What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Game_Breaker

Coach
They really weren't going to kill one of their biggest names before the big dance in Infinity War.

Especially given he has one more movie in his contract, but they don't even have to kill him, have him presumed dead and show up in infinity war pt. 1 (or 2) would've been better imo

if there's no threat of anyone dying then then that kills the suspense of the action scenes

Frederick

Staff member
The writers reasoning for not killing cap:

Regardless, when Yahoo Movies caught up with Captain America: Civil War screenwriters Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus, they explained why that moment didn't make it to the big screen. "We never really went into this with the intention of killing Cap," Markus revealed. "One, because he doesn’t really die, so we weren’t going to do the time bullet [like in the comics]. And there are other movies coming, and it’s like, 'Are you gonna kill him?’ And you get crap for fake-killing people. We fake-killed [Nick] Fury [in Winter Soldier] and it worked pretty well, but… At a certain point you’re lessening the gravity of the movie when you kill somebody, because people are like, 'Oh now we’re in comic-book world because he’s gonna come back.’ So you get more gravity out really hurting somebody."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/capta...war/captain-america-civil-war-writers-a141431

bileduct

Coach
So in other words they pussed out.

Can you imagine if these two idiots made a movie from this?

Death-X-3.jpg

"Well we thought it would be stupid to kill off Jean Grey because everyone that reads the comics knows she's not dead!"

bileduct

Coach
Couldn't be any worse than Last Stand.
But Last Stand was the best out of all the X-Men team movies according to Frederick logic.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=comicbookadaptation.htm

In any case, I would agree that it was in insufferable pile of shit. However I'd imagine it would have been a lot worse if they completely veered away from the pivotal moment of the storyline with Jean Grey sacrificing herself to f**k off the Phoenix.

The excuse that he's not really dead is just pissweak. Comics tease and carry out character deaths all the time only to bring them back later. Jean Grey has been whacked so many times that even Marvel gives her two entries on the Top 10 X Men Deaths list (http://marvel.com/news/comics/11845/take_10_x-men_deaths.)

It's a no brainer that MCU aren't going to risk killing off (no matter how temporarily) a major character in a non-superfranchise movie. But there's so f**king many B listers there that aren't necessary to the future of the MCU that could easily be disposed of.

Instead they take the easy path.

I imagine when they do finally kill someone off it will predictably be Vision. And then he'll get rebuilt just like he has been a million times in the comics.

Last edited:

McNulty

Juniors
I might be late to this party but the word on the street is the reason The Inhumans is going to be delayed is because Marvel has been able to strike a deal similar to the one that they have for Hulk and Spidey to bring FF, Galactus and SS into the fold.

bileduct

Coach
With the utter failure of the Fantastic Four reboot and the upcoming Infinity War films Fox have surely realised they are never going to be in a better position to offload what is essentially a dead franchise. Silver Surfer in particular had a very large role in the original Infinity Gauntlet series and its sequels, and Fantastic Four were in there as well. Having these films without Silver Surfer would be odd.

Fox should be pumping all of their money into an X-Men shared universe. There's more than enough material for multiple teams and solo characters if done right, as seen with Deadpool and the rebooted series.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I might be late to this party but the word on the street is the reason The Inhumans is going to be delayed is because Marvel has been able to strike a deal similar to the one that they have for Hulk and Spidey to bring FF, Galactus and SS into the fold.

Pretty sure Inhumans has been canned all together due to a less than stellar audience for AOS lately and low sales of the new Inhumans comics

Last Week

Bench
I know it's early, but I've watched them all this year several times and I'm calling it now. Deadpool is easily the best. Suicide Squad is the only one left with the potential to challenge it, but I don't think it'll top Deadpool.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I know it's early, but I've watched them all this year several times and I'm calling it now. Deadpool is easily the best. Suicide Squad is the only one left with the potential to challenge it, but I don't think it'll top Deadpool.
Agree with this.

McNulty

Juniors
Fun Fact:

The Buth families stair car (Arrested Development) had a cameo in Captain America: Civil War

640.jpg

Love Arrested, except for the last season!!

bileduct

Coach
X-Men Apocalypse was pretty good. Some good foundation work was done for further sequels, including setting up the Dark Phoenix storyline again.

From the post credit scene, I'd say the next X-Men movie will be based on this...

Furtheradventureapocsinister.jpg

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach
I thought apocalypse was a big pile of crap. Worse than last stand and you have to go all the way back to batman and robin to find a worse superhero movie

Quicksilver rescue scene and wolverine cameo were the only things I liked, but we've seen both scenes before.

Frederick

Staff member
Casting announcement for Thor Ragnarok has been made:

"Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge."

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/20/thor-ragnarok-adds-cate-blanchett-jeff-goldblum-karl-urban-and-m/

Frederick

Staff member
There are also rumors flying around that Michael Keaton has been locked in to play the Vulture in Spider-Man Homecoming, as well as John Boyega signing up for Black Panther (although that's less certain than the Keaton one)

LESStar58

Referee
I thought apocalypse was a big pile of crap. Worse than last stand and you have to go all the way back to batman and robin to find a worse superhero movie

Quicksilver rescue scene and wolverine cameo were the only things I liked, but we've seen both scenes before.

Shame to hear that. I'm going to see it tonight. Rewatching DOFP now. Watched First Class last week. It's still my favorite xmen movie.

LESStar58

Referee
Quite like Apocalypse.

I will be having inappropriate dreams about Olivia Munn and Sophie Turner for quite some time.

Laughed my ass of at the Return Of The Jedi scene! :lol:

Latest posts