What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Ryles

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Cheika

Votes: 33 39.8%

• Total voters

Noise

Coach
Lucky Nathan Hindmarsh isn't involved in making the selections. Last night on the Matty John's show, he put forward Burt and Cayless as head coach options. I know they are mates and all but c'mon

Dumb as dog shit. Just like Graham recommending his mates Mary and Ennis.

When asked about origin selections Finucane said his mate Mcinnes and Woods said his team mate Olokouatu.

Footy players / ex player rarely have anything insightful to offer.

Lucky Nathan Hindmarsh isn't involved in making the selections. Last night on the Matty John's show, he put forward Burt and Cayless as head coach options. I know they are mates and all but c'mon

Nathan Cayless has been an NRL assistant coach for a few years, being at the Warriors since 2018. Also he did coach the Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup for 2016 and 2017.

Not saying he is the right hire, but he's not as inexperienced in day to day coaching at club level though like say Billy Slater.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Nathan Cayless has been an NRL assistant coach for a few years, being at the Warriors since 2018. Also he did coach the Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup for 2016 and 2017.

Not saying he is the right hire, but he's not as inexperienced in day to day coaching at club level though like say Billy Slater.
Cayless failed to make the finals for Wenty in both 2016 and 2017. He came back to Parra reserve grade and failed to make the semis in 2023 too.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Brent Read: Lebanese connection gives untested NRL coach Michael Cheika leg up for Eels’ vacant head coach job​

NRL clubs are generally risk-averse – but could a coach like Michael Cheika, who already has a relationship with Mitch Moses – actually be a good thing for Parramatta?

Risk-aversion are words normally associated with economics or finance. Over the coming weeks, it’s likely to rear its head in rugby league.
NRL clubs, in their pursuit of coaches, tend to minimise or reduce risk wherever possible. It’s why we see so many coaches getting recycled when a job becomes available.

The tried and tested seems to be preferable on most occasions. At least you know what you are going to get. The less surprises the better.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. History shows no coach is a guarantee.

There’s probably only four sure things in the modern game – Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Trent Robinson and maybe Ivan Cleary.

Even they have had their lean years. Wouldn’t it be ironic then if the one club that everyone chastises for their aversion to risk – the Parramatta Eels, so often lambasted as being the domain of bankers – took a punt in their search for their next coach.

The Eels are in the midst of finding a replacement of the axed Brad Arthur and a host of names have been thrust forward, both the old and the new.

Michael Cheika and Mitch Moses have a good relationship from working together at the Cedars. Picture: Jan Kruger/Getty Images for RLWC

Call it the tried and untested. The most intriguing is former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika, who has made no secret of his desire to have a crack at the NRL.

Cheika is expected to have a red-hot go at the Eels job. He won’t play it out in public, but will likely make his interest known behind closed doors.

It would be no surprise if Cheika was given an interview and once that door opens, it may be enough given his commanding presence.

Cheika is no stranger to rugby league – he was an assistant at the Sydney Roosters to Robinson and then took charge of Lebanon at the World Cup, where he did an outstanding job.

Spend some time in Cheika’s presence – as this columnist did in Manchester two years ago – and you can’t help but walk away impressed.

He is incredibly intelligent, self made and has a genuine presence. He owns a room and the people in it. He has had immense success in rugby union and craves a chance in rugby league.

The Eels would seem the perfect fit given he has connections at the club – at that World Cup two years ago, his star player was Eels halfback Mitchell Moses.

Moses is without doubt the most influential player at Parramatta and Cheika took a side featuring the Eels playmaker, Adam Doueihi and a handful of NSW Cup players all the way to the quarter-finals, where they ran into a rampant Australia.

He did it with an intelligent support cast and buy-in from his playing group, something the Eels would appear to desperately need right now.

The western Sydney powerhouse has gone nearly 40 years without a premiership and their supporters learned long ago not to get their hopes up.

All most of them know is bitter disappointment. Arthur got them close but not close enough. It’s now someone else’s turn to try to break the drought and Cheika should be in the mix.

He is smart enough to know what he doesn’t know. No doubt, he would surround himself with the right people but his strength is the dressing room and the people in it.

He knows how to get the best out of them and the talent at the Eels isn’t in question. They were in a grand final less than two years ago and their window is now open.

