What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Final Table End Round 26

NRL top 8 2016 predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

God-King Dean

Immortal
1. Broncos
2. Sharks
3. Cowboys
4. Storm
----
5. NZ
6. Souths
7. Dogs
8. Manly

9. Panthers
10. Roosters
11. Raiders
12. Eels
13. Dragons
14. Knights
15. Tigers
16. Titans

simmo1

First Grade
1. Cowboys
2. Broncos
3. Sharks
4. Storm
5. Warriors
6. Raiders
7. Sea Eagles
8. Roosters
9. Eels
10. Panthers
11. Rabbitohs
12. Dragons
13. Bulldogs
14. Knights
15. Tigers
16. Titans

1. Cowboys
2. Broncos
3. Sharks
4. Storm
5. Sea Eagles
6. Warriors
7. Rabbitohs
8. Panthers
9. Roosters
10. Eels
11. Dragons
12. Bulldogs
13. Raiders
14. Tigers
15. Knights
16. Titans

Cockosh

Juniors
1. Cowboys
2. Sharks
3. Broncos
4. Warriors
5. Roosters
6. Souths
7. Manly
8. Dogs
9. Storm
10. Dragons
11. Eels
12. Panthers
13. Raiders
14. Knights
15. Tigers
16. Titans

Eddie.

Bench
My tip for Premiers is Melbourne I think they are flying under the radar somewhat. They have a settled side and Slater to come back from a side that made Week 3 of the finals without him. The reduced interchange will also be in their favour as they are not the biggest side going around.

I think they will beat NQ in the GF I really rate the Cows side with they have the potential to get even better, its just so hard togo back to back. The Storm to prevail in a close GF.

As for the regular season

1. Brisbane Broncos - The obvious pick. I just think that loss in the GF could haunt them come finals time. Every man and his dog has them as favourites

2. Melbourne Storm - As stated, my tip for the comp, settled side that are never far away.

3. Cronulla Sharks - Added some strike power to an experienced side. Will give it a shake however the 49 year itch is probably a burden too big to handle.

4. NQ Cowboys - Will have their ups and down but too much class not to figure.

5. NZ Warriors - Super talented, expect them to be near unbeatable at home. Big questions marks on the road will be their down fall.

6. Parramatta Eels -
Bought well across the park to a team that was very competitive last season.

7. Bulldogs - Lacking the pace and class to win the comp but always tough and gritty. Do enough to squeeze into the finals.

8. Raiders - Has to their breakout year. Soft draw and will convery some close losses into close wins

-----------------------

9. Sydney Roosters - Just too much going on their in pre season and with some departures. Expect them to rally at some pint but are no where near the powerhouse of the last few years.

10. Manly Sea Eagles - Just a gut feeling here. Barrett is being made out like the next supercoach, I expect him to be crack under the presure somewhat. Can't deny they have a decent side but I think there culture has been eroded plenty the last few years.

11. Wests Tigers - I think they are going to do better then what people expect. I think they have plenty of young talent, however they don't have the size or the consistencty over a season to keep it up yet.

12. Rabbitohs - My tip as the team that implodes. The roster looks to have lost plenty of tradesman and been chipped away at. See a few dramas in pre season maybe continuing.

13. Newcastle - Expect them to unearth plenty of new talent and the halves to prove a good combination. However much like the Tigers will get bashed when the stakes are risen.

14. Dragons - Just think last years grinding football wont hold out for as long as last year did. That sort of play takes a lot out of you, i think you can only ask players to do that for so long.

15 - Panthers - Bizzarre coaching change, huge questions marks in the halves, young captain, dont like the mix.

16 - Titans - Back to the bad old days on the coast.

Last edited:

Cowboy Pete

Juniors
I think many on here are going on last years form in selecting the Titans for the spoon.

I think they are going to surprise many this year with the squad that Henry has been able to scramble together. For those that did not see the Titans - Souths trial, and I know it was only a trial, the Titans forward pack looked like the Testosterone Titans.

