What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foran Captain

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/888903dc727acde74e66011b5188ab65

Tim Mannah hails new Eels skipper Kieran Foran’s blend of work ethic and talent
56 minutes ago
Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

It’s about as big a compliment that any player could give a teammate. Especially a new recruit coming in to take over your prized job.

But if you thought Tim Mannah would be dirty about losing the Parramatta captaincy to Kieran Foran this year, think again.

Not only is the Eels’ longest-serving current player convinced coach Brad Arthur made the right call, but when handing over the top job ahead of Foran’s first game for the Eels in this Saturday’s trial against Penrith, Mannah also labelled Foran the hardest working elite player he has ever seen.

And he believes that work ethic will help lead the Eels out of the “dark” ages in 2016.

“There was some years there a while ago where it was a bit of a dark time (at Parramatta),” Mannah said.

“There wasn’t much of a light at the end of the tunnel.”

But that has well and truly changed since Foran arrived to inspire his new club throughout the tough pre-season slog.

“His work ethic for someone with that talent is something I haven’t seen before,” Mannah said.

“A lot of the time when you get talented players the work ethic isn’t as strong in them as guys that aren’t as talented. But he just has everything.

“He is a great example for the younger boys. He leads by actions.”

And that is exactly how Foran wants it to remain.

“I guess your expectations go that bit higher (when you are captain),” Foran said. “But I don’t want to do anything differently to what I have done in the past.

“I am the sort of guy who will always try and go out there for 80 minutes and give my all and play my best 80 minutes for the side and do my role for the team.

“I am not going to change any of that. I don’t think I have to. I will hopefully lead with my actions on the field.”

Foran admitted he wants to take his game to another level in 2016. When Foran was negotiating his future last year, the speculation was that Foran was concerned he was not learning enough at Manly.

Asked if that was the case, Foran refused to bag his old club but admitted he felt it was time for a change.

“It wasn’t just that (that he wasn’t learning enough). I think it was just the combination of things,” Foran said.

“I had been at Manly since I was a kid. I had been there since I was 16. Maybe I was just getting to a point where I wanted something different.

“It was a really hard decision because I love the club and I had great mates there. I guess you start your career thinking you are going to be a one club player. It is every kid’s dream.

“I didn’t think it was going to happen to me but it did. I got to a point where I felt I needed to change. I needed something different. I wanted a new environment and I am really grateful for the opportunity that was thrown to me to come here.

“I have a lot of great mates (at Manly) and the boys, they will be life long friends.”

He was also adamant being handed the Parramatta captaincy had nothing to do with his decision to leave Manly.

“None whatsoever. Never even spoke about it,” he said. “It was never mentioned.

“Brad had mentioned to me that he was bringing me here because he wanted me to bring my football here and leadership and come here and improve my game.

“That was the focus, to come here and get myself as fit and strong as I could and buy into the culture here. And I was really excited by the playing group here and I couldn’t wait to get over here and play amongst these guys.”

Asked how tough it was to play through the internal turmoil at Manly last year, Foran admitted: “It was tough, it was really tough.

“I reckon my last two years at Manly were really tough. I think in a way I just needed a change. I still can’t put my finger on (what went wrong). It is something that I have given time to think about.”

But now he said he just wanted to focus on the future, and helping Parramatta shed that premiership curse that has stood since the Eels won their last premiership in 1986.

“It is really exciting the roster we have,” he said.

“The young guys that have been coming through plus the guys who have been here for some time and there have recruited really well.

“Michael Jennings, Beau Scott, Michael Gordon, they are all quality, really experienced guys. We are excited by what we have here but we are not getting too far ahead of ourselves.

“We know it is going to be tough. We are under no illusions. All we can say is that we are confident. We know we had a real good pre-season. We believe we have put in the hard work.

“If we believe enough in that and we are confident in the work we have done then hopefully we will put ourselves in the best position to have a strong season.”

phantom eel

First Grade
Mannah's now the only one left at Parra from the 2009 squad/Grand Final... no wonder he's talking up getting rid of the curse!

If he can be part of/contribute to an Eels premiership win in the next few years, then Tim will have done alright.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I tried to read the article but the 15 rums that I have had meant that there were two extra articles that kept getting in the way.

Haynzy

First Grade
Best result for all. Tim is a nice guy and still somebody that is great fronting the media and being a very likeable person that you would representing your club.

However having Foran as onfield captain will make sure no one will slack off. Sometimes i feel mannah may not be able to motivate the team and be a hardarse when required.

Probably because he was so buggered from being the only bloke out there working hard the whole time he was on the field.

parra pete

Referee
The only thing missing in that article is a quote frm timmy telling us its been the toughest pre season yet

You hafta read between the lines....
It OBVIOUSLY has been , not only THE BEST,.....BUT the TOUGHEST YET...That goes without saying.
As does "All the boys are pumped for a great season".....

Fabulous cliches` make Rugby League the WINNER in the long run...

I say "TALK IS CHEAP...talk the talk, but you need to WALK the WALK"...

Probably because he was so buggered from being the only bloke out there working hard the whole time he was on the field.

.....which is about 35 minutes a game...which, in turn, suggests another advantage of not having a front rower as the on field captain.

TheParraboy

Staff member

He will probably do the same thing this year, but everyone will now say relieving him of the captaincy has done wonders to his game and should be considered for Origin :)

IFR33K

Coach
I don't get the mannah hate. He always rips in, dominates defenders with the ball in hand, makes metres, plays decent minutes and always defends well.

Hope he stays an eel for life. I'm predicting a huge year from him and believe his best is still in front of him. Will go down as a great club man.

TheParraboy

Staff member
You hafta read between the lines....
It OBVIOUSLY has been , not only THE BEST,.....BUT the TOUGHEST YET...That goes without saying.
As does "All the boys are pumped for a great season".....

Fabulous cliches` make Rugby League the WINNER in the long run...

I say "TALK IS CHEAP...talk the talk, but you need to WALK the WALK"...

I thought we scrambled well in defence..

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't get the mannah hate. He always rips in, dominates defenders with the ball in hand, makes metres, plays decent minutes and always defends well.

Hope he stays an eel for life. I'm predicting a huge year from him and believe his best is still in front of him. Will go down as a great club man.

I agree with you. He is a decent player. He knows his job and performs it pretty well.

I get why some people don't rate him though. I think it has more to do with his personality and perceived lack of aggression on the field.