What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
i'm sure he'd take a pay cut like every other Bronco does

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/175f93c224025a43432c0710f9771097

Gold Coast Titans preparing three-year deal for Ashley Taylor worth $3 million
TRAVIS MEYN - Exclusive, The Courier-Mail
July 28, 2017 9:07am

THE Gold Coast Titans are formulating a $3 million package to stave off poaching bids for in-demand halfback Ashley Taylor, who has emerged as the NRL’s hottest playmaking talent.

Taylor is certain to become the code’s next million-dollar player after already attracting interest from five NRL rivals, including former club Brisbane, despite being contracted to the Titans until the end of next season.

He joins the Broncos’ Anthony Milford and the Cowboys’ Jason Taumalolo as players set to become million-dollar men, an exclusive club of which the Storm’s Cameron Smith is already a member.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Titans are preparing a three-year extension for Taylor in the hope of warding off rivals before the Queensland Origin hopeful becomes a free agent for 2019 on November 1 this year.

If Taylor pledges his allegiance to the Titans on a deal averaging $1 million-a-season, he will be tied up at the Gold Coast until at least 2021.

Taylor, 22, is leading the NRL for try-assists (24) this season, backing up his heroics from last year when he was crowned the Dally M rookie-of-the-year.

With NSW Origin stars Nathan Peats (2020) and Jarryd Hayne (2018) locked up, Titans COO Tony Mestrov said the club had shifted its focus to retaining Taylor.

“He is definitely a priority for the club,” he said.

“We believe he is a player that can transition the side into a top four team.

“He was a shadow for the Queensland side this year and we think he will play State of Origin in the future.

“He is a priority to keep.”

If the Titans want to secure Taylor they will have to get moving.

While NRL rules prevent players from signing with a rival before November 1, Taylor has already generated significant interest from cashed-up clubs desperate to land a quality shot-caller.

The Titans have held initial discussions with Taylor’s new management group, Black Money Enterprises, but are yet to make a submission.

“No formal offers have come through,” Taylor’s manager Warrick Wright said.

“A player like Ash has attracted enormous interest from other clubs but we haven’t gone down that path yet. We are happy to talk to the Titans.

“We will see what happens over the next couple of weeks.”

Clouding the Taylor situation is five-eighth Tyrone Roberts’ public pay dispute with the Titans.

Roberts rejected a two-year extension worth $600,000 and claimed the club had “stuffed him around”.

The halves are incredibly close and Taylor revealed in March that Roberts’ future would play a role in his decision.

Kane Elgey was coach Neil Henry’s first-choice No. 6 but Taylor and Roberts piloted the Titans into last year’s finals series and have won three of four games alongside each other this season.
Thought you couldn't speak to anyone till the offseason????

Bronco's not playing by the rules??? Well I never.......

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What idea was that Wayne? Send him off to the titans for a couple of years to develop on the condition that he comes skipping back when Bennett blows his whistle?
The arrogance is astounding, but we really shouldn't be suprised they have been playing by their own set of rules since 1988.

TheRam

Coach
I just read this on the Daily Telegraph site. It is very well expressed and heart felt by another betrayed NRL supporter. How long do you all think it will be before it is to late for RL. Like I said the other day, there is a tipping point, once you reach it there will be no return.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b97925e83d2edff384b86d9191444f84

Israel Jun 28, 2017
What about the 8,000 that showed up at Belmore a few weeks back, or the 6,000 that attended Campbelltown, or the 10,000 that attended Kogarah this past weekend?

Suburban grounds are not the answer. Improving the game day experience and providing value for money is. Furthermore, Thursday night blockbuster will not attract a crowd, neither will a Friday 6pm game. I went to my first AFL game last weekend, and I can honestly say the atmosphere, the very family friendly atmosphere, was beyond any NRL level Rugby League game I've ever attended. It was an event. DJs, competitions, jumping castles, activities, families and it was full of life. Not dead like a league game. I loved it, despite the fact I absolutely hate AFL. They're doing it right. They're also engaging our kids. I know too many kids who are mad Swans or GWS fans because they visited the schools and gave them some merchandise and tickets to a game. Kids who have no interest in league, yet live in the middle of league heartland, because the Swans spent 20 minutes at their school. What are we supposed to do? Convince them AFL sucks? Not allow them to kick the Sherrin around with their friends at the park that's just recently been transformed into an AFL field. The same park I grew up playing rugby league in. Their school integrated AFL posts into the playground. No rugby posts.

My biggest worry is for the future of the game. The present is bad enough. Fans are disillusioned. I'm a paid up member, yet haven't used my membership once this year. Why would i? The best games are Thursday night and Sunday 6pm. I can't attend even if I wanted to. But I don't. Not anymore. I've had enough with the NRL taking fans for a ride. I've had enough of coughin up $180 for an NRL jersey. AFL ones are $80. And soccer $90. Do the sleeves on a shirt really justify an extra $90?