Providing they stay healthy for most of the season they are going to monster many of the teams in the bottom half of the comp. The only worry is their backline, but providing Hoffman can retain his form of old and some of the young backline talent can gain enough maturity quickly enough I think a few teams that are counting on two points against them are going to be disappointed or at least be in the fight of their lives.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Titans have some good players but a spine of Zillman/Roberts/Taylor/Friend is truly horrible. If Elegey was fit I'd have a bit more confidence in them.

1. Broncos
2. Cowboys
3. Roosters
4. Cronulla
5. Warriors
6. Manly
7. Parra
8. Raiders
9. Storm
10. Souffs
11. Dragons
12. Panthers
13. Dogs
14. Knights
15. Titans
16. Tigers

Roosters have the biggest question marks considering the losses but I'm really confident/hopeful for their replacements. Plus I rate our pack against anyone. We'll have a slow start to the season but if we get through the first 10 weeks in reasonable shape, there's no reason why we can't make the top four with a fresher Cordner and JWH on the field. And yes, loads of bias in my thinking.

footy75

Bench
Roosters have the biggest question marks considering the losses but I'm really confident/hopeful for their replacements. Plus I rate our pack against anyone. We'll have a slow start to the season but if we get through the first 10 weeks in reasonable shape, there's no reason why we can't make the top four with a fresher Cordner and JWH on the field. And yes, loads of bias in my thinking.

I agree

BranVan3000

Coach
I always forget to do this so here is my ladder. 2016 will prove the year of quality coaching trumping flashy recruitment. Maguire, Hasler and Robinson's teams have been written off early by many. Yet they will all be mixing it up in the finals. This year you will see the top coaches adjust to the new rules best and the mediocre coaches floundering because they approached the year with no adjustment or evolution in their game plan

Top 8:
1. Broncos - class across the park, and the consistency to get the Minor Premiership. Right up there again

2. Souths - despite changes we are still very close to the side that won in 2014. Expecting a big bounce back this year and hunger renewed

3. Bulldogs - many "experts" have written them off early. What I see is a coach who rarely misses a Grand Final appearance twice in a row. Hasler's men will be right back up there

4. Cowboys - Some post-Premiership wobbles will happen but they will still make top 4

5. Storm - Dad's army probably last chance to make a real tilt at the title

6. Roosters - another been written off by "experts". They will have a lean first two months but will still win more than they lose. Strong back end to the year as usual

7. Sharks - gritty and consistent they have just lacked a little class. Expecting Maloney to add some spark and Barba to find his best form in years. Could finish higher

8. Eels - I rate the coach and he finally has the squad assembled his way to make a real go of it. I think they will still lack a little firepower in the pack to trouble the big teams

Bottom 8

9. Panthers - another year where Panthers will go on and on about their youth but I think getting rid of Cleary was a fatal error

10. Dragons - I've liked their pre-season form. There is potential in this side but the coach seems to strangle the attacking ability out of them

11. Warriors - Will be a highlights reel factory with Luke and RTS be too inconsistent for a finals berth

12. Raiders - good enough team to cause some upsets. Still have Ricky

13. Newcastle - Really not expecting much from them

14. West Tigers - Taylor will be the first coach sacked and the series of wins they have after he is gone will be just about all they achieve this year

15. Titans - back in rebuilding mode after achieving nothing the past couple of years. Let's hope this rebuild goes better and they can mix it with the good teams in a few years

16. Manly - weakest forward pack in the comp, old and slow centers, Brett Stewart constantly Injured and DCE continually regressing. Throw in a mediocre coach on top of that and you have the makings of a spoon team

Rabbits20

Immortal
Manly won't get the spoon.

Souths won't be second either.

About sixth or seventh is about right for Souths.

