What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Newcastle Knights: Community ownership model for Hunter's NRL flagship

Caped Crusader

Juniors
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...ow-newcastle-could-own-its-team-video/?cs=306

THE Newcastle Knights can become a community-owned asset by the start of the 2018 NRL season if the Novocastrian faithful rally behind an ambitious plan.

The region’s rugby league franchise has been run by the governing body since June 2014, when former owner Nathan Tinkler was ousted after a disastrous three-year tenure that left the club with millions of dollars in liabilities.

The NRL recently put the club’s licence out to tender, but despite expressions of interest from 17 entities, none fulfilled enough criteria to clinch a deal.

Today the Newcastle Herald can reveal the seven men who have joined forces to create a business model entitled “Our Knights”, which they hope will eventually create a financially sustainable team owned by tens of thousands of shareholders.

The group of self-proclaimed “community facilitators” comprises former Knights chairman Rob Tew, ex-Sharp Electronics owner John Duncan, solicitor Nick Dan, entrepreneur Andrew Poole, Newcastle Now executive manager Michael Neilson, marketing and advertising guru Marty Adnum, and former NBN sports presenter Mike Rabbitt.

Their goal is to raise $15-20 million by selling $500 shares in the Knights, which they hope will be enough to convince NRL management that a team owned by the people is a better proposition than privatisation.

The group have studied the fan-based ownership structures of NFL franchise Green Bay Packers and soccer teams Barcelona and Portsmouth to tailor a plan they believe can succeed in Newcastle.

“We’re the perfect market to try this in,’’ Poole said.

“Newcastle and the Hunter is the right demographic. It’s a regional community.

“It won’t work everywhere. Some of the inner-Sydney clubs, this model probably wouldn’t suit them.

“But for this region, it’s perfect. The timing is right. We’ve been through what we’ve been through [failed privatisation] and we need to get over it.

“In my opinion, this is just right and the community asset needs to come back to the community. It needs to reflect the ideals, values and culture of the community, not an owner.’’

Tew, Knights chairman from 2008 until the 2011 vote that ratified the Tinkler takeover, admitted “there was no underestimating how steep this slope is,” in convincing thousands of Novocastrians to invest in a once-proud team who have collected back-to-back wooden spoons.

He explained the plan would involve a “three-phase operation’’.

The first stage was to announce the proposal and call for expressions of interest on the newly created website, www.ourknights.com.au. If there is enough support – and the group believe that will be apparent within a matter of days – people who leave their details on the website will be contacted and offered a chance to buy shares. Meanwhile, community and business forums and polls will be conducted to verify the level of interest and whether the plan is viable.

“We will have a gauge by [Saturday] afternoon, from the comments that are coming back, as to whether exactly this is worth pursuing or not,’’ Rabbitt said.

In a group statement, they estimated three months “is an appropriate time for our community to prove that the passion is there in the region for a community ownership model’’.

If that proves the case, stage two will proceed over a time frame of eight to 12 months, during which an advertising campaign will be rolled out and prospective shareholders will be asked to invest and the money deposited in a trust fund.

If revenue falls short of the projected minimum of $15 million, all deposits will be refunded in full.

But if the share-sale process produces the necessary nest egg to secure NRL endorsement, stage three would kick off. It would be a three-to-four month period, during which the club would make the transition to community ownership before the 2018 season starts.

“The object is to get the NRL to become an endorsee,’’ Poole said.

“We want them to stand side by side with us when we go to the community, asking for shareholders.’’

The Our Knights group met with the NRL in November to outline their plans and said the reception was “supportive”.

They intend to convince the powers-that-be that the NRL should forgo any up-front purchase fee and write off any liabilities the Knights have incurred on the governing body’s watch.

They estimate the Knights will cost around $20 million a year to run, of which $11-12 million will be covered by NRL grants. That leaves around $8-9 million each year to secure through sponsorships, merchandise and gate-takings and it is hoped that within three years, the club would be at least breaking even and reinvesting any profits back into rugby league.

Included in a detailed budget for the first three years is $7.5 million to be spent on a rugby league centre of excellence.

“I think the only opportunity for this club to be viable long term is to have this community invested in it,’’ Tew said. “We think the community’s ownership of this club is its only saviour for the future.’’

Poole said the business plan, if successful, would “future-proof” the Knights.

“We’re not just raising enough money to survive next year and the year after,’’ he said. “We’re targeting $20 million, 40,000 shares … this is about getting enough money to go forward, from day one, fully funded and sustainable.’’

The group believe this will be the one and only opportunity for a region stretching from the Hawkesbury to the far north coast and inland to own their rugby league team.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
What do I get for my $500?
WHAT do I get for my 500 bucks? That will be the obvious question that the average Novocastrian asks before committing to the Our Knights community-ownership proposal.

Five hundred dollars will buy one share (of a proposed 40,000) in the Knights, and a vote in the election for a board of possibly seven directors. It will entitle the owner to a discount on season tickets and merchandise.

It will secure a piece of history, because there are unlikely to be any further share releases, and they are non-transferrable (except by bequest). Nobody will be allowed to buy more than four per cent (1600) of the shares.

