What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The fans and sponsors don't get compensation.

As a sharks fan I have no interest in losing home games so that the roosters/dogs/Souths get stadium upgrades.

What about being left behind in this stadium arms race? how long is shark park a viable location in a professional league?

Honest questions.

I mean if the Sharks can fund upgrades more power to them.

adamkungl

Immortal
AdamKungle, what about if those clubs (Cronulla, Manly) get compensated in some way?

It's a hard sell.

The NSW Gov have said straight up that they won't be spending money on suburban grounds.

If the club gets financial compensation and profits from the arrangement it doesn't help the fans really - and can still be a bad look if they simply choose not to show up to centrally located games.

adamkungl

Immortal
What about being left behind in this stadium arms race? how long is shark park a viable location in a professional league?

Honest questions.

I mean if the Sharks can fund upgrades more power to them.

Sharks and Manly won't even be viable clubs if they're forced to play in central Sydney so the stadium question becomes irrelevant.

johnny plath

Juniors
I would have thought the fact that the nrl pays the clubs huge annual grants that they would have some say in clubs moving a couple of games a season to help the game out in the long run. I keep reading fans say why should we move games but why should nrl keep paying out grants if the clubs aren't willing to give something back. I'm pretty sure sone clubs would still be in deep shit without nrl annual grants. Fine don't move games but don't have your hands out for annual funding.

T-Boon

Coach
Well you CAN compensate the fans and the sponsors.
As an example:
You take 4 Sharks home games to SFS, NRL pays the club some amount of compensation enough that the club gets $X plus a bit that they can pass on to the fans in terms of reduced season ticket prices whilst the season ticket still gets them into the SFS.
Compensate the sponsors by giving them an additional free to air TV game.
There are numerous different ways that you could compensate the clubs, fans and sponsors.

adamkungl

Immortal
4 would be way too much.

I think a best case is

Parra
Roosters
Dogs
Souths
11 each, for 44 games

min 3 rep games a year (1-2 origin + 1-2 tests)
approx 5 finals (depends on results but a reasonably safe estimate)

brings us to 52 games.

So we need 13 games between the remaining 5 clubs.
Wests and Saints 4 each
Penrith 3
Cronulla 1
Manly 1

4 would be way too much.

I think a best case is

Parra
Roosters
Dogs
Souths
11 each, for 44 games

min 3 rep games a year (1-2 origin + 1-2 tests)
approx 5 finals (depends on results but a reasonably safe estimate)

brings us to 52 games.

So we need 13 games between the remaining 5 clubs.
Wests and Saints 4 each
Penrith 3
Cronulla 1
Manly 1

Last I heard Ayres rejected finals & origin being included in the 65 games.

Perhaps the premier will be more flexible though?

T-Boon

Coach
maybe the NRL should say "give us our rectangular stadium or we take SOO, Tests and grand final elsewhere (Origin in Newcastle would be nice)"
Then run a media campaign blaming NSW government for Origin games moving out of the city.

I would have thought the fact that the nrl pays the clubs huge annual grants that they would have some say in clubs moving a couple of games a season to help the game out in the long run. I keep reading fans say why should we move games but why should nrl keep paying out grants if the clubs aren't willing to give something back. I'm pretty sure sone clubs would still be in deep shit without nrl annual grants. Fine don't move games but don't have your hands out for annual funding.

Because the clubs provide the NRL with the content that they sell to the networks.

On Cronulla, the 12 home games basically provide the trade which makes the leagues club profitable.
Lose home games and there's another revenue stream gone.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Finals and origins not included, probably because amount can't be guaranteed though you would think one soo and gf should be included.

Again it wouldn't be hard to do if the NRL got on the front foot with a strategic approach and built an events schedule that compenstated clubs who were being asked to move games away from home ground accordingly and provide fta exposure fa these games for sponsors.even Taking into account games clubs want to take on the road outside Sydney ie

Friday night lights blockbuster every week at Moore park 24 games - adult focus with food village, beer halls and live music outside of ground
Sunday afternoon family fanatics game every week at ANZ 24 games - family focus with kids areas, kids give always, free admission for kids, cheap family food deals etc
Roosters, Souths, Bulldogs, eels, Wests games where they are not featured in those featured games at the new stadiums would provide at least 20 games.

Some of the feature games would include manly, sharks and Penrith blockbusters eg sharks v dragons at Moore park free to members of both clubs and sharks recompensed $150k for moving the game

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Agree with PR here on Friday nights

The only way it works is to schedule 20odd Friday nights on edge of the city

And promote the absolute shit out of it and actually make it a cool thing to do on a Friday after work

Target would need to be 35k minimum crowds

Only issue is Sydney fc and warratahs might want a game every now and then

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Finals and origins not included, probably because amount can't be guaranteed though you would think one soo and gf should be included.

Again it wouldn't be hard to do if the NRL got on the front foot with a strategic approach and built an events schedule that compenstated clubs who were being asked to move games away from home ground accordingly and provide fta exposure fa these games for sponsors.even Taking into account games clubs want to take on the road outside Sydney ie

Friday night lights blockbuster every week at Moore park 24 games - adult focus with food village, beer halls and live music outside of ground
Sunday afternoon family fanatics game every week at ANZ 24 games - family focus with kids areas, kids give always, free admission for kids, cheap family food deals etc
Roosters, Souths, Bulldogs, eels, Wests games where they are not featured in those featured games at the new stadiums would provide at least 20 games.

Some of the feature games would include manly, sharks and Penrith blockbusters eg sharks v dragons at Moore park free to members of both clubs and sharks recompensed $150k for moving the game

I agree, not every game needs to be about families attending. Young adult males form the core of support for aoccer in europe and i beleive in australia we need to harness that to build attendances as families will always have reasons not to attend.

Would sharks and dragons fans turn up at moore park twice a year the derby with both members getting access? Or maybe the alternative could be to rotate the moore park game each year so one of the suburban grounds still gets the derby each season.

Thanks Jonno

This worries me a touch , the clubs need to demand ANZ is done first.

Governments change and it could easily be scrapped by a future govt.

Plus why is it just describing ANZ as a "closed roof stadium"? Wheres the rectangle description?

To me this looks like Ayres saying he'll do what he wants & doesnt need the NRL.

NRL & clubs need to get to Baird.

Threaten to take the GF & SOO away if necessary.

Latest posts