With some subtle tinkering, their squad appears in position to challenge for a premiership. Their next coach just needs to knit it all together.

That’s what Cheika does as well as anyone. Yes, it is a risk but it may be a risk worth taking. The Eels made a difficult call this week and they now face an even tougher one as they decide who is the right man to take the club forward.

They have been inundated with resumes and the usual suspects have been thrust upon them. NSW coach Michael Maguire would slide into the role and no doubt do a great job.

So too Melbourne assistant Jason Ryles, interim coach Trent Barrett and Cronulla’s Josh Hannay. Maybe Sam Burgess, Mick Ennis and Blake Green are ready to step up.

There are no shortage of options and the Eels are not necessarily in a rush. They can sit back, take their time and make an educated decision.

They have no need to take any risks. Then again, why not. Surely it’s time someone took a chance on Cheika.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Brent Read: Lebanese connection gives untested NRL coach Michael Cheika leg up for Eels’ vacant head coach job​

NRL clubs are generally risk-averse – but could a coach like Michael Cheika, who already has a relationship with Mitch Moses – actually be a good thing for Parramatta?

Risk-aversion are words normally associated with economics or finance. Over the coming weeks, it’s likely to rear its head in rugby league.
NRL clubs, in their pursuit of coaches, tend to minimise or reduce risk wherever possible. It’s why we see so many coaches getting recycled when a job becomes available.

The tried and tested seems to be preferable on most occasions. At least you know what you are going to get. The less surprises the better.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. History shows no coach is a guarantee.

There’s probably only four sure things in the modern game – Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Trent Robinson and maybe Ivan Cleary.

Even they have had their lean years. Wouldn’t it be ironic then if the one club that everyone chastises for their aversion to risk – the Parramatta Eels, so often lambasted as being the domain of bankers – took a punt in their search for their next coach.

The Eels are in the midst of finding a replacement of the axed Brad Arthur and a host of names have been thrust forward, both the old and the new.

Michael Cheika and Mitch Moses have a good relationship from working together at the Cedars. Picture: Jan Kruger/Getty Images for RLWC

Call it the tried and untested. The most intriguing is former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika, who has made no secret of his desire to have a crack at the NRL.

Cheika is expected to have a red-hot go at the Eels job. He won’t play it out in public, but will likely make his interest known behind closed doors.

It would be no surprise if Cheika was given an interview and once that door opens, it may be enough given his commanding presence.

Cheika is no stranger to rugby league – he was an assistant at the Sydney Roosters to Robinson and then took charge of Lebanon at the World Cup, where he did an outstanding job.

Spend some time in Cheika’s presence – as this columnist did in Manchester two years ago – and you can’t help but walk away impressed.

He is incredibly intelligent, self made and has a genuine presence. He owns a room and the people in it. He has had immense success in rugby union and craves a chance in rugby league.

The Eels would seem the perfect fit given he has connections at the club – at that World Cup two years ago, his star player was Eels halfback Mitchell Moses.

Moses is without doubt the most influential player at Parramatta and Cheika took a side featuring the Eels playmaker, Adam Doueihi and a handful of NSW Cup players all the way to the quarter-finals, where they ran into a rampant Australia.

He did it with an intelligent support cast and buy-in from his playing group, something the Eels would appear to desperately need right now.

The western Sydney powerhouse has gone nearly 40 years without a premiership and their supporters learned long ago not to get their hopes up.

All most of them know is bitter disappointment. Arthur got them close but not close enough. It’s now someone else’s turn to try to break the drought and Cheika should be in the mix.

He is smart enough to know what he doesn’t know. No doubt, he would surround himself with the right people but his strength is the dressing room and the people in it.

He knows how to get the best out of them and the talent at the Eels isn’t in question. They were in a grand final less than two years ago and their window is now open.

With some subtle tinkering, their squad appears in position to challenge for a premiership. Their next coach just needs to knit it all together.

That’s what Cheika does as well as anyone. Yes, it is a risk but it may be a risk worth taking. The Eels made a difficult call this week and they now face an even tougher one as they decide who is the right man to take the club forward.

They have been inundated with resumes and the usual suspects have been thrust upon them. NSW coach Michael Maguire would slide into the role and no doubt do a great job.

So too Melbourne assistant Jason Ryles, interim coach Trent Barrett and Cronulla’s Josh Hannay. Maybe Sam Burgess, Mick Ennis and Blake Green are ready to step up.

