What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Titans @ Campbelltown Stadium

Who will win? Round 16: Wests Tigers v Titans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vozzy

Juniors
I feel sorry for Reynolds he is already playing in a team going backwards to a team who can't go further back.

Bulldogs have like a massive pack but are getting steam rolled every week. Reynolds has to try on his own. He is going from partnering Mbye to Brooks.

I hope he does wonders for us just in the enthusiasm department alone.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tonight was genuinely depressing. We tried but we were so bad, like so so so bad. It's hard cause I know it's not going to be get any better this year. In a way I preferred watching earlier in the year when we weren't trying.

Literally nothing is going out way atm. Every call goes against us, every bouncing ball bounces straight into opposition hands, every injured player comes back against us. We seriously can't get a break.

We will get the spoon this year but really it doesn't bother me. 15th or 16th who cares it was a terrible year. The only positive is that at least we won't be going through another 3-4 year rebuild. I am happy with the squad we are assembling next year and believe it will be a totally new club come round 1 2018.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, I know it's easy to pick at Brooks, but let's look at a few things.

He was continually and consistently abandoned out there. No option runners, just 1 uncommitted decoy which has no impact on the defensive line. Brooks is missing Lawrence. The centres need to come roving in field a little more looking to hit an inside line.

Our kick chase was abysmal.

It makes life insanely hard for the halfback to have much effect when:
*Forwards can't give him space
*Back rowers won't run as options (to try and make the defence slide more slowly, which is how you create overlaps easiest)
*Kick chase is poor, makes it hard to turn a good kick into a great one if the kick returner gets grassed 30 or 40 metres from his own line.
*Sliding defence is not committed. Means we can't play a structure game as much as we need to, because we are constantly chasing points.

Cleary is in a shit spot. He's got a side, many of whom won't be coached by him at all, or for much of next year. There's no depth.

However, he had a perfect opportunity tonight to give Lolohea a run at fullback, given that's where he is suspected to be next year.

I honestly don't think Lolohea will be in the spine much next year, he's just not smart enough. His passing game is actually quite weak, especially left to right.

Lovett has oddly enough, gone backwards. After 65 mins tonight, he made 5 runs for 20 metres. Sure he made 30 tackles in that time, but we had the ball at least 25 times. That's one run every 5 sets.

That is beyond pathetic. That is the sort of stat that indicates just who wasn't trying enough.

Naiqama was f**king hopeless tonight, which was disappointing to see as he did play very well in the last game. He's clearly just a winger. Lolohea needs time at fullback and we may as well get that started now. Put McIlwrick or Liddle at 6 or 7 and the other at hooker. Put 4 forwards on the bench.

Our forwards need all the help they can get. We cannot afford to carry a spare hooker on the bench when our forwards are getting pumped all the time, every week.

The majority of the comments re the game can be summed up with:

Let's face it, they are not a 1st grade squad.

However, haven't the majority of posters being saying that now for a number of weeks now?

It is what it is and I don't know but perhaps the entire coaching staff needs to take same discredit? How many have been there since the 1st day of training last November?

My take on some guys last night,

1. Naiqama - He tried, he attempted to get in and lift the team, unfortunately the non 1st grader type mistakes are what he will be remembered for.

2. Nofo - Poor reader of his role in defence.

3. Marsters - Tried but it's his 2nd game so will reserve judgement.

4. Suli - Looks lost

5. DWZ - Now I know why he played 1 game in 1st grade as a Panther

6. Lolohea - Just like the guy he replaced, no kicking game and can pass to the touch judge. But to be fair, he's been there for how long and played behind a reserve grade pack.

7. Brooks - More rocks than diamonds but again, how good could he be behind a 1st grade pack. Was he made to look bad last night because of the reserve grade pack ? the timing of his backs running off him? His slipping on the dewy service? His kicks? Oh wait, aren't they the things you see from a reserve grader?

8. Woods - Who cares but IMO he did well last night.

9. Liddle - At least he puts his body on the line.

10. Ava - Who cares!

11. Sue - Looked bigger last night with the new 'hat' until I realised who it was. Interesting that Andrew Johns said he would be good at a club like Melbourne. Maybe he'd be good at a club like West Tigers with some bigger guys around him.

12. Lovett - Reserve Grader - correct

13. ET - Solid First Grader

14. Eisenhuth - Based on his size, love to see him as that tall wide running backrower but again, he was a reserve grader until last weekend who was given a go.

15. Felise - Reserve Grader

16. Chee-Kam - Reserve Grader

17. MM - Reserve Grader

Vozzy

Juniors
No more Chee-kam the blokes first hit up was off a tap from a penalty and he gained 1 Metre Nd the defense was 10m away. No more backs and second hookers on bench. We had 2 forwards on the bench and they were both back rowers. Hopefully we can have grant and Twal start next week.

Front-Rower

First Grade
This season is dead and has been since Taylor got sacked. 2018, when the new recruits arrive, will be the start of an era where we can judge the club, the coach and the results.

