What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Dibs

Bench
Of course the NRL is worse off without Barba. And Radrada. And any other star players that leave. What a silly assertion....the point is yeah, maybe one player doesn't make a difference. But fans and the NRL need to understand that the players make the game as much as, if not more than, the game makes the players. You might not think that losing star players is an issue, but the ARU felt the same way in the late nineties. Look at them now. Three sides are a joke, two are ordinary, the best player in the country is a League import via AFL and there isn't a quality half in the country.

Major fan drawcards are absolutely necessary to continue a quality competition. It's as simple as that.
So will crowd numbers be down because of a loss of Barba this year? Next year as well when Semi goes? No they won't. Will the quality of football be worse? No it won't. Why not? Because there will be new players just as good to replace them. It's silly to suggest it is worse off without them. What about the negative affect they have on the game? They won't turn me off with their poor behaviour but I'm sure there is some people who are. Certainly as a group the players make the game and a well rewarded for it but no individual is bigger than the game especially not Ben Barba. The ARU is a poor example, for starters it's half the spectacle league is and their problems lie more with how they manage their juniors. It's actually as simple as without league the only way you hear of Barba is in the court report section of the newspaper.

The Colonel

Immortal
Fair enough. That counts against the argument that they got rid of him purely because of his salary, then.

They tried to get rid of him based on his salary. They tried to force him out by selecting him in on the bench and then playing him in NSW Cup. He was prepared to stay and play NSW Cup and get paid his entire salary. Any deal they tried to get to move him on they couldn't agree on who would pick up the majority of the deal. In the end Souths were prepared to take him but they got the considerably better end of the deal. In the end Farah called their bluff.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Wow. That is a massive signing. Will be a good replacement for Hoffman.

Looks like the salary cap is finally starting to bite at Melbourne, and with Bellamy's impending retirement he doesn't give a f**k.

Should have never re-signed Cooper and probably Slater.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Should have never re-signed Cooper and probably Slater.
To avoid rebuilding this would probably have been better, but they obviously feel they have enough in them to take a serious shot at another premiership before they all pull the pin. They did just play in a grand final.

Gazzamatta

Coach
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2017/02/01/club_update_on_peni_.html

The Parramatta Eels have released a statement to its Members from Chief Executive Bernie Gurr regarding Peni Terepo.

Please find that statement below.

Dear members,

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club Pty Limited has reviewed the recent incident involving Peni Terepo in the early morning of Sunday 8 January 2017 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Last Friday, Peni pleaded guilty to careless driving and refusing to give a blood alcohol test. Peni has admitted that he had been drinking.

The Club was unaware of this incident until it was reported in the New Zealand media last Friday (27 January 2017).

In the interests of fairness, we have spoken with Peni in order to hear his version of events. In addition, we have spoken with his Manager, the Rugby League Players’ Association (RLPA) and the NRL Integrity Unit.

In order to consider all elements around this incident, our Club has conducted internal discussions with our staff, including Head Coach, Brad Arthur, and other coaching & support staff; accordingly, other pertinent considerations are:

· Peni came over from New Zealand in 2009 and entered the Parramatta Eels junior development program and so the 2017 NRL season will be Peni’s 9th season with our Club. Peni is 25 years old.

· Peni has played 123 games for the Eels, 74 in the NRL and another 49 in the Junior Representative teams. Of the current senior playing squad, Peni has played the second highest number of games for our Club (behind Tim Mannah).

· During his time at our Club, Peni has not been involved in any prior unacceptable incident. This is his first offence.

· Peni has been a valuable contributor to our Club’s community activities.

· Peni is well-respected by his fellow players and the Club’s coaching & support staff.

· In our discussions, Peni has accepted total responsibility, apologised to the Club and demonstrated genuine remorse for his actions.

The Club views drink driving as an extremely serious offence. We have reiterated to Peni in very strong terms that this behaviour is totally unacceptable. The other concerning element of this incident was that Peni did not advise the Club.

The Club is of the opinion that Peni has acted in breach of his National Rugby League Playing Contract. Under the terms of the NRL Playing Contract, the Club is permitted to take action when a player is in breach of the NRL Playing Contract.

The Club has determined to take the following action:

1. Fine Peni Terepo an amount of $15,000 from his 2017 Playing Fee.

2. Suspend Peni Terepo for the following matches:

· The 2017 Auckland “9’s” tournament.

· The first three (3) 2017 NRL matches of the Club.

Peni Terepo will also not be permitted to play in the Club’s NSWRL Cup team during this period.

3. Have Peni Terepo engage in educational courses related to drink-driving.

Peni has accepted the above action by the Club.

Our Club has maintained a constructive dialogue with Peni’s manager, the NRL Integrity Unit and the RLPA during this process.

Bernie Gurr

Chief Executive Officer

I really do like the way Bernie is handling issues and communicating. Unfortunately hes probably already being watched closely for a gig in the NRL hierarchy given their apparent lack of talent. Maybe Burnie needs to stuff up but then again that didnt stop them anointing Todd lord and master. Hang in Burnie. We need ya mate.

I really do like the way Bernie is handling issues and communicating. Unfortunately hes probably already being watched closely for a gig in the NRL hierarchy given their apparent lack of talent. Maybe Burnie needs to stuff up but then again that didnt stop them anointing Todd lord and master. Hang in Burnie. We need ya mate.
Todd may be an amoral fraud but he's not stupid and he's not without power. I doubt he'd want to bring someone as credentialed as Bernie on board.

Chipmunk

Coach
He didn't get away lightly, but I think its fair.

The standard has been set now.

Great leadership from Bernie

#feelthebern

To be honest I think he was a snow balls chance of being picked in the NRL team in the first three rounds anyway.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
That's certainly what I was hoping.

Well seeing Gaz got such a giggle out of it, he is probably the best person to shed some light on the subject.

But please, lets hope that El Dicko doesn't post any pictures, they'll probably be of him having his wacker licked by his pet cockapoo on a plane.

lingard

Coach
Well....If i was picking id rather all of these guys personally
Boyd,Dugan,Hayne,Wighton,RTS,Moylan, Tedesco, turbo tom, Inglis, Munster, Slater.

Id put him on par with Coote thou if it was for our club id chose Coote ahead.

At this stage he is better then

Hoppa, French, Gagai, Gordon,latrel mitchel.

And of course there is Holmes and Ponga lolohea and DWZ morris who i wont consider thou would make good fullbacks

I agree with Boyd, Hayne, Tedesco, Wighton and Munster (in the storm system). Dugan is erratic and injury-prone; Inglis is way over-rated at this stage of his career; Slater isn't even playing yet; Turbo Tom is relatively unproven, and we all know Moylan is useless. So I put Barba in the top ten easily.

Gronk

Staff member
Now I don't know much about rugby (except that I don't like it much), so can anyone tell me what position Barba is most suited to? He just doesn't strike me as a rugby player.

I'd say he'd be an impact benchy. They have no interchange, so he'd play the last 10 or 15 mins against tired fat blokes. If he gets a game at all. The Toulon guy has a history of just warehousing players.