What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Eels V Broncos

hindy111

Post Whore
I think everyone knows Foran is a much better player than Kelly. Just a hunch, but I reckon Kelly only played because Foran was injured.

Or do you think some people believe Kelly should be in our top 17?

The question is more - If one of Foran/Norman is out in future do we still bring in Kelly?
Kelly looked ok in first half and terrible in second. And yes not all clubs have good options if a half is injured. It is frustrating to watch but that is the reality of it.
Just hope Norman and Foran play lots of games. As i said previous we do not have a ball playing fullback or hooker nor do we have very skillfull second rowers ( perhaps KE and Manu ) so our attack is built completely on our halves.
Unlike the dog who have a forwards pack that can just blast teams away. Our can handle themself but are not about to dominate other packs-Just too small.And know one with that steam rolling style.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The question is more - If one of Foran/Norman is out in future do we still bring in Kelly?

If he was suitable to bring in for that game why wouldn't he be suitable for a future game? What exactly changed about Friday night? Did he perform any differently to how you expected? I'm sure the coach wasn't surprised. I certainly wasn't.

Delboy

First Grade
If he was suitable to bring in for that game why wouldn't he be suitable for a future game? What exactly changed about Friday night? Did he perform any differently to how you expected? I'm sure the coach wasn't surprised. I certainly wasn't.

Pou, he didn't surprise anyone with the awful performance

Hopefully, Cornish gets an opportunity in the Wenty gameto stake a claim, Kelly adds absoluletely zero, and all your posturing about him doesn't alter that fact

You just argue for the sake of it, as your reasoning for his inclusion, that we know what we are going to get supports most opinions that he shouldn't be there

lingard

Coach
Mate, if being angry and confused makes you happier than understanding what the coach is doing then stay on your current path. When he eventually gets the arse, as all coaches do, you can pretend you knew better.

It's a good thing coaches never make mistakes.

hindy111

Post Whore

At some point a player must have a good game. Even if your bog average-Now and then things just go right.Your kicking game goes well and a few passes hit the mark.I have seen Kelly play and be in our top 5 players for the game. Unfortunately this was 2014.

I did not expect him to keep putting the bomb up to the best winger on the field.I thought he may of tested the young guy on debut.

I am sure BA was left scratching his head thinking if Foran/Norman is out do i go with this guy again - I reckon he would be keeping a close eye on Cornish and considering Taka/Gutherson next time along with French.

Kelly is capable - I remember his strong point was a good kicking game.Kick long and find space.And i've seen him with a good short kicking game getting repeat sets. If he can get this back then more then happy to have him play alongside Foran/Norman if ones injured.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, he didn't surprise anyone with the awful performance

Hopefully, Cornish gets an opportunity in the Wenty gameto stake a claim, Kelly adds absoluletely zero, and all your posturing about him doesn't alter that fact

You just argue for the sake of it, as your reasoning for his inclusion, that we know what we are going to get supports most opinions that he shouldn't be there

I'm arguing to try to help reduce your anger and confusion over why the coach keeps picking him (as a backup).

Suppose we picked Cornish and scored an extra try but conceded another three? Would that make it worth picking Cornish?

Now we don't know if this would have happened or not, but I'm certain this was the coaching staff's assessment. So if that was their assessment before the Broncos game, why would it change after it? Kelly did no worse than anyone expected - he held his own in the first half, and in the second half was ineffective as the sole playmaker.

How would we have gone with Cornish instead? I'm sure we would have gone worse. The reason I'm sure is because the coaching staff rate Kelly over him. Defence is important for every player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a good thing coaches never make mistakes.

And how do you even define a coaching 'mistake'? When a coach is faced with two choices, where he thinks one is 30% chance of going wrong and the other is a 40% chance? If he makes the 30% choice and it goes wrong anyway, is that proof he should have gone with the other choice?

Only in the minds of the typical league fan.

Delboy

First Grade
Pou, why are you sure that okaying someone other than Kelly would have resulted in a worse performance

I would actually back many opinions over yours, even mine, I normally ignore your dopey comments, but you seem to have an obsession to defend a player that has actually gone worse since his debut 3 years ago

No more comments from me, you have worn me and others down, but you are wrong :)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At some point a player must have a good game. Even if your bog average-Now and then things just go right.Your kicking game goes well and a few passes hit the mark.I have seen Kelly play and be in our top 5 players for the game. Unfortunately this was 2014.

