What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherry Evans backflips on the Titans

Will Cherry-Evans reputation ever recover?

• Yes, everyone will forgive and forget

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • No, he will always be a merkin

Votes: 91 71.7%

• Total voters

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He has won a premiership and a Clive Churchill medal.

Now your hate rant is getting to the point where you are coming across as a complete idiot.

Cool story. Remind me how his 2015 has gone? And 2014?

I presume the Shaun Johnson Scaven speaks of is the Golden Boot winner, the one who actually shows up in rep matches and wins games for his side - not runs around like a complete gimp like DCE has in every time he's been entrusted with a Maroons starting jersey. But what I'm saying about DCE has f**k all to do with the ability of my side's #7. I'm not comparing, I'm just saying DCE is vastly overrated.

It must be tall poppy syndrome I'm suffering. You know, even though I think JT is a champion and he's more of a tall poppy than DCE could ever hope to be.

Oh no, it'll be that DCE is a merkin. That'll be it. I don't hate him, I don't hate any footballer who's done nothing personally to me. I just think he's a morally bankrupt merkin.

Everyone carry on with their day, it's just an opinion.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Cool story. Remind me how his 2015 has gone? And 2014?

I presume the Shaun Johnson Scaven speaks of is the Golden Boot winner, the one who actually shows up in rep matches and wins games for his side - not runs around like a complete gimp like DCE has in every time he's been entrusted with a Maroons starting jersey. But what I'm saying about DCE has f**k all to do with the ability of my side's #7. I'm not comparing, I'm just saying DCE is vastly overrated.

It must be tall poppy syndrome I'm suffering. You know, even though I think JT is a champion and he's more of a tall poppy than DCE could ever hope to be.

Oh no, it'll be that DCE is a merkin. That'll be it. I don't hate him, I don't hate any footballer who's done nothing personally to me. I just think he's a morally bankrupt merkin.

Everyone carry on with their day, it's just an opinion.

Pal, you are the only fool who keeps referring to the "tall poppy syndrome" :roll:

Remind me then how many premierships Shaun Johnson has won, given you have brought him into the conversation? Incidentally, DCE outplayed him in the 2011 Grand Final, so spare me your "big game" crap too.

DCE has performed well for Australia overall. So your comparison of Johnson for NZ and DCE for Qld is irrelevant also. Of course Johnson has played fantastically for NZ and is an awesome player. But just addressing your inane points given you brought him into your rant.

We all get it, you don't like DCE's character. Time to move along.

Oh and 2015 isn't over yet Nostradamus. How did Johnson start the year? :roll:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wasn't me chief, the other bloke brought up SJ. If I want to discuss him I'll find a thread about it.

I'll happily move on, I've said all I wanted to say.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Wasn't me chief, the other bloke brought up SJ. If I want to discuss him I'll find a thread about it.

I'll happily move on, I've said all I wanted to say.

the Golden Boot winner, the one who actually shows up in rep matches and wins games for his side - not runs around like a complete gimp like DCE has in every time he's been entrusted with a Maroons starting jersey.

Looks like you are discussing him and comparing him to me.

Anyway, keep getting that vein bulging in your forehead about DCE.

ek999

First Grade
With the Tits signing Hurrell today, I thought this thread was worth a bump to get everyone's thoughts over which club got a better deal out this backflip. Since he decided to stay at Manly, the Titans have signed McQueen, Ash Taylor, Peats, John Olive and now Hurrell (who could be one of the best centres in the comp if he gets his shit together away from the Warriors). James Roberts leaving would have helped with these signings too

Contrast that with Manly, who are below them on the table, DCE is really struggling for form and having to use makeshift players in the halves with him. To be fai,r Korisau is injured but he was never meant to be in the halves. I can't help but feel like the DCE decision could haunt Manly for the next 7 or however many years are left on the deal. Players signing long term contracts never seems to work - Sherwin, Gasnier, Gower, Campese, Idris are only a few that have turned sour

carcharias

Immortal
With the Tits signing Hurrell today, I thought this thread was worth a bump to get everyone's thoughts over which club got a better deal out this backflip. Since he decided to stay at Manly, the Titans have signed McQueen, Ash Taylor, Peats, John Olive and now Hurrell (who could be one of the best centres in the comp if he gets his shit together away from the Warriors). James Roberts leaving would have helped with these signings too

Contrast that with Manly, who are below them on the table, DCE is really struggling for form and having to use makeshift players in the halves with him. To be fai,r Korisau is injured but he was never meant to be in the halves. I can't help but feel like the DCE decision could haunt Manly for the next 7 or however many years are left on the deal. Players signing long term contracts never seems to work - Sherwin, Gasnier, Gower, Campese, Idris are only a few that have turned sour

don't forget the hoodoo over the sharks was broken.

Scaven

Juniors

The issue at Manly is more to do with the older members of the squad in Matai, Snake and Lyon along with Nate Myles who are all past their used by date and the other plodders in the forward pack that should be playing NSW cup. DCE still tries his heart out but isn't getting much help nor does he have a decent halves partner.

Manly need to build a team around the Turbo's and DCE and have a cleanout at the end of the year.

Having said that the Titans have done well out of this as I rate both Taylor and Elgey and if they can build a team around them they will be reaping the benefits for the next 10 years.

Barkley

Bench
DCE might yet live up to his price tag, but at this stage I would rather be in the Titans shoes.
Ash Taylor looks like a gun half in his early stages

some11

Referee
If he stayed true to his word Manly get Ash Taylor and the Titans are stuck with a dud and no room for any of the signings they've made.

Big sliding doors moment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Big money, long term deals are rubbish.

There's maybe two or three players in the game that you'd sign for long term.

IMO it's better to sign a player for two years and if he plays well, you just keep extending for 12 months, every 12 months. Sure... They may ask for a pay rise every year and it may cost you more in the long run, but better to have a player know that they need to keep earning their keep then to do a Tony Williams type deal where the player knows he's got a big income for 4 years regardless of what he does on the field.

I do believe that DCE is a competitor and he will go back to playing well when he gets some better troops around him, but in saying that, Manly could have had Ash Taylor there this year, and picked up a few of these guys that the Titans have as well. Would have probably quickened the rebuild.

Last edited:

MarkC

Juniors
As it turns out Ash Taylor looks like the better player with the potential to go much further than DCE.

It is good to see the Titans get lucky for a change.

typicalfan

Coach
Will be interesting to see how Elgey and Taylor combine. Henry has done an amazing job. Coach of the year candidate already.

OVP

Coach
The Titans best signing of all was Brian Canavan. It's no coincidence they've signed some good players and looked like a top 8 team ever since they got Brian on board. And it's no coincidence the Roosters have fallen in a screaming heap since Brian left (just like last time).

Good luck and keep going, the sky is now the limit.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If this is true, from the perspective of being a Manly supporter I am wrapped.

200905211552344965.gif

macavity

Referee
And the Titans got Taylor because Hodkinson chose the Knights :(

Wish we got the consolation prize there...

Latest posts