To the Rorters supporters who have them second or third that won't happen.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I always forget to do this so here is my ladder. 2016 will prove the year of quality coaching trumping flashy recruitment. Maguire, Hasler and Robinson's teams have been written off early by many. Yet they will all be mixing it up in the finals. This year you will see the top coaches adjust to the new rules best and the mediocre coaches floundering because they approached the year with no adjustment or evolution in their game plan

Top 8:
1. Broncos - class across the park, and the consistency to get the Minor Premiership. Right up there again

2. Souths - despite changes we are still very close to the side that won in 2014. Expecting a big bounce back this year and hunger renewed

3. Bulldogs - many "experts" have written them off early. What I see is a coach who rarely misses a Grand Final appearance twice in a row. Hasler's men will be right back up there

4. Cowboys - Some post-Premiership wobbles will happen but they will still make top 4

5. Storm - Dad's army probably last chance to make a real tilt at the title

6. Roosters - another been written off by "experts". They will have a lean first two months but will still win more than they lose. Strong back end to the year as usual

7. Sharks - gritty and consistent they have just lacked a little class. Expecting Maloney to add some spark and Barba to find his best form in years. Could finish higher

8. Eels - I rate the coach and he finally has the squad assembled his way to make a real go of it. I think they will still lack a little firepower in the pack to trouble the big teams

Bottom 8

9. Panthers - another year where Panthers will go on and on about their youth but I think getting rid of Cleary was a fatal error

10. Dragons - I've liked their pre-season form. There is potential in this side but the coach seems to strangle the attacking ability out of them

11. Warriors - Will be a highlights reel factory with Luke and RTS be too inconsistent for a finals berth

12. Raiders - good enough team to cause some upsets. Still have Ricky

13. Newcastle - Really not expecting much from them

14. West Tigers - Taylor will be the first coach sacked and the series of wins they have after he is gone will be just about all they achieve this year

15. Titans - back in rebuilding mode after achieving nothing the past couple of years. Let's hope this rebuild goes better and they can mix it with the good teams in a few years

16. Manly - weakest forward pack in the comp, old and slow centers, Brett Stewart constantly Injured and DCE continually regressing. Throw in a mediocre coach on top of that and you have the makings of a spoon team

:lol::lol:

BrisVegas

Juniors
My Predictions:

Top 4

Brisbane: A settled squad with little in the way of squad turnover from last year. The reduction in interchange should suit there smaller more mobile forward pack. Hunt & Milford coping a 1 year ban from Origin should lead to a consistent spine being fielded during the rep period.

North QLD: The first club in decades to field their premiership winning 17 the following year. Thurston now has the support he needs in the spine, and they have learn't how to win away from home. Only question is can they handle teams aiming up against them every week?

Melbourne: The big 3 may be getting on in age, but the Storm squad from 2015 was one of the youngest Bellamy has ever coached. A rested Billy Slater will be of benefit. Their unwavering consistency will see them finish top 4.

New Zealand: Great recruitment for this year. Their squad seems really balanced. Finally seem to have there front office where it needs to be with Jim Doyle running the club. The only question now is the coach. By all accounts McFadden has less than 6 weeks to prove he is the man to guide the club to the finals. If the Warriors are to pull the trigger on a coaching change, one would hope it occurs within the first month so their entire season isn't overshadowed by speculation.

5th - 8th

Canterbury: Hasler is one of the best coaches in the business. They have a great skillful pack, a young talented halves combination, and speedy backs. The main question is how will huge forwards adapt to the reduction in the interchange. If they are healthy come the end of season they will be a threat.

Sydney City: A lot of talk about the talent they have lost (RTS, Maloney), however their pack is still one of the best in the comp, and if they give their rookie halves the space the should be a lot of fun to watch, if inconsistent at times. Robinson to prove if he deserves to mentioned alongside Bennet, Hasler and Bellamy this season.

Cronulla: Great recruitment in the halves for this season - Maloney may prove to be the buy of the season - hopefully the rest of the team will listen to him when he over-calls Gallen for the ball. Their forward pack is full of experience, if getting on in age, and they have some real talent in the backs in Holmes and Bird (and maybe Barba if he can return to form). I was tempted to place them top 4, but ultimately their coach, and the Shark's inherent ability to seize a loss from the jaws of victory has them placed 5th - 8th.

