What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

yy_cheng

Coach
One for Bigfella

Melbourne Storm signing Ryan Morgan speaks about tough move from Parramatta Eels
Date
June 3, 2016 - 4:30PM
53 reading nowBe the first to commentRead later
Roy Ward
Roy Ward
Sports writer for The Age
View more articles from Roy Ward
Follow Roy on Twitter Email Roy
Tweet
Pin Itsubmit to redditEmail articlePrint
Ryan Morgan made his debut for Storm against his old club, Parramatta.
Ryan Morgan made his debut for Storm against his old club, Parramatta. Photo: Mark Nolan
Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur gave it to centre Ryan Morgan straight.

Unless there were injuries in the Eels' centres he wouldn't play first grade this season.

After coming through the Eels' junior ranks, making his first grade debut in 2011 and playing 84 games, it was a painful message from a coach he respects.

Those injuries didn't come at the Eels but Melbourne Storm's outside backs have been routed by injuries in the opening 12 weeks of the season.

So an offer made its way to Parramatta and by May 5 Morgan was announced as a short-term signing until season's end.

Morgan called the move a "loan" as he is still contracted with the Eels for 2017.

"This is the game we are in and Brad has always been tough but fair with the players," Morgan said.

"He told it to me straight and that's what you want as a player.

"I knew from the start of the season this was the direction Brad was going and it was going to take some injuries for me to get back into the squad.

"It was hard to swallow at the time but I was really happy to hear from Melbourne and the move happened quickly."

When Morgan arrived the team didn't have any healthy centres on their list with the likes of utility back Ben Hampton and various forwards filling in at that position.

Then Hampton went down with an injury of his own so Morgan was thrown into the first grade side for the Storm's Monday night clash two weeks ago.

It happened to be against the Eels at Pirtek Stadium.

"At the time I signed down here I think I was the only healthy centre on the list," Morgan said.

"Then Ben went down so I don't think they had any other choice than to throw me into the side and I was ready to take the opportunity."

Morgan admits squaring up against the jumper he has grown up with was tough but the 26-year-old is a good enough professional to know he had to zero in on his job as the Storm won 18-6.

"To have my debut against my old club – the script couldn't have been written any better," Morgan said.

"It was a great night but bizarre in the opening five minutes, I was tripping out a bit when they were defending and we were attacking.

"There wasn't much banter either which I appreciated – everyone just got on with their jobs."

The Eels players have endured a horror season with the salary cap scandal stripping them of points and multiple players including Morgan.

"Leaving was one of the hardest things I've had to do," Morgan admitted.

"In six years you build a lot of lifetime friendships so it's hard to see people you have known for a long time going through what they are going through.

"You would like to be there for them but they are in good hands with Brad as coach, he protects the boys and has their backs."

Morgan has been named in the Storm's side to face Penrith Panthers at AAMI Park on Saturday night although they also have winger Young Tonumaipea on their extended bench so could still shuffle their backline.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said on Friday he expected Cameron Smith to take his place at hooker following Wednesday's State of Origin game in Sydney but halfback Cooper Cronk was unlikely to play leaving Blake Green and utility forward Tohu Harris to run the side.

With star centre Will Chambers likely to return in July, Morgan faces a battle to stay in the side.

"I'm very keen to get out there on Saturday night as there are not too many games left in the season," Morgan said.

"I've come in halfway so I have to make the most of the games we have left.

"I'll look forward to every minute I can get."

The Storm play the Panthers at AAMI Park on Saturday night at 7.30pm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ove-from-parramatta-eels-20160603-gpb2ut.html

Gronk

Staff member
They said on Fox last night at the start of the Raiders game that Paul Vaughan is on the outer down there.

He's under contract for 2017, but Ricky has a shit load of pigs and they still have to retain a few.

emjaycee

Coach
I am hearing that BA has his/he's/heez eyes on someone who played on Wednesday night for an outside back role with us next year - same "mystery player" I mentioned earlier this year before we snapped up Jenko.

Gronk

Staff member
I am hearing that BA has his/he's/heez eyes on someone who played on Wednesday night for an outside back role with us next year - same "mystery player" I mentioned earlier this year before we snapped up Jenko.

Gould admitting the Panthers had a battle on their hands to keep NSW winger Mansour, who debuted for the club in 2012 after arriving as a second-tier player.

"We've been talking to Josh's manager for some time," Gould said.

"Josh has increased in value incredibly ... he commands good money and he deserves good money.

"It's just whether or not we can fit that into the salary cap."
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/06/01/segeyaro-told-hes-unwanted-penrith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts