What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Do you mean if he had match payments in both contract years or irregardless? And how do you know this?

The bit in bold at the end:

"The Salary Cap for 2015 is $6.1m for the 25 highest remunerated players at each club. All other players that play NRL in the current year must fit under a $460,000 Salary Cap.

For players in the Top 25 Salary Cap or 2nd Tier Salary Cap, the Salary Cap value for a player each year is broken down into the following categories:

-Playing Fee – fully included in the Salary Cap.

-Included benefits – all benefits provided to players including accommodation, travel, motor vehicles, interest free loans and manager's fees and any applicable fringe benefits tax.

-Win bonuses and appearance fees – Payments for appearing in or winning a game are calculated based on the number of NRL games the player played in the prior year multiplied by any applicable bonuses. For win bonuses, the calculation is capped at 13 wins. Example: A player appeared in 10 NRL games in 2015 and now has a 2016 Contract for $100,000 contract fee plus $1,000 per game. His - Salary Cap Value would be $100,000 plus 10 times $1000 = $110,000.

-Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance.

Example: A player played State of Origin in 2015. His 2016 Contract includes a $20,000 State of Origin bonus. This bonus will be included in the player's 2016 Salary Cap Value.

Note: Where a bonus is achieved by a player but was not assessed in the player's Salary Cap Value, the bonus is carried forward and calculated in the player's Salary Cap Value for the following year."

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Taken literally, it applies regardless of the structure of the 2nd year of the deal.

Gronk

Staff member
^^^ f**king pay-walled.

giphy.gif

Agent0

Juniors
That's the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard and there's no chance any player would take up such a contract.
'That's the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard' . . . Maybe.
'No player would ever take up such a contract' . . . Wrong. They exist and are current.

Forty20

First Grade
^^^ f**king pay-walled.

giphy.gif

Pfft, you no Google News using pleb.

Crawley Files: Leadership needed over NRL transfer market fiasco
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
May 18, 2017 10:25am
Subscriber only

SO Mitchell Moses will have his first game for Parramatta on Saturday and already we’ve moved on.

On the same day the Wests Tigers soap opera was finally put to bed a new drama emerged at South Sydney.

Apparently, Cody Walker is upset the Rabbitohs have offered Dane Gagai a three-year deal worth around $2 million to quit Newcastle.

I totally understand what Walker is on about. Imagine if you found out your company wanted to bring in a new person to do your job and pay them three times as much?

You’d be filthy.

But apparently NRL players aren’t allowed to get filthy because they are “professionals”.

Not since Super League have players been hung out to dry as badly as this year because of the transfer market fiasco.

It is time for one of those highly-paid suits at the NRL to stand up and fix the problem.

Give direction. Show leadership.

Stop allowing players to be used up by a system that seems specifically designed to destroy any semblance of loyalty that remains in the game today.

2432c76bba0e8b345ae2c8b6d28e10b8

Artwork: Scott ‘Boo’ Bailey
Critics say these players are highly paid and it is their responsibility to go out and play to the best of their ability regardless of turmoil behind the scenes.

Get real. Moses is 22, for goodness sake.

Everyone wonders why he played like a busted against Souths last Friday night.

Ivan Cleary came out and recognised the transfer market was having an impact on players.

Let’s not forget the Tigers’ part in this.

Moses had an offer on the table, then it was taken away the moment Luke Brooks committed to his new deal.

It was Cleary who decided to make re-signing James Tedesco and Aaron Woods his priority.

Of course, Cleary then signed Josh Reynolds for huge money but still missed out on Tedesco and Woods. So the fans booed the players.

Cleary then said Moses wouldn’t be released. Then he said he would.

Then Cleary played no talkies before last week’s performance obviously forced his hand.

cf7b596117922bcbf1ef318fb43e3a62

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary.
People will say Cleary and the Tigers were within their rights.

But Moses should have honoured his deal for this year?

Talk about double standards. This is across the game.

What everyone seems to forget, or conveniently ignore, is that NRL players are also human, and often it is the youngest and least experienced who struggle most.

Peter Sterling suggested Moses came across as though he was sulking.

“Once you cross that white line you’re a first grade player,” Sterling said.

“And your reputation is on the line and he dented it last week.”

Which is fair enough in theory, but is it reality?

Players are open to public scrutiny every waking moment of their lives. Not just in the mainstream press.

When Sterlo played in the 1980s, only two games a week were on TV, and there were no mobile phones or social media.

Now every game is live, every player’s stats are live.

