What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Capital

Juniors
Great kick Widdop..that's 4 tries he has set up today.
How are you going with that grammar Smarty? Remember I have "charged" you with proving your English grammar is superior to an average 7 year-old before posting.

Anyway, today Widdop has been ok. Tigers defence absolutely shocking. I haven't changed my opinion one iota and against the better teams, other than perhaps the worst team in the comp.

The best thing I have seen Widdop do today was at about 34:30 of the first half. Take the ball to the line in both hands. He did it once and kicked but before he kicked, Tigers defence couldn't move up and tackle him. No surprise none of your noticed it. So far this season I have seen him do it twice. A massive improvement but still not even close to enough.

Sorry. Just my opinion and the opinion of the club. Having said that, don't forget about the grammar before replying to this.

rhino2009

Juniors
If Hunt is willing to become the organiser, Field or Mann are our best option for the 6 jumper because;
Both have more speed.
Both run to the line.
Both are more elusive.
Both are an economical option leaving funds available to sign a fullback.

Rumour in UK that Widdop might be playing in ESL in 2018, might this happen?

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop masterclass seals Dragons third straight win

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

2 Apr 2017, 7 p.m.

A first-half hat-trick to evergreen winger Jason Nightingale spurred St George Illawarra to a 28-6 victory over Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, but there’s no doubt the Dragons third straight win was the Gareth Widdop show.

The 28-year-old laid on three tries and played a key hand in a fourth in a play-making masterclass, looking every bit the dominant half he left Melbourne three years ago to become.

He also slotted three goals to remain the league’s leading point-scorer, a distinction his side also holds after five rounds with the best differential in the competition.

r0_155_3000_1843_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

They now sit second on the ladder, behind only undefeated Melbourne, ahead of what’s shaping as an unexpected blockbuster against a resurgent Manly at Brookvale this Saturday.

“I’m comfortable in the role I have to play in this team,” Widdop said.

“I keep saying the forwards are laying a good platform for us and as halves it’s just about playing what you see and I suppose [having] a bit freedom to roam the field. I’m enjoying it and it’s working well for us.

“When you’ve got good go-forward it makes it easier for the backs, for me Josh (McCrone), Duges (Josh Dugan) and we can still improve which is a good sign.

“I’ve got a good bunch of blokes beside me who make it a lot easier. Everyone’s contributing really well at the moment and it’s about consistency and doing it every week, that’s what we’re trying to build out game on.”

It’s the Dragons longest winning streak since round nine 2015, but the win was tempered by what looked like a significant hamstring injury to Dugan, who was left clutching at his leg after scrambling to clean up a grubber kick in the Dragons in-goal in the 58th minute. He will undergo scans on Monday but coach Paul McGregor is resigned to being without his star No. 1 for the clash with Manly.

“I don’t know how bad it is but he felt it straight away,” McGregor said.

“We’ll just have to gauge that [on Monday] through a scan but he won’t be right next week. He’s in ice in there and he’s in good spirits but it’s obviously disappointing.

“Losing quality players always hurts but there’s some handy players in our squad so we’ll make a replacement there. Obviously Josh Dugan’s Josh Dugan, there aren’t too many players like him around so he’ll be missed.”

Kurt Mann shifted from centre to fullback in the Tigers victory and would be the early front-runner to replace Dugan while rookies Jai Field and Matt Dufty will come into calculations.

The loss leaves the Tigers languishing at the bottom of the ladder and Ivan Cleary’s looming arrival seemingly can’t come quick enough, though it remains to be seen if the former Penrith and Warriors mentor can produce a quick turnaround in fortunes.

Nightingale had his treble by halftime, two courtesy of Widdop, who provided a deft floating kick for his second and a three-man cut-out pass for his third that twice left opposing winger David Nofoaluma in no man’s land.

