 + was very promising. Even when he had catches dropped off his bowling. Now imagine him unleashing that spell on the second day twilight session in the last test with haze doing his thing at the other end. Mouth watering prospect.

Iafeta

Referee
That test was far more enjoyable than Perth. Perth was barely watchable. This pitch here was excellent, well done to the curator. As far as that decision costing us the test, one thing is this - a couple of years ago you got an incorrect on field decision and you copped it. Sure, the TV umpire got it wrong, and hopefully he's either punished or the policy for making decisions is refined so we don't get a repeat. But, he was given not out on field, and in years gone past you got on with it. New Zealand let the game meander, they dropped their heads and : was too slow to react when it appeared the spinners were becoming easy to play. If they were frustrated with the decision, all well and good, get a quick on and dish out a bit of sweet chin music and then swing him out as he stays back.

Sadly, he did the same thing second time around. Mark Craig should not have been bowling going into the last break it allowed Marsh and Voges to settle. Yes, I understand he wanted to nurse them through to the break so the night time swing could come into it. But Craig was bowling pies all series, he's not the bloke to entrust.

Same old issues for NZ, Tom Latham appears a good opener but he has to start converting his starts. I'd give Guptill the Sri Lankan series, frankly because I don't see anyone worthwhile putting in his place. Mark Craig, our record of spinners is poor, and he's just another off that production line. What they'd have given for a Vettori type. Not threatening, but at least dotting it up.

Latest posts