Canberra: Have some real size and depth in their pack. Sezer is a good signing and should compliment Austin in the halves, and Williams solid 3rd option when injury inevitably strikes. They lost a lot of games by a small margin last season, and have a soft draw, so I have them sneaking into the 8 despite their coach. Ricky will then be reward with an excessive contract extension that the club will be regretting within 12 months.

9th - 12th

Rabbitohs: They have lost a lot of depth in the past 12 months to sign Sam Burgess. Their backs lack punch with the exception of frequently injured Ingliss. A few injuries to the starting 13 will really test the clubs depth. With their halves off contract, and consistent rumors about unhappiness between the playing group and the coach/owner, I see the Rabbitohs missing 8 and beginning a rebuild in earnest.

Penrith: I feel for Cleary getting the boot after such an injury plagued year. Griffin however is not the solution. Expect safety first squad selections and game plans as he attempts to coach a squad he didn't assemble. They will take down some teams unexpectedly and lose to some that the should defeat comfortably. GRIFFIN BALL returns!

St. George Illawarrar: The Dragons overachieved last season. They won't defeat as many sides with their grinding style. Their spine isn't anything to get excited about, and their pack average. They have no real home ground advantage to speak of, splitting their games between 5(!) venues.

Manly: Solid recruitment, but with such a huge turnover in the playing group, and a new coach, will the side gel? Their pack isn't in the top 8, Stewart is injury prone, and questions remain over Dylan Walkers ability to partner DCE in the halves.

Bottom 4

Newcastle: Will be a tough season for Newcastle, but Brown is making all the right talk about developing for long term success - with his squad for round 1 proving he is willing to act. The true successes of this season will be measured by how the squad is developed for 2017 and beyond.

Gold Coast: See comments for Newcastle above. I feel for Neil Henry. He assembled a great squad at the Cowboys, and had it not been for some contentious decisions against them during the finals series his time there may have been remembered in a more favorable light. The rebuild begins in earnest this season, with the release of David Taylor a good first step. Sezer was a real loss.

Wests Tigers: A coach under fire and feuding with the veteran player. Constant turnover in the front office. No consistent home ground. Both halves off contract. The weakest 2nd row in the competition. Tedesco is really the only bright spot. Will be a long season for Tigers fans.

Parramatta: I don't get the pre-season hype. The Norman/Foran paring lacks an organizer and kicking ability, Gordon is a stop gap solution at fullback, and Beau Scott could easily turn into Watmough v2.0. Jennings is overhyped and lazy - no wonder he has been moved on before the end of his contract by both Gould/Cleary and Robinson. A bad start to the season will really ratchet up the pressure on the coach. They need to get the front office in order before they can begin a climb up the ladder.

Last edited:

--Storm--

Juniors
TOP FOUR

Bulldogs
Brisbane
Melbourne
Raiders

NEXT FOUR

Cowboys
Roosters
Parramatta
Sharks

TOP OF THE BOTTOM

Manly
Rabbitohs
Panthers
Knights

THE CRAP

Warriors
Dragons
Tigers
Titians

footy75

Bench
Broncos
Souths
Cowboys
Sharks
Bulldogs
Warriors
Storm
Roosters

Raiders
Parra
Manly
Penrith
Titans
Tigers
St George
Newcastle

mxlegend99

Referee
Roosters second?:lol:

RTS gone
Jennings gone
Maloney gone
Cordner out until R10ish
JWH out until R10ish
Pearce yet to cop a punishment but potentially missing a chunk of the season also.

If the Roosters made the top 8 it would be a miracle considering they will definitely be missing 5 quality players from last years top 17. The opening 10 weeks will be very tough for them especially. If Pearce cops a big punishment I could see them going closer to the spoon than the top 8.
Got one prediction right by the looks of it. Might come good after Round 10. But these opening 8-10 weeks without Pearce, JWH and Cordner are going to be difficult. 0-3 so far. bad injuries to Copley and Henderson. Hard to imagine things improving soon.

Latest posts