What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Yep. I have a feeling Moses could be perfect for us. Or he could be too expensive and we won't be able to get him and Norman both enough ball to justify their combined price.
Graheme is dusted. Dont wa t his old and way past best. Our club is where it is cause we sign old has beens.

Reynolds at the right price would be an ok pick up imo. I reckon him and corey in halves would be ok. Reynolds isnt the most skillful half but he cops it and is a scapegoat. He is better then given credit and tough.

Josh Reynolds is EXACTLY the half we don't need. Not a good organiser, erratic and riddled with mistakes. We need someone like Townsend, Adam Reynolds, etc.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he can become a good footballer, but I don't think he has the natural talents to be a legitimate halfback option. Obviously when you play with Gutherson in the 6 you are only playing with one legitimate half. That's not to say we can't be successful that way, but I think we limit our options.

I agree with a lot of what you say.

But I'm confident he can become a viable option at 6 with time, and he'd give us better value.

Chipmunk

Coach
1. Bird
2. Moses
3. Blake Austin
4. Chad Townsend
5. Tyrone Roberts
6. Josh Reynolds

In this order is my hit list for 5/8ths to pursue. Would take Ash Taylor before any of them but that horse has bolted.

Why is Blake Austin any more available than Ash Taylor?

lingard

Coach
I'm probably on my Pat Malone here, but I genuinely think we can manufacture Gutherson into a good 5/8.

He already has ticker. He has great defence. He has a dangerous running game.

I believe he is suffering from the coach trying to protect him; he hardly got an opportunity to shine yesterday.

I believe the way forward is to take the brakes off Clint, and give him the licence to play what he sees.

Clint reminds me of Cronk, only more athletic; he will work on his game until he makes it.

I honestly think he will make a good 5/8, if we stop putting it all on Norman's shoulders.

But I think my opinion would be few and far between...

I don't agree with you (it will be great if I'm wrong, though). I do think that Gutherson's stint at five-eight will make him an even better centre, though - much like Jamie Lyon's stints at five-eight improved him as a centre (in my opinion).

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't agree with you (it will be great if I'm wrong, though). I do think that Gutherson's stint at five-eight will make him an even better centre, though - much like Jamie Lyon's stints at five-eight improved him as a centre (in my opinion).

I figured I'd be on my own.

I think he's worth persisting with, and I believe he'd benefit from having the coach stop protecting him.

Last night was painful, because it was clear as day that the plan was for Norman to do 90% of the playmaking, and the Sharks figured that out quickly.

Let Gutherson play what's in front of him.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm probably on my Pat Malone here, but I genuinely think we can manufacture Gutherson into a good 5/8.

He already has ticker. He has great defence. He has a dangerous running game.

I believe he is suffering from the coach trying to protect him; he hardly got an opportunity to shine yesterday.

I believe the way forward is to take the brakes off Clint, and give him the licence to play what he sees.

Clint reminds me of Cronk, only more athletic; he will work on his game until he makes it.

I honestly think he will make a good 5/8, if we stop putting it all on Norman's shoulders.

But I think my opinion would be few and far between...

He'll only ever be at best a 6 as good as Josh Reynolds. If we're happy with that well I guess we're happy with that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He'll only ever be at best a 6 as good as Josh Reynolds. If we're happy with that well I guess we're happy with that.

Reynolds has played 4 games for NSW, won 50% of the games he's played...

I think Gutherson will be better, anyway.

I remember how awful Lockyer was in his first season at 6...

I'm confident Guth will improve by season's end.

Chipmunk

Coach
Reynolds has played 4 games for NSW, won 50% of the games he's played...

I think Gutherson will be better, anyway.

I remember how awful Lockyer was in his first season at 6...

I'm confident Guth will improve by season's end.

Would you swap Gutherson for Reynolds?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I figured I'd be on my own.

I think he's worth persisting with, and I believe he'd benefit from having the coach stop protecting him.

Last night was painful, because it was clear as day that the plan was for Norman to do 90% of the playmaking, and the Sharks figured that out quickly.

Let Gutherson play what's in front of him.

I think he has potential but unless he gets a kicking game he won't be long term solution there. He defence and running game is pretty good and his play making will improve with time. But its his kicking game that is the worry. He deserves some more time.

Also last night he made a nice break.

And really his ability wasn't a problem in the first two weeks when we held the ball and completed our sets, it's not like he has had the chance to do much in the last two games.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Should've signed Sam Williams or someone similar if we really do have plenty of money still available.

No way!! While Williams may have some better playing making skills his defence is no where near Guthersons. He was targeted last night by the sharks forwards and pretty much was up to it all night. No way Williams stops those forwards like Gutherson did last night.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Regarding other options for the halves, would we be better in "carrying" Dargan for a year or two ? He seem to do ok in his game time in the trials and while he isn't the best option it does give us a shit load of cash to strength other positions.

Signing another top line half for probably around $750 k is a big risk when we could probably afford to add two very good quality non-spine players to our top 17.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not sure it has been mentioned but the SMH reported in today's paper we have offered Kyle Feldt a 3 year deal.

Latest posts