What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Abbott got turfed because he was on the nose and the writting was on the wall that they would lose to Shorten. Whilst Turnbull only won the double d election by a pubic hair, he still won.

Currently Turnbull is 17 polls behind Shorten in the 2PP but he is significantly behind Turnbull in the preferred PM. That is his advantage. IMO Turnbull would be better off in the polls if the far right of the LNP pulled their heads in and let him do his job. However like the SSM issue they are shooting themselves in the foot by stick to their antiquated views of fossil fuels, health and education. You only have look at Abbotts first budget to see where they sit on the political spectrum. Now the far right are not too far away from Pauline Hanson. Who'd of thunk that.

To answer your qn, They think that they can control Turnbull but threatening a spill. That night be true, but Turnbull is slowly ticking boxes (Gonski 2.0 etc) and if he can get SSM through, the right might have to losen their grip on Mal's gonads.
But how do you explain the re-emergence of Hanson and the previous success of Palmer? Granted, the right side of the Coalition need to behave themselves. But equally they shouldn't be silent as they offer a credible alternate to Hanson et al and therefore are important to securing Turnbull's supporter base.

Bandwagon

Staff member
What I don't understand , is that moron Shorten jumped up and down after the Irish plebiscite shouting, how good is this.. we need to do the same

Comparing this to the situation in Ireland is pointless, and ill informed, primarily because it was not a plebiscite it was a referendum. And it was a referendum because the Irish constitution made SSM illegal. The Irish could not simply enact or change a law to allow SSM, they had to change their constitution, hence a referendum was for them the only way to go about it.

Whether Shorten "jumped up and down" or not, is immaterial. Whilst the issue is the same, the means by which it is required to be dealt with are not.

Gronk

Staff member
But how do you explain the re-emergence of Hanson and the previous success of Palmer? Granted, the right side of the Coalition need to behave themselves. But equally they shouldn't be silent as they offer a credible alternate to Hanson et al and therefore are important to securing Turnbull's supporter base.

I don't know who they think is a viable alternative to Turnbull. They clearly don't like his centrist position. They need to cautious bc Shorten would win an election if held today according to the polls. So they can continue to destabilise the Turnbull government but they better have a merkin in the wings who both satisfy their convervative needs and win the election. Last polls for preferred PM Abbott polled at 8% compared to Turnbull at 60%. The conservative leader in cabinet seems to be Dutton and I would think that he would not poll any better than Abbott.

The rise of the populist far right is a phenomenon however it wont ever be more than a thorn in the foot of traditional politicians in our country.

I think most clear thinking people can see that Hanson and her weird cohort are nothing more than a circus act elected to by those who wish to flip the bird to Canberra. Her stance on the ABC right now is alarming. 4 corners ran a story on her dodgy plane, she is pissed and has said that she will only pass important legislation if the government cut funding to the abc budget. Nasty immature politics.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
Hanson's no different from the Greens when it comes to how it will affect any given election, each of the majors will bleed a portion of votes to their respective thorns. The reasoning doesn't really matter, whilst the majors battle for the middle, they have no choice but to give ground on the edges.

Gronk

Staff member
Funny how the conservatives didn't need a plebiscite to change the definition of marriage in 2004.

Gay couples will be banned from marrying or adopting children from overseas but will be allowed to inherit their partner's superannuation under proposed changes to marriage laws announced today.

Less than an hour after Prime Minister John Howard announced the changes to the Marriage Act, the government rushed legislation enabling the changes into parliament.

Mr Howard said the Marriage Act would be changed to include a definition of marriage as the `voluntarily entered-into union of a man and a woman to exclusion of all others'.

The laws currently do not define marriage.

``We've decided to insert this into the Marriage Act to make it very plain that that is our view of a marriage and to also make it very plain that the definition of a marriage is something that should rest in the hands ultimately of the parliament of the nation,'' Mr Howard told reporters.

''(It should) not over time be subject to redefinition or change by courts, it is something that ought to be expressed through the elected representatives of the country.