The remaining inaugural members who founded the Knights in 1988 would each be given a share for free.

The Our Knights group hope that families and fans might buy an individual share, while businesses might buy multiple shares.

A three-year payment plan is proposed, so each share can cost as little as $3 per week.

Knight76

Juniors
The one problem I see is their plan that the NRL is just going to give them the license.

Spot On

Coach
http://newcastle-knight.s60.com.au/mission/

Local businessman have announced their plan to have the Knights owned by the community.

Can this work for us?

The only way anything is ever going to 'work' for this club would be to have a leagues club financing the football club ala the big, successful clubs in the comp.

Otherwise, it's simply deja vu.

The model could be successful for a couple of seasons, then the debt will grow and we're back where we started from.

Need a Leagues Club that makes a shit load to pay the bills for the football club.

Private ownership could work if the owner actually has money to lose and likes losing it, year after year after year.

Knight76

Juniors
The problem is we will never get to the point where we can buy our own leagues club.

The 15 mill raised will be eroded as you said, I can't see how the knights are going to suddenly become profitable in only a few years.

Maybe an ownership model with a yearly or bi-annual contribution. The 15 mil equals 30,000 owner shares. If the knights turn a loss of 2 million annually, then bi-annual contribution would be about $130 per share.

Not bank breaking, but not ideal to keep putting the hand out to owners. But in the end, owning sporting clubs is a cost venture, not a profit one.

Noname36

First Grade
It's a nice idea and all but completely not sustainable.

You simply cannot rely on memberships, gate takings and sponsorship to bring in enough money to run a club in the current game (it's even worse for us because we're coming off 2 spoons so memberships and sponsorship will be lower than usual).

We'll accumulate so much debt in the first couple of years we'll be in exactly this position again...probably worse.

Again, nice idea and all but they're living in la la land.

slotmachine

First Grade
It also assumes the nrl just gives the club away.

Souths won the comp in 2014, have 35000 members, are co-owned by James freaking Packer and without a leagues club lost $2.6 million in 2015

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Nice idea, but the market is much smaller than the number of shares available. $500 per share is a huge ask across 30,000 fans...

Pedge1971

First Grade
The so called local businessmen are mostly identities who have had some involvement with the club over the years (e.g. Tew).

So wtf will they do differently to grow revenue that will put us on a level playing field with the Broncos and Sydney teams with massive leagues club funding and/or TPA?

Would be surprised if they can answer that. The whole pitch pulls at the heart strings but has no substance.

This means we remain uncompetitive but survive (status quo) or we spend the same as other clubs to try and become competitive and eventually go broke (again) or get bailed out by the nrl, or (worse) fold.......

Waste of 500 bucks I dont have.......

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It could work if the shares demanded a yearly contribution (basically membership), but at $500 a piece i doubt that would go close to working...

The vital thing this proposal lacks is an expertise that private owners should be bringing.

Russel Crowe is a great owner, not because he put his own money in but because he built a club that didnt need his money.

This would give Newcastle the immediate cash injection that any privatisation would, but without the prospect of any ongoing support.

Its a nice idea, but right now i can only see holes in this plan...

perverse

Referee
Their plan relies on making us profitable in a short amount of time, something no-one can yet achieve. Reeks of Patrons Trust to me, and no surprise to see a lot of the same personalities involved. Actually, the Patrons Trust model might actually be more viable. I can't see where we find that many investors, and I can't see where the money keeps coming from in the future if we don't start suddenly making profit.

macavity

Referee
It is the patrons trust. That isn't a bad thing.

The NRL is well aware that all but one club bleeding money on an operational basis is not sustainable. The grant is going to go up massively to account for that.

This model will be sustainable moving forward as long as it is well capitalised at the start.

perverse

Referee

The NRL is well aware that all but one club bleeding money on an operational basis is not sustainable. The grant is going to go up massively to account for that.

This model will be sustainable moving forward as long as it is well capitalised at the start.

That sounds fine, but then why not wait until that funding is actually in place before moving to this model? I don't want to see a situation where the club is putting its hand out to its supporters all the time for more funding. Everything else sounds hunky dory, but I don't believe the NRL is currently sustainable and wouldn't be willing to bet it on "the NRL knows it's unsustainable". I would say if and when that funding is in place, then it makes sense to have this model, not before.

I think it will be a hard sell to find 15000-30000 people willing to go in this much on the club, too... but that's a different story and doesn't mean it's not worth a shot. I'd be willing if I could be properly convinced it's viable long term.

Burwood

Bench
An increased NRL grant just means more money being spent by clubs on the exact same things that got them into debt in the first place.

I don't see how this model does anything other than ensure that we stay a mediocre club that doesn't have the funds to compete against the big boys.

Spot On

Coach

Really??? And just where will the NRL keep getting this money from??? The TV rights deals aren't going to grow exponentially for ever. I can't see how they can afford to cover the clubs. This isn't the NFL and we are not a country with potentially 300 million plus viewers. I don't think we are far from the top in terms of TV rights $$$. Surely.

Latest posts