Dugan’s departure midway through the half did little to slow the Dragons up with Widdop threading through the pinpoint grubber for Tim Lafai to score in the 58th minute to take an unassailable 20-6 lead before Nene McDonald’s late four-pointer put the stamp the on the victory.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ass-seals-dragons-third-straight-win/?cs=3713

P.S JUST FOR YOU VAS...would you like a box of tissues to go with this.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Rein, oh and our forward stocks have vastly improved. Not a Marketo in sight.

This is a silly comment.

The Dragons' improved form can be put down to a number of areas: 1. playing either mediocre or teams not at their optimum 2. no B. Marshall at halfback, which was never his position 3. Widdop slowly gaining form due to the above point and 4. forwards such as Vaugan playing out of their skins at the moment.

If you really believe Marketo has been an issue in the past, you have NFI.

loveoursaints

Juniors
Versus west tiger's eve
Widdop masterclass seals Dragons third straight win

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

2 Apr 2017, 7 p.m.

A first-half hat-trick to evergreen winger Jason Nightingale spurred St George Illawarra to a 28-6 victory over Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, but there’s no doubt the Dragons third straight win was the Gareth Widdop show.

The 28-year-old laid on three tries and played a key hand in a fourth in a play-making masterclass, looking every bit the dominant half he left Melbourne three years ago to become.

He also slotted three goals to remain the league’s leading point-scorer, a distinction his side also holds after five rounds with the best differential in the competition.

r0_155_3000_1843_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

They now sit second on the ladder, behind only undefeated Melbourne, ahead of what’s shaping as an unexpected blockbuster against a resurgent Manly at Brookvale this Saturday.

“I’m comfortable in the role I have to play in this team,” Widdop said.

“I keep saying the forwards are laying a good platform for us and as halves it’s just about playing what you see and I suppose [having] a bit freedom to roam the field. I’m enjoying it and it’s working well for us.

“When you’ve got good go-forward it makes it easier for the backs, for me Josh (McCrone), Duges (Josh Dugan) and we can still improve which is a good sign.

“I’ve got a good bunch of blokes beside me who make it a lot easier. Everyone’s contributing really well at the moment and it’s about consistency and doing it every week, that’s what we’re trying to build out game on.”

It’s the Dragons longest winning streak since round nine 2015, but the win was tempered by what looked like a significant hamstring injury to Dugan, who was left clutching at his leg after scrambling to clean up a grubber kick in the Dragons in-goal in the 58th minute. He will undergo scans on Monday but coach Paul McGregor is resigned to being without his star No. 1 for the clash with Manly.

“I don’t know how bad it is but he felt it straight away,” McGregor said.

“We’ll just have to gauge that [on Monday] through a scan but he won’t be right next week. He’s in ice in there and he’s in good spirits but it’s obviously disappointing.

“Losing quality players always hurts but there’s some handy players in our squad so we’ll make a replacement there. Obviously Josh Dugan’s Josh Dugan, there aren’t too many players like him around so he’ll be missed.”

Kurt Mann shifted from centre to fullback in the Tigers victory and would be the early front-runner to replace Dugan while rookies Jai Field and Matt Dufty will come into calculations.

The loss leaves the Tigers languishing at the bottom of the ladder and Ivan Cleary’s looming arrival seemingly can’t come quick enough, though it remains to be seen if the former Penrith and Warriors mentor can produce a quick turnaround in fortunes.

Nightingale had his treble by halftime, two courtesy of Widdop, who provided a deft floating kick for his second and a three-man cut-out pass for his third that twice left opposing winger David Nofoaluma in no man’s land.

Dugan’s departure midway through the half did little to slow the Dragons up with Widdop threading through the pinpoint grubber for Tim Lafai to score in the 58th minute to take an unassailable 20-6 lead before Nene McDonald’s late four-pointer put the stamp the on the victory.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ass-seals-dragons-third-straight-win/?cs=3713

P.S JUST FOR YOU VAS...would you like a box of tissues to go with this.
Versus tiger's even my 7 yr old could have a blinder ffs. Jury is out.