The change would mean that couples could not marry overseas in a country where gay marriage was legal and then hope to have the union recognised on their return to Australia.

Mr Howard also said the Family Law Act would be changed to prevent, where possible, gay couples adopting children from overseas.

``We are also going to amend the legislation to ensure that same sex couples ... will not be eligible as prospective adoptive parents under any multilateral or bilateral agreement concerning the adoption of children to which Australia is a party,'' he said.

Superannuation laws will also be changed to expand the definition of a dependant in regards to superannuation death benefits to include people in a financially interdependent relationship.

Mr Howard said the changes would, for example, allow two elderly sisters who lived together and were interdependent to receive each other's superannuation benefits tax free.

``The changes we are announcing today will provide greater certainty for the payment of super death benefits for those involved in interdependency relationships including, of course, members of same sex relationships,'' he said.

``The amendments to the definition of dependence will not alter the definition of a spouse and will not specifically recognise same sex relationships.

``As far as the other measures are concerned, the government takes the view that not only is it a statement of its attitude towards marriage but it's also a necessary assertion by the parliament of the country above all others to define what is regarded in our community what is a marriage.''

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock said the changes to the Marriage Act would protect the institution of marriage, while the Family Law Act changes would make it clear that overseas adoptions by same-sex couples would not be recognised in Australia.

``The government is fundamentally opposed to same-sex couples adopting children,'' Mr Ruddock said in a statement.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/27/1085461876842.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its all just a pissing contest atm, the left want to do it their way and the right want to do it there way despite saying they allow a conscious vote, party unity and all that shit

they are both being as pig headed as one another

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't know who they think is a viable alternative to Turnbull. They clearly don't like his centrist position. They need to cautious bc Shorten would win an election if held today according to the polls. So they can continue to destabilise the Turnbull government but they better have a merkin in the wings who both satisfy their convervative needs and win the election. Last polls for preferred PM Abbott polled at 8% compared to Turnbull at 60%. The conservative leader in cabinet seems to be Dutton and I would think that he would not poll any better than Abbott.

The rise of the populist far right is a phenomenon however it wont ever be more than a thorn in the foot of traditional politicians in our country.

I think most clear thinking people can see that Hanson and her weird cohort are nothing more than a circus act elected to by those who wish to flip the bird to Canberra. Her stance on the ABC right now is alarming. 4 corners ran a story on her dodgy plane, she is pissed and has said that she will only pass important legislation if the government cut funding to the abc budget. Nasty immature politics.
Granted she is an idiot, but I wouldn't underestimate Hanson's ability to cut through with a lot of disenfranchised people.

The QLD election is expected to occur before the end of the year and I can see One Nation doing quite well. I can also see them doing well at the next Federal election.

Gronk

Staff member
its all just a pissing contest atm, the left want to do it their way and the right want to do it there way despite saying they allow a conscious vote, party unity and all that shit

they are both being as pig headed as one another

I think you are partly right as labor want to be the party to deliver SSM. Having said that they are encouraging the LNP to have a conscience vote, so the current government can get it through and reap the accolades if they want.

The conservatives are trying to pin the delay on the labor party and greens by offering a non binding opinion poll which the LGBT community clearly don't want. The LNP will be in a for a rude shock if they think that they can kick this can down the street and avoid the inevitable. Both our brothers NZ and Britain (England Wales) have legislated SSM as a result on a free vote in parliament.

Gronk

Staff member
Granted she is an idiot, but I wouldn't underestimate Hanson's ability to cut through with a lot of disenfranchised people.

The QLD election is expected to occur before the end of the year and I can see One Nation doing quite well. I can also see them doing well at the next Federal election.

You are right but gee they are trigger happy merkins. Clive Palmer was dropped like a hot potato and Pauline is actually on the slide ATM.

August 7, 2017 12:00am

THE Turnbull Government is clawing its way out of electoral oblivion, clocking its best poll result in Queensland since freefalling after the 2016 election.

It is also inching ahead of Labor in two-party preferred terms, a new bittersweet snapshot reveals.