There are no shortage of options and the Eels are not necessarily in a rush. They can sit back, take their time and make an educated decision.

They have no need to take any risks. Then again, why not. Surely it’s time someone took a chance on Cheika.

I’m starting to warm to this idea. We’ve been risk averse for decades and it has gotten us nothing. Why not offer three years and see how Cheika goes. At worst we’re in a similar position than we’re in now. At best, the risk pays off. Use some of the resources now at our disposal to bring in the best tactical nous as assistants and see how we go.

If ever we’re going to put all our chips on the table, now is the time to do it.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
I’m starting to warm to this idea. We’ve been risk averse for decades and it has gotten us nothing. Why not offer three years and see how Cheika goes. At worst we’re in a similar position that we’re in now. At best, the risk pays off. Use some of the resources now at our disposal to bring in the best tactical nous as assistants and see how we go.

If ever we’re going to put all our chips on the table, now is the time to do it.
I agree i have never been more keen to get a guy like Cheika in.

He is worth the punt in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a problem if we went Hannay or Holbrook either.

But i reckon there just as much a risk as Cheika anyway.

Cheika has runs on the boards on knowing how to win and lead a group of men and get them together.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cheika is a good fit for a big club that we want to be.

He is a self made businessman for starters so he is no fool.

Just because he played & coached rugby doesn't mean he hasnt been watching Rugby League his whole life and wouldn't have a clue.

His leadership and man-management is second to none & he has the temperament & experience to handle to pressure and expectation with the media when it comes to coaching a big club like us.

I get the sense also coaching the NRL is an itch he wants to scratch and he wouldn't back down from a fight either.

I wouldnt be judging his record with the wallabies there a bigger lost cause then us.

He took the Waratahs to there only title in Super Rugby.

He would get buy in from Moses straight away and lets be honest Moses is our most crucial player moving forward for the next 5 years.

He even convinced Israel Folau to go to rugby when that debacle with Ian Schubert putting a minimum value on him to come to Parra got blocked.

So he can be pervasive as well i reckon.

Let's be completely honest, here - rugby league is a much, much simpler game than rugby union.

If he's coached at high levels in rugby union with success, why couldn't he "dumb it down" to coach a side in the "peasants' version" of the code?

Cheika not having coached much rugby league means nothing - it's not as though he was a tennis coach, who we are looking at to be a rugby league coach.

He's my pick, tbh.

Noise

Coach
I agree i have never been more keen to get a guy like Cheika in.

He is worth the punt in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a problem if we went Hannay or Holbrook either.

But i reckon there just as much a risk as Cheika anyway.

Cheika has runs on the boards on knowing how to win and lead a group of men and get them together.
Agree with all that. If they want an experienced man manager, Cheika is the go. Otherwise Hannay or Holbrook. None of the other options appeal at all.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Let's be completely honest, here - rugby league is a much, much simpler game than rugby union.

If he's coached at high levels in rugby union with success, why couldn't he "dumb it down" to coach a side in the "peasants' version" of the code?

Cheika not having coaches much rugby league means nothing - it's not as though he was a tennis coach, who we are looking at to be a rugby league coach.
Cheika used to appear regularly on Triple M NRL Sunday show talking about Rugby League with Matty Johns when he was hosting it years ago back when he was coaching Waratahs.

He is not stupid he worked at the chooks under Robbo in 2020 for a season. He knows the game just played a different sport.

No different to soccer players who love rugby league.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Luke Burt MAY make a good coach one day - he was certainly a very smart footballer.

But, yes - at this stage, it would be career suicide for him .

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cheika used to appear regularly on Triple M NRL Sunday show talking about Rugby League with Matty Johns when he was hosting it years ago back when he was coaching Waratahs.

He is not stupid he worked at the chooks under Robbo in 2020 for a season. He knows the game just played a different sport.

No different to soccer players who love rugby league.

I agree totally.

He was the best Wallabies coach we've had in a long, long time - it's not his fault that the All Blacks are basically invincible, and our pathways at grassroots level in union are terrible.

The guy can definitely coach - the Lebanese side had some NRL regulars like Moses, but it was largely part-time players, and he got them playing great footy.

I'd be happy if we signed him.

Latest posts