What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRAGONS SIGN HALF

DUB888

Juniors
Illawarra Cutters playmaker Shaun Nona has secured an NRL contract.

Nona was set to join North Queensland feeder side Townsville in 2017 but his deal had a release clause which would allow him to walk away if he secure an NRL contract.

Market Watch can reveal that a Blackhawks official has confirmed the 26-year-old has since activated that clause and signed a full-time contract with the Dragons.

Having spent time in Melbourne’s system before linking with the Dragons, Nona led the Cutters to NRL State Championship glory against Burleigh.

The second tier deal will see Nona challenge youngster Drew Hutchison and Josh McCrone for a place in the NRL side.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/df0376e29a21a6c1a01138a710119437

hewi

Bench
Wow, how good is that. IMO he has the skills and the X factor that I feel Hutch lacks. Let's hope he can make the step up to the top grade. If Mary's roll next year is reduced maybe just maybe we will go ok?

deansykes

Juniors
Great news... this guy has all the potential in the world. Can kick a goal from the sideline too... will take the pressure off the mis-firing widdop

Dragsters

First Grade
Make so much sense.

Experienced in terms of age and we have seen this year with Cody walkers ability to excel with a late start in the top grade, that it can be done.

Nona has x-factor and that is something we lack in the current roster.

I'm a big fan of this move and if it means JDs influence is growing, even better!

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Nona is good. Get demitriou in and he will bring the best out of our halves, whatever they may be. For me, I'd like Mann and Nona with Widdop at fullback. Let hutch dominate nsw cup with odd recall into firsts. Or do you give him first crack in the 7 out of respect. He may well genuinely have the talent but being such a big fella, he could revert back to the ball playing lock . I know many say Mann is untried but seeing him run around with the sunny coast falcons last year in the 6 jumper, I just thought, here is a Darren Lockyer fella; Impressive. Hope this is a jd sign for coach. If McGregor had any say, josh mccrone would have a statue out the front of kogarah.

Dragsters

First Grade
Question;

If Nona has signed a second tier contract and he gets a run early in the season and he fires and keeps his spot, how does this affect the second tier cap?

Is he able to play the remainder of the season?

Does the exhausting of the second tier cap effectivley limit the number of games he can play?

If this happens, does it prevent other rookies from being blooded if form or injury warrants their selection?

Any insight into the detailed workings of the second tier cap and its potential implications would be appreciated.

The Doc

Juniors
The interesting thing in all of this is that it was JD who said "Nona is the best untapped talent", that was after the grand final win.
Nona was released soon after and now re-signed.... JD influence in the coaching and make up of the team?
Id say this is a clear sign that the wheels are in motion for JD to take over as caretaker coach pretty early in the season if results arent produced.
Although JD is untried at first grade as head coach, i honestly believe he will do a pretty good job.
He is familiar with the youngsters, so he wont be scared to promote, un like mary.
Still, im not looking forward to the first 6-8 weeks of the comp, hopefully mary wont last that long!

Gareth67

First Grade
Very happy we've not let him go, considering the complete lack of depth in the halves.. Was spewing when I heard we let him go back to NQ.
Well done recruitment.

Agree , it appears that Recruitment has used some common sense and realised that he will be an asset to the team after all .
We have seen just what he is capable of in the Cutters , not only his evasiveness , but his kicking game in general . That in itself will add a whole new dimension to the Dragons attack.

He is the type of player that will have the oppositions defence second - guessing itself , as has already been said , a player that has the ' X ' factor , the very ingredient that all teams require if they are to be successful . Welcome home Shaun .

Old Timer

Coach
Nona definitely looked good in the Cutters however he will need to be a hell of a lot fitter to have the same impact in the NRL.
He certainly can get the opposition guessing, committing and hopping around which is great and hopefully he takes his chance with 2 hands.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
This signing hints that Coyne and Demetriou
are pulling the strings. Apparently Coyne and Brian Johnston catch up for coffee at Coogee. Brian Johnston is an astute judge of talent. I telephoned him once to recommend a player and he knew everything about him.
He gave me the pros and the cons and said that while the player in question was talented he had a chequered past and they would not approach him.
We should have some great depth next year
and if Vaughan and Leilua sign we will be laughing.

Latest posts