As well as all the free-to-air games and panel shows, the NRL now has its own dedicated channel full of shows like Sterlo On The Couch that dissect every player’s performance and personality hour after hour.

In the 80s, Rex Mossop’s Sunday show was it.

Today fans will know before a player if his partner is up to no good. Even if she isn’t, that doesn’t stop speculation becoming public, as we have seen.

2732e550d52910e8e12c066b13b7f7ed

Cody Walker in action for the Rabbitohs.
Last weekend Brooks was out with his brother and a fight allegedly started through no fault of the Tigers halfback.

Again, that didn’t stop the moment being filmed and run as lead story on the national Sunday evening news.

It even got priority over Donald Trump v Kim Jong-un.

And we wonder why players are struggling to cope, why there is a growing use of illicit drugs?

Coaches tell you a team only has to be a bit off on any given day and it will have a significant impact on their performance.

You see clubs like Canberra and Penrith struggling this year because of weight of expectation.

This transfer market circus is affecting so many players, even if we don’t realise how much in respect to individuals who aren’t even having their contracts played out in the headlines.

Only the NRL can fix this.

No one is saying it should have a plan right now but by the start of next season it should.

It is no use continuing to ignore the problem. The NRL needs to work with the coaches, the players’ association, the clubs and agents to come up with a best solution. It is never going to please everyone, never going to be perfect, but can’t the game do better than this?

For someone to stand up and say: “We are going to do it because we want to protect the players, the fans, and the clubs.”

If you are running any business with problems it is up to the people in charge to come up with answers. Otherwise, you get someone else to do the job, or that company dies.

That’s how it works everywhere bar the NRL, it seems.

Clicky

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Another ex Manly dud boned:
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2017/05/18/eels_release_james_h.html

That makes Watmough, Foran, Lussick and now Hasson.

Gutherson and Gower are the only two that have worked out. Plenty of money wasted BA. Time to start looking elsewhere.

Hasson was here on minimum wage. He did what was needed from him and that was to be strong at Wenty. He was our best forward there at times last year.

With Hasson and Twal not here next year looks like we'll have to pick up a back-up prop and we're probably looking at promoting Ray Stone.

Delboy

First Grade
What an amazing article, the media calling for NRL leadership with Greenberg in control. The old line that doing the same thing and expecting a different answer is stupidity. Greenberg epitomises that, completely the wrong person in control of the game.

Until he controls TPAs, the Broncos and the usual suspects paying unders for players - expect nothing as that is what you will get

hindy111

Post Whore
Hasson was here on minimum wage. He did what was needed from him and that was to be strong at Wenty. He was our best forward there at times last year.

With Hasson and Twal not here next year looks like we'll have to pick up a back-up prop and we're probably looking at promoting Ray Stone.
Pauli pauli

Big noters like me must have style. Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and Omega Speedmaster. Next on the list is either a IWC Portuguese or Rolex Daytona. I like the Rolex Milgauss but waiting until it is produced in a 42 mm case.

Haha i knew you'd have a bit of style, ive a speedy too but dont wear it much, i can imagine you in a daytona lol, been a dive watch collector since i was a teen, in no particular order some of the brands i own and collect.

Doxa, huge Doxa fan, fav is the 5000t, got one on at this moment and have a few different limited editions.
Aquadive
Helson
Rolex - sub but will be flipping it for a deepsea dweller one day
Seiko/Grand Seiko - Tunas, marine masters, sumo, turtles, shogun, samuari's (jap divers are the best real deal ISO divers on the market, pound for pound they smash Swiss divers out of the park) massive seiko diver fan here.
Citizen - auto and ecozillas, orcas ( citizen also make outstanding jap tool divers although they dont have the cult following Seiko does )
Omega - Ploprof
Zodiac - sea wolfs generally
Squale

Last edited:
It makes sense but I personally think his a must.

Unless we go after Lichaa?

We know what we are gonna get with Peats his leadership in defence and his line speed is awesome and is a huge reason why I feel our defence is far off from that of last year's.

His a risk no doubt injuries have plagued him, but for what the market offers I really think he would be a great acquisition. His service at times isn't great but we have all seen the difference his made to the Titans since returning, if there were other options available I wouldn't be so pushy on getting him but there isn't much and he has all the qualities to be a SoO hooker, injuries are his issue. No questioning his ability. His pricing is an issue but personally I think we are desperate for another hooker so I would give him the 500.

Lichaa is absolute dog shit.

Latest posts