What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne buggers off from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

yy_cheng

Coach
I see this said a lot. It makes me laugh because if this poor dude that's missing out isn't better than Hayne, then he doesn't deserve the spot to begin with. Why wouldn't they pick the best possible squad from all available sources, who cares how long they've been playing for, or how hard they worked up to that point? It's about how good are they now. If Johnny Hardwork isn't as good as Hayne, stiff shit, that's how the world works, work harder and be better than him and you'll get picked instead.

A bit like how Frank Paul has to leave because Paulo came to canberra early

Snoochies

First Grade
"I just think with Chip's playbook, it's such an intense playbook that it would just take too much time," Hayne told Fairfax Media.

"Me not having that college history, I think a lot of the guys adapt to it a lot faster because they've had the college playbooks at thought. I was always behind the nine ball just learning in general. The guys playing in college were just that far ahead.
I'm guessing that right there meant he knew he was sitting on the sidelines and had to make an exit quick.
I'm starting to believe the rumour this whole Fiji thing is just a gap filler to get back into the NRL. He'll certainly be back to full fitness come pre season.

Gronk

Staff member
Jarryd Hayne says he would return to Parramatta — but not until he’s finished his own journey

JARRYD Hayne may have played his last game in the NRL, revealing: “I realise now with my skill set ... it gives me a lot of options”.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph from Fiji, where his push to become an Olympian continues, Hayne hinted at a switch to rugby union from 2017 — in either France or Japan.

While Parramatta remains his “first choice” for any rugby league return, the 28-year-old globetrotter revealed his spiritual world tour could also be set to continue.

sked if he could even contemplate an NRL return given his experiences over the past two years, the former San Francisco 49er replied: “Um, I definitely like being able to travel, seeing the world.

“And I realise now with my skill set, it enables me to do that. Gives me a lot of options. That’s the biggest thing for me now.”

So as for where in the world he might go next?

“I like my red wine, so maybe the south of France,’’ Hayne said. “But I also like sushi, so it could be Japan.”

Of course, an extended stay in either of those countries would involve Hayne switching from league to union — a suggestion that will also have those at Wallabies HQ salivating.

But for now, the Minto product remains focused solely on rugby sevens.

Despite being no guarantee to make the Fijian squad for the Rio Olympics, Hayne fronted a press conference in Nadi where he was unveiled as the global ambassador for Fiji Airways.

Appropriately, the airline made the announcement shortly before its debut flight to San Francisco.

Opening up on his sudden departure from the 49ers, Hayne refuted claims he had been tapped on the shoulder by new coach Chip Kelly.

In fact, the rookie running back insisted he had been “excited” by Kelly’s playbook, but recognised his transition to NFL regular would simply have taken too long.

“I was going to need another two or three years to really flow with that game,’’ Hayne said.

“But the reason I’m now here is what took me to San Francisco in the first place: the chance to push myself physically, mentally, emotionally — to do things I never thought were possible.

“And I know there are people who don’t understand. To some, it doesn’t make sense. But I’m on a journey.”

And as for those critics who suggest Hayne is no chance of making the switch?

“I heard the same thing a year ago,’’ he said. “And to be honest, it’s a natural reaction.

“I know it’s a big ask. And I know I may not make this team. But I’m going to put my head down and have the best go at it I can.”

Only last week, Hayne was spotted training with Parramatta shortly before departing for camp with the Fijian sevens side.

Previously, the two-time Dally M medallist has said it would be the Eels — not the Roosters or Penrith — that would be his first choice should he return to the NRL. A position he reiterated yesterday.

“I’ve always said that, if I’m in a position to come back, then Parramatta would be my first choice,’’ Hayne said. “But we’ll have to see what happens.

“Right now, my only concern is the next few weeks here in Fiji.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/54bddc8ba74666301cca0d4e0353ede1

Gronk

Staff member
Rugby: Hayne's Fijian sevens experience 'humbling'

Jarryd Hayne's Fijian getaway has been a little less relaxing than many visitors, thrust straight into a brutal training regime in his first camp with the national sevens side.

The code hopper has only a few previous weeks to get himself up to scratch with the fitness levels required in the shorter format and win a place Fiji's sevens squad for the Olympics

And after arriving in the country on Monday, that involved a steady diet of conditioning and cardio in training camp, with Fiji coach Ben Ryan having publicly expressed his displeasure with some players' fitness levels.

Hayne - Sydney-born but with a Fijian father - had been training in Sydney with former Parramatta Eels teammate Tim Mannah but nothing could prepare him for what life in the islands would be like.

"It's been fun so far but the training has been intense and it's only going to get harder," said Hayne, announced today as an ambassador for Fiji Airways.

"It's going to be more physically demanding than mental, with the amount of running we're going to be doing. It's a challenge in itself and I'll just have to wait and see whether I can make it."

Hayne was confident in his capability of adapting to sevens, having proven himself a quick learner when with the San Francisco 49ers last year.

But after opting to chase another challenge following a year in billion-dollar industry that is the NFL, the 28-year-old said his new career move required a different kind of adjustment.

"That was part of the reason I came back - humbling myself and, being around the guys, being humbled. You go from facilities where you have everything at your beck and call to facilities like this. That's obviously very humbling but the hard work is all that matter."

And with Fiji having claimed the world series title, competition for places was certainly fierce.

"Not being there for the majority of the tournaments was obviously tough and I have to learn pretty quick," Hayne said.

"But, as you saw last year, I was able to learn very quick and was able to make the team. This is another challenge."

Hayne faced a different type of challenge altogether when attempting to lure his former 49ers teammates down to the Pacific Islands, with Fiji Airways tonight beginning a direct route from Nadi to San Francisco.

While many were interested in what Hayne's homeland was like, getting Americans out of America was easier said than done.

"Americans don't really travel that much but it's good for them to come and explore different cultures, and I've got no doubt that they'd enjoy it."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11657866

Kornstar

Coach
He directly says France and Japan, bartman phantom's panties will be all kinds of wet with that article.

hindy111

Post Whore
Id rather back guys playing for the club. As great as he is there are guys bleeding the blue and gold at the moment .

84 Baby

Referee
He directly says France and Japan, bartman phantom's panties will be all kinds of wet with that article.

Remind me again where the next union world cup is and which country he can earn a shitload and not even have to be good?

Best hope of a return is for up to league world cup

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Remind me again where the next union world cup is and which country he can earn a shitload and not even have to be good?

Best hope of a return is for up to league world cup

Are you suggesting that he only likes to perform on a big stage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts