What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True enough. But say all the top players left.
They won't all leave though. There are enough crowd pullers happy to remain that the NRL can afford to talk tough about individual malcontents.

As for the influx of juniors and creation of new stars, the NRL clubs (funded directly or indirectly by their supporter bases) see to that. The NRL doesn't need to worry.

That said, I would support the NRL taking over junior development entirely, if they reduced the money to clubs and poached all the junior scouts/coaches currently working for the clubs. Would it lead to better or worse junior development? I have no idea. But it would at least lead to more even distribution of those players.

84 Baby

Referee
That said, I would support the NRL taking over junior development entirely, if they reduced the money to clubs and poached all the junior scouts/coaches currently working for the clubs. Would it lead to better or worse junior development? I have no idea. But it would at least lead to more even distribution of those players.
I think that's the way they're headed already

strider

Post Whore
He didn't get away lightly, but I think its fair.

The standard has been set now.

Great leadership from Bernie

#feelthebern
Most comprehensive statement EVER! ... go Bernie!!

I think its pretty fair considering its a first offense .... maybe solves a selection dilemma too

phantom eel

First Grade
What? Players make themselves into stars, with what the achieve on the field....
Sure Baz, it's all down to the individual player huh... not benefiting from the game's infrastructure during their development, or benefiting from club facilities, staff, training, and systems at the top level either.

You sound like you're doing a player-manager apprenticeship... These individual freak of nature athlete-stars owe the game nothing! Nothing at all!! The game should be thankful they are even playing, and should show them the money!

At this stage, the NRL thankfully still understands the importance of juniors, but the point remains.
So does "the importance of juniors" point toward some factor that contributes to a player becoming a star other than themself? If not, why is developing juniors important at all Baz?

Dibs

Bench
I have no specific feelings for or against Barba as a fan...but first off, the idea that a player would be "nothing" without the game is ludicrous. Yeah, they wouldn't be a household name in two states of Australia, but so what? They'd earn a living some other way. Secondly, surely the game is better off with a Ben Barba in it than a bunch of Luke Kellys'....I know which one I'd pay more to see play.

True enough. But say all the top players left. Would the game continue to thrive? Or would it die a slow death, like rugby has been in Australia since the playing quality dropped? Personally I think there's still enough quality young players to keep the game going, but the point remains. The game needs star players more than star players need the game.
I'll have to disagree Barba would be nothing except maybe trouble.
What is Luke Kelly got to do with anything? Now that Barba is not playing has he been replaced by 12 Kelly's? No he hasn't so that's a stupid statement. Is the NRL worse off without Barba? No it isn't. For every quality player the game loses whether through retirement, changing codes or suspension there is always more to replace him. Yes the game needs quality players but no one specifically.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What is Luke Kelly got to do with anything? Now that Barba is not playing has he been replaced by 12 Kelly's? No he hasn't so that's a stupid statement. Is the NRL worse off without Barba? No it isn't. For every quality player the game loses whether through retirement, changing codes or suspension there is always more to replace him. Yes the game needs quality players but no one specifically.
Also for all the people who love watching players like Barba on the field, there will be a number of others who feel that the NRL is cheapened by the money and fame it provides to such garbage human beings. I personally fit in both camps, which is not a euphemism about my sexuality.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sure Baz, it's all down to the individual player huh... not benefiting from the game's infrastructure during their development, or benefiting from club facilities, staff, training, and systems at the top level either.

You sound like you're doing a player-manager apprenticeship... These individual freak of nature athlete-stars owe the game nothing! Nothing at all!! The game should be thankful they are even playing, and should show them the money!

So does "the importance of juniors" point toward some factor that contributes to a player becoming a star other than themself? If not, why is developing juniors important at all Baz?

Haha you're such a drama queen, lol.

Bazal

Post Whore

Of course the NRL is worse off without Barba. And Radrada. And any other star players that leave. What a silly assertion....the point is yeah, maybe one player doesn't make a difference. But fans and the NRL need to understand that the players make the game as much as, if not more than, the game makes the players. You might not think that losing star players is an issue, but the ARU felt the same way in the late nineties. Look at them now. Three sides are a joke, two are ordinary, the best player in the country is a League import via AFL and there isn't a quality half in the country.

Major fan drawcards are absolutely necessary to continue a quality competition. It's as simple as that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Barba is just an average nrl fullback.
Wouldn't be in top 10 fullbacks. He played better last season but far from dynamic. Had a great year with the dogs but never got anywhere close to that hot form. Never see him bust line anymore. Holmes will be better served at the back.

lingard

Coach
Barba is just an average nrl fullback.
Wouldn't be in top 10 fullbacks. He played better last season but far from dynamic. Had a great year with the dogs but never got anywhere close to that hot form. Never see him bust line anymore. Holmes will be better served at the back.

He's better than Moylan.

lingard

Coach
Not really a bonus when they are apparently still a considerable amount of his contract and it has cost them or set to cost players being released. Souths picked up a bonus.

Fair enough. That counts against the argument that they got rid of him purely because of his salary, then.