Clifferd

Coach
I remember I couldn't wait to get home after work on a Friday to watch us play. That is long gone now

I honestly can't bring myself to watch us play anymore

I turned my tv straight off after that MWZ try was disallowed as I just knew nothing would go our way

Before that Titans knocked on off a bomb but it was considered a knock on against us

Thank f**k I turned it off as we ended up getting pounded into oblivion

I'll find something better to do next weekend aswell

This is coming from a 10+ year paying member who's attended a fair share of games this year, and even though this seasons fate was sealed it's just impossible for me to support a bunch of reserve graders and blokes that won't even be here next year. So I'll probably just be checking the score and hanging around here every now and then

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach
Turning point ? Kylie Lovesit being in 1st grade

12. Lovett (62 minutes) - 20 metres in attack, 32 tackles, 1 missed tackle

20 metres

Any competent backrower would run those metres in less than 5 minutes of game time

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
We had all the momentum , he dropped the ball on our first set after scoring and they marched down field to score . After we kicked off to them he was penalised for a high shot and they march down field to score again.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I've just looked at our draw. We've lost 7 straight and I reckon we'll lose the next 7 too. Unless we play against a team who has a massive injury crisis the only games I give us a chance in are our round 25 (cowboys at campbelltown) and round 26 (warriors at leichhardt)

Clifferd

Coach
I've just looked at our draw. We've lost 7 straight and I reckon we'll lose the next 7 too. Unless we play against a team who has a massive injury crisis the only games I give us a chance in are our round 25 (cowboys at campbelltown) and round 26 (warriors at leichhardt)

Sadly it's not what we need heading into next year aswell.

Of the remaining players fhat will be here next year its severely discouraging & we desperately need some solid wins near the end of the season to instil some confidence in these kids

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Brooks and Lolohea were abysmal it was bordering on comical. Pascoe et al were speaking to Benji recently about coming in even with Lolo to try salvage something from this season. I don't want our best ever to sully his legacy amongst this rabble.

It really is a disaster. Our team is bordering on as bad as it was back in 03. I think we will lose to the Knights next week and lose bad.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There are still major diffencies on defence... They are incapable of defending their line for two sets in a row...players still panicking out wide and rushing up out of the line...

With the ball in hand, they seem clueless... No planning... LoLo trying to ad lib, and even Marsters putting in late kicks a couple of times... The team has no idea what to do on the last tackle... Brooks is often out of position to receive the ball on the last...

Yes, they have a lot of below NRL players in that team, however so do Newcastle who seem much better organised and play with a lot more desire..

Tiger05

First Grade
I remember I couldn't wait to get home after work on a Friday to watch us play. That is long gone now

I honestly can't bring myself to watch us play anymore

I turned my tv straight off after that MWZ try was disallowed as I just knew nothing would go our way

Before that Titans knocked on off a bomb but it was considered a knock on against us

Thank f**k I turned it off as we ended up getting pounded into oblivion

I'll find something better to do next weekend aswell

This is coming from a 10+ year paying member who's attended a fair share of games this year, and even though this seasons fate was sealed it's just impossible for me to support a bunch of reserve graders and blokes that won't even be here next year. So I'll probably just be checking the score and hanging around here every now and then

Everything goes against us doesn't it. We are an ordinary side though. So many players shouldn't be in first grade. I also think Cleary has to pick a better pack than what we have at the moment. Lovett & MCK shouldn't be in the team at all even with the injuries that we have.

Tiger05

First Grade
We had all the momentum , he dropped the ball on our first set after scoring and they marched down field to score . After we kicked off to them he was penalised for a high shot and they march down field to score again.

I've never seen a player make so many critical mistakes. Sometimes it's close to not being his fault or it's a rough call but you can't consistently be the one who is making critical mistakes.

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks and Lolohea were abysmal it was bordering on comical. Pascoe et al were speaking to Benji recently about coming in even with Lolo to try salvage something from this season. I don't want our best ever to sully his legacy amongst this rabble.

It really is a disaster. Our team is bordering on as bad as it was back in 03. I think we will lose to the Knights next week and lose bad.

Our halves are terrible. Moses last year had some good moments. Brooks really has looked ordinary for a long long time. I'd keep them in those positions for the rest of the season though. Next season is a different story. I can see these two being in reserve grade next year.

Clifferd

Coach
Everything goes against us doesn't it. We are an ordinary side though. So many players shouldn't be in first grade. I also think Cleary has to pick a better pack than what we have at the moment. Lovett & MCK shouldn't be in the team at all even with the injuries that we have.

I honestly think it has something to do with salary cap restraints.

Hopefully Aloiai and Lawrence back next week which means Bye bye Chee Kam and Lovett

Chee Kam really is average the more I see of him, depth player at best

Clifferd

Coach
Luke Brooks is literally abysmal. Granted out forward pack do him no favours, but hitting short balls to back rowers on the last? Save me...

Could be wrong, but maybe he has no confidence on his short kicking game so he'd rather surrender a tackle than go for repeat set and end up a with a 7 tackle set

Either way I really hope he practices his kicking game enormously