But what about the kids? How will the game look like on 10 years time? In 20 years time if we lose the young generations? Kids are not playing league anymore. The NRL fed us some fake figures last year about increasing participation, and finally conceded that participation rates have actually dropped off significantly. Why? Kids don't want to play, and parents won't let them. Why haven't we introduced weight/age classes across our junior system? NZ did it decades ago! Why's it so hard for us to do? Why have we been speaking about it for the past decade and done nothing? Why do we have 25,000 less adults playing the game than we did a 2-3 decade ago? Our population has increased by 4 million yet senior playing figures have actually decreased. It's not just kids who aren't playing the game!!

Back to the issue at the centre of this article. Dropping a Sydney club won't make crowds better. It'll disillusion a fan base and we'all lose fans. What makes Buzz believe that eliminating a team will equal an increase in crowds for another? Does he really think taking the Sharks out of the Comp would mean those 14,000 fans will show up to St George games instead? Or Tigers fans would become Eels supporters? Take North Sydney as the case study, and let's never repeat that again. An entire region lost to League, and a legion of fans welcomed into the Swans grandstands. If my team is culled, I'm done. I won't support another club. I'll go back to the Tahs, or maybe even start following the AFL more closely, since I had an absolute ball at the Swans game Friday night. BTW there was 35,000 fans there, and only 6,000 at Campbelltown on the same night. The weekend before only 7,000 showed up to watch the "most famous rugby league club in the world" the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Don't forget rugby league flourished with a dozen clubs in Sydney for a century. AFL continues on doing it, despite their clubs being even closer neighbours than ours. Rather than cull clubs, we should be talking defending our core markets, and developing new ones. Perth and Adelaide both averaged 15,000 fans 20 years ago. Imagine the size of these clubs today had we supported them. They'd be established 20 year old franchises with a established fan base, and theoretically an established development system. We'd be a truly national sport, we'd probably be arguing about adding a second team in those cities to create cross town rivalries and leverage their massive supporter bases. But no, we can't even get a second team on the biggest rugby league market in the world, Brisbane.

We have the worlds best sporting product. We also have the world's worst sporting administrators. It's about time rugby league backs itself, takes calculated risks, and reaps some rewards, instead of being a reactive and static sport.

I love rugby league. I hate the NRL. Both with a passion, because I want what's best for the sport. And the NRL doesn't have the sport's best interests at heart. Heck, had I said something like this to Greenberg over Twitter, he would have blocked me, despite me only highlighting my concerns for the game, caring for the game. Oh wait, he actually did. Yes, he blocked me, because what the NRL dowa best, better than anyone in the world, is disillusion it's most passionate supporters, the ones that matter, the ones that spend their hard earned money on the game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If whom ever wrote that article wants an argument that the NRL is poorly run, then he came to the wrong place.

The AFL have done it better right from day 1.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I just read this on the Daily Telegraph site. It is very well expressed and heart felt by another betrayed NRL supporter. How long do you all think it will be before it is to late for RL. Like I said the other day, there is a tipping point, once you reach it there will be no return.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b97925e83d2edff384b86d9191444f84

Israel Jun 28, 2017
What about the 8,000 that showed up at Belmore a few weeks back, or the 6,000 that attended Campbelltown, or the 10,000 that attended Kogarah this past weekend?

Suburban grounds are not the answer. Improving the game day experience and providing value for money is. Furthermore, Thursday night blockbuster will not attract a crowd, neither will a Friday 6pm game. I went to my first AFL game last weekend, and I can honestly say the atmosphere, the very family friendly atmosphere, was beyond any NRL level Rugby League game I've ever attended. It was an event. DJs, competitions, jumping castles, activities, families and it was full of life. Not dead like a league game. I loved it, despite the fact I absolutely hate AFL. They're doing it right. They're also engaging our kids. I know too many kids who are mad Swans or GWS fans because they visited the schools and gave them some merchandise and tickets to a game. Kids who have no interest in league, yet live in the middle of league heartland, because the Swans spent 20 minutes at their school. What are we supposed to do? Convince them AFL sucks? Not allow them to kick the Sherrin around with their friends at the park that's just recently been transformed into an AFL field. The same park I grew up playing rugby league in. Their school integrated AFL posts into the playground. No rugby posts.

My biggest worry is for the future of the game. The present is bad enough. Fans are disillusioned. I'm a paid up member, yet haven't used my membership once this year. Why would i? The best games are Thursday night and Sunday 6pm. I can't attend even if I wanted to. But I don't. Not anymore. I've had enough with the NRL taking fans for a ride. I've had enough of coughin up $180 for an NRL jersey. AFL ones are $80. And soccer $90. Do the sleeves on a shirt really justify an extra $90?

