What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New South Wales 2016

The side for game 3 -

1 James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)
2 Blake Ferguson (Sydney Roosters)
3 Michael Jennings (Parramatta Eels)
4 Josh Dugan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
5 Josh Mansour (Penrith Panthers)
6 James Maloney (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
7 Adam Reynolds (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
8 Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9 Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
10 Paul Gallen (c) Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
11 Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
12 Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
13 Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Interchange
14 Jack Bird (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
15 James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
16 David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
17 Andrew Fifita (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks).

Development players
Bryce Cartwright (Penrith Panthers)
Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles).

They had to get some Manly players in somewhere eh? Also what the hell has Dugan done this year to merit selection in the centres? Which ever one of Ferguson or Moylan who plays outside him may as well take the night off when the Blues have the ball. Dugan never passes it.

BennyV

Referee
I dunno really. He's very dangerous indeed when his side is on top, but can be invisible when they are not.

I think it's fairer to compare him to Hayne than Moylan
, a different style of player completely. Hayne could disappear in games too. But he could also put something on when his team was under the pump, and he could find holes in the strongest defences.

It would be nice for Jimmy if Queensland left him lots of lovely holes like the Panthers did, or if NSW get 65% of the ball like the Tigers did in Melbourne in the second half, but we all know Queensland are not going to allow him such largesse.

This is his ultimate test. I wish him well.

Nah, fairer to compare him to the bloke who's spot he took. That way, we can just acknowledge that Tedesco is a better player, in better form and thoroughly deserves the jersey. Then we can move on to other issues, like global warming and the like...

Danish

Referee
He only has the world's best player alongside him.

What I'm saying is, the trend lately is for Gallen to be conveniently blamed in all the losses, whether it be 'running it on the 4th' (which is what I thought a forward is obligated to do) or 'hogging the ball' (he gets metres doesn't he? - something our other forwards don't do).

The fault to blame is glaringly obvious - our halves. You can blame whoever else till the cows come home because when they become deer in the headlights against the world's best opposition - we don't win games. Simple.

While Gallen was on the field in origin 2, he touched the ball more than our 2 halves combined. Aaron Woods and Gallen handled the ball more than Reynolds and Maloney, and that is not even taking into account the fact they played less than 50 mins each.

Meanwhile, the QLD halves handled the ball triple the amount of times as their props, and more than their entire forward pack combined.

The point being, QLD's forwards don't try and dominate possession the entire game taking shitty hit ups in the attacking zone or trying to run their own set plays. The NSW halves are pushed into the background by the blues boys club of dumbass forwards.

You blame the halves for our losses, yet our halves have changed every year. The core of the forward pack has stayed more of less the same, yet apparently aren't responsible? Come on man.

I'm impressed with some of the selections for game 3. There are 5-6 more key changes to make by game 1 next year, and we'll see if they have the guts to make them

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Matt Scott does, and he doesn't get in the way late in sets both at rep Level and Club level.

Fallen should have been retired. Give a young prop a chance before next year.

Haha no he doesn't, not on his own

Cut it anyway you like but without Smith, JT and Cronk to get the Qlder forwards on the front foot they are no better than the NSW pack including Gallen

Are you blaming Gallen for any of Australia's losses too? He was there as well

Your knowledge of RL is astoundingly small

tigertiger

Juniors
While Gallen was on the field in origin 2, he touched the ball more than our 2 halves combined. Aaron Woods and Gallen handled the ball more than Reynolds and Maloney, and that is not even taking into account the fact they played less than 50 mins each.

So let me get this straight. If Gallen and Woods touched the ball less times, made less metres and were less involved in tackles 1-4, AND our halves touched the ball more times during these tackles, then NSW would have stood more of a chance to win?

TheVelourFog

First Grade

Cut it anyway you like but without Smith, JT and Cronk to get the Qlder forwards on the front foot they are no better than the NSW pack including Gallen

Yeah someone here has no idea

How do the backs get the forwards on the front foot exactly?

lockyno1

Post Whore

I'm happy the hack Gallen is there. It means the backs won't do anything as usual because they have Gallen hogging the ball the entire set. Gallen tries, he puts in, but he is a yard slower and he is as ordinary as anything in attack.

That beside the point, what is the point in playing a guy who won't be there next year anyway when there are others who would benefit from getting a taste of Origin, someone like Jake Trojboyvic or someone like that, Paul Vaughn would be another. The list goes on. Instead you stick with a proven failure in Gallen.