I did not expect him to keep putting the bomb up to the best winger on the field.I thought he may of tested the young guy on debut.

I am sure BA was left scratching his head thinking if Foran/Norman is out do i go with this guy again - I reckon he would be keeping a close eye on Cornish and considering Taka/Gutherson next time along with French.

Kelly is capable - I remember his strong point was a good kicking game.Kick long and find space.And i've seen him with a good short kicking game getting repeat sets. If he can get this back then more then happy to have him play alongside Foran/Norman if ones injured.

Well I'm sure we didn't sign Cornish for nothing. I reckon if Norman was out instead of Foran then Cornish might have played on Friday.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, why are you sure that okaying someone other than Kelly would have resulted in a worse performance

Because Cornish has worse defence and the Broncos had all the ball.

I would actually back many opinions over yours, even mine

Well mate, I'm going with the coach's opinion. Call me stupid but his credentials are better than yours and any of your relatives who sent you a humorous Facebook video of some fat turd abusing the coach during the game.

I normally ignore your dopey comments, but you seem to have an obsession to defend a player that has actually gone worse since his debut 3 years ago

No more comments from me, you have worn me and others down, but you are wrong :)

We'll never know if I was right or wrong, because it's all hypothetical. If the coach picks Cornish in future I will trust his judgement. But at the moment my observation of the two backup halves is that Kelly's defence isn't just better than Cornish's; it is MUCH better.

If Cornish plays first grade this year I will assume his defence has improved or that the coach believes it is worth carrying him in the defensive line for what he brings as a kicker and playmaker.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But if you're pissy that I'm defending the choice of Kelly, I did state during the week that I thought Pritchard on the bench might mean Peats would play right half. Peats is a good defender, and as I keep pointing out, defence is an important part of the game.

Cornish could become a better playmaker and kicker than Foran or Norman, but if his defence isn't at the minimum NRL standard then he will do more harm than good.

Noise

Coach
Just bumped into Corey Norman , said his neck was still a bit sore but ok. I said to him it didn't look good when he did it and he replied 'yea I was worried at first but then I wiggled my toes and knew I was sweet' he also said foran was very close to playing on Thursday

Eelementary

Post Whore
I mostly agree, however his passing (and kicking) is fine. I think his decision making under pressure isn't good, and he's a poor playmaker because his weak running game doesn't attract defenders.

His defence is below average for an NRL player, but so is probably every other half in the NRL. I'd say for an NRL half his defence is well above average. Better than Norman's, even, but not as good as the best defensive halves like Foran and Cronk.

Tbh I think that's fair.

Dibs

Bench
Just bumped into Corey Norman , said his neck was still a bit sore but ok. I said to him it didn't look good when he did it and he replied 'yea I was worried at first but then I wiggled my toes and knew I was sweet' he also said foran was very close to playing on Thursday

Well be more careful next time you bump into him and make his neck worse you'll get lynched. Unless you can play back up half better than Kelly. I'd give you a go anyway

Noise

Coach
Well be more careful next time you bump into him and make his neck worse you'll get lynched. Unless you can play back up half better than Kelly. I'd give you a go anyway

I played 5/8 in my youth so I'm prepared to have a crack

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your'e hired and don't worry if you are crap you will only be a back up so it won't matter

You've got no idea. Most 'crap' players would miss more tackles on an NRL field than they made. There are slobs out there (you and I are probably two of them) who would miss every tackle they attempted.

I know you're trying to make a point but it's stupid. If you think it couldn't get a whole lot worse than Luke Kelly then you've got no idea how much better NRL players are than the rest of us.

Luke Kelly might be slow and weak for the NRL, but he would dominate against average Joes. The NRL is light years ahead, and even well ahead of the state cups. That's why blokes like Faraimo and Cornish can make the NSW Cup team of the year but struggle to get into first grade - it is their flaws (particularly in defence) that keep them out.

Latest posts