But what about the kids? How will the game look like on 10 years time? In 20 years time if we lose the young generations? Kids are not playing league anymore. The NRL fed us some fake figures last year about increasing participation, and finally conceded that participation rates have actually dropped off significantly. Why? Kids don't want to play, and parents won't let them. Why haven't we introduced weight/age classes across our junior system? NZ did it decades ago! Why's it so hard for us to do? Why have we been speaking about it for the past decade and done nothing? Why do we have 25,000 less adults playing the game than we did a 2-3 decade ago? Our population has increased by 4 million yet senior playing figures have actually decreased. It's not just kids who aren't playing the game!!

Back to the issue at the centre of this article. Dropping a Sydney club won't make crowds better. It'll disillusion a fan base and we'all lose fans. What makes Buzz believe that eliminating a team will equal an increase in crowds for another? Does he really think taking the Sharks out of the Comp would mean those 14,000 fans will show up to St George games instead? Or Tigers fans would become Eels supporters? Take North Sydney as the case study, and let's never repeat that again. An entire region lost to League, and a legion of fans welcomed into the Swans grandstands. If my team is culled, I'm done. I won't support another club. I'll go back to the Tahs, or maybe even start following the AFL more closely, since I had an absolute ball at the Swans game Friday night. BTW there was 35,000 fans there, and only 6,000 at Campbelltown on the same night. The weekend before only 7,000 showed up to watch the "most famous rugby league club in the world" the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Don't forget rugby league flourished with a dozen clubs in Sydney for a century. AFL continues on doing it, despite their clubs being even closer neighbours than ours. Rather than cull clubs, we should be talking defending our core markets, and developing new ones. Perth and Adelaide both averaged 15,000 fans 20 years ago. Imagine the size of these clubs today had we supported them. They'd be established 20 year old franchises with a established fan base, and theoretically an established development system. We'd be a truly national sport, we'd probably be arguing about adding a second team in those cities to create cross town rivalries and leverage their massive supporter bases. But no, we can't even get a second team on the biggest rugby league market in the world, Brisbane.

We have the worlds best sporting product. We also have the world's worst sporting administrators. It's about time rugby league backs itself, takes calculated risks, and reaps some rewards, instead of being a reactive and static sport.

I love rugby league. I hate the NRL. Both with a passion, because I want what's best for the sport. And the NRL doesn't have the sport's best interests at heart. Heck, had I said something like this to Greenberg over Twitter, he would have blocked me, despite me only highlighting my concerns for the game, caring for the game. Oh wait, he actually did. Yes, he blocked me, because what the NRL dowa best, better than anyone in the world, is disillusion it's most passionate supporters, the ones that matter, the ones that spend their hard earned money on the game.
Rugby league has always been a small sport on the world scale, played in a few select areas.

That's how it has been for a long time and I can't see this changing. It will never die, it will just continue to be something that not a lot of people care about.

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
Has The Ram reached his tipping point? Constant posts of frustration with the NRL ring a familiar tune...

How long until he starts a thread (like others before him) to post news about his new found code, only to miraculously jump back on the NRL bandwagon, once the Eels have some success!

TheRam

Coach
You can all obviously say whatever you like, but there is no escaping the numbers of league participation which has declined over the past 2 decades, while Australia's population has increased by around 4 million over the same period. The AFL's figures have only gotten bigger, so where are our future fans going to come from? Also ratings and attendances down.

Sure Gary league has always been a small game, and will never become a major world sport, but in our own neck of the woods it was never a small sport. Unfortunately the way things are turning out, it has all the potential to be much smaller then it is today, to the point of being insignificant to the overwhelming majority of all Australians.

I can't get over the fact that Melbourne with so much on field success and some of the best all time players ever, millions of dollar spent and decades on, can't boast 1 non islander/Maori junior that has played NRL. Not one! That is a very telling point of where our game is heading and of its failure to inspire anyone who is not a traditionally rusted on supporter to our game.

Hardly a great future going forward.

As you were...heads in the sand.

TheRam

Coach
Has The Ram reached his tipping point? Constant posts of frustration with the NRL ring a familiar tune...

How long until he starts a thread (like others before him) to post news about his new found code, only to miraculously jump back on the NRL bandwagon, once the Eels have some success!

Like I said, I will always support the Eels. But my interest in the game is all but gone. They don't deserve me.

It has become way to boring and lacks atmosphere. Take a look at the Parra Broncos game. Everyone was over the moon of how good the game was and rated it the best so far of the season and it was. But that highlights the poor spectacle most of the games have been other then a bit of brilliance here and there.

Atmosphere and occasion is what is really missing from our game and that generally comes from near full stadiums which lift teams intensity and rivalry.

Look at the so called retro round this weekend....Ho hum anyone?