It is always easy to blame the halves, but what are they meant to do when Gallen and Farah hog the ball all game. Instead it is the halves getting punted, the logic is amazing there...

betcats

Referee

What I'm saying is, the trend lately is for Gallen to be conveniently blamed in all the losses, whether it be 'running it on the 4th' (which is what I thought a forward is obligated to do) or 'hogging the ball' (he gets metres doesn't he? - something our other forwards don't do).

The fault to blame is glaringly obvious - our halves. You can blame whoever else till the cows come home because when they become deer in the headlights against the world's best opposition - we don't win games. Simple.

Mate when you have people like Gus and Sterlo saying that Gallen stifles the attack and the halves then there is obviously something to it. He calls the ball in attacking situations when it should be going to the halves, in that NSW team Gals call is always going to be the dominant one. Meninga flat out said in an article before game two when he coached QLD they wanted Gallen on the ball as much as possible, it was good for QLD. The guy wants to do everything and it hurts the team, simple as that.

So let me get this straight. If Gallen and Woods touched the ball less times, made less metres and were less involved in tackles 1-4, AND our halves touched the ball more times during these tackles, then NSW would have stood more of a chance to win?

Your halves are there to be the creative players in the side. To do so, they need the ball. Gallen often takes 2 hit ups in every set of six. When you add in Woods doing 1, that means our 2 props are taking up 3 out of a set of 6 tackles. If you eliminate 1 tackle for a kick, that means you only have 2 remaining tackles for the halves to attempt to put on any plays.

Go back and watch a replay of Origin 2, especially the second half. You will often see when the referee signals "5th and last tackle" on a NSW set, the player who is playing the ball will be Paul Gallen.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

So you ARE blaming Gallen. :sarcasm:

Jason Maher

Immortal
We're getting there slowly. Ferguson has done less than nothing to merit his selection (I'd honestly prefer Walker on the wing, at least he's fast), and Jennings has to be on thin ice after his match and series losing shocker in game 2. I think it's an error and so typical of NSW to dump Moylan after 2 games, but it's hard to deny that Tedesco thoroughly deserves his spot. I also think it's an error not to hand Bryce Cartwright a debut in a dead rubber. Should have dumped Jackson, kept Gallen in the back row, and brought in Cartwright on the bench (and started any of the 3 bench props). I would have dumped Farah for Peats too, but it was never going to happen. The positive is both Frizell and Graham finally in the side. Two of the more destructive runners and hardest hitters in the game, and long overdue. Next year may be the first time in forever wholesale changes to the incumbent NSW side are not called for.

SBD82

Coach
Daley logic

Frizzel has an excellent debut playing on the edge for NSW in game II. One of the best on the ground for us.

Game III? Pick him in the middle.

Valheru

Coach
Good changes but they didn't go far enough. I am not sure why they would pick Gallen and Farah for one last hurrah and not Greg Bird. Either let Bird have his farewell as well or don't pick the lot of them.

Frailty

First Grade
Talk to any Sharks fan, and I dare most would agree that Gallen has a tendency to stifle attack. He did it at the Sharks for years - but he hasn't this year. Namely because our halves have dominated the game and over call him.

It's up to both halves to grab the game, and not sit back watching. Maloney surely knows he can do it, and I think Reynolds is a slump and unable to really do it. If he does, the NSW attack will open up.

I won't expect much different in game 3 to be honest. I think we have some more dangerous players (Tedesco, Frizell, Graham, Dugan, Bird), but they will have issues due to slow ruck speed. That's what's really killing the Blues.

I think Fergo will be better for it next year. This year he spent the off season training to play fullback and lost size which has made him ineffective at breaking tackles. He should come right next year knowing he'll be playing at centre.

simmo1

First Grade
I dunno really. He's very dangerous indeed when his side is on top, but can be invisible when they are not.

lol what is this dribble. He plays for a team that is constantly dominated and still looks good. The rare occasion Tigers are on top its largely due to him. Probably should have ended the post after the first two words.

TheFrog

Coach
lol what is this dribble. He plays for a team that is constantly dominated and still looks good. The rare occasion Tigers are on top its largely due to him. Probably should have ended the post after the first two words.

No sorry I think its the other way around. They start getting ball, he comes into the backline and finds holes. Please watch the first half against Melbourne and see what happens when his side is under the pump. Nothing. He isn't sighted. The second half was different because every 50/50 call went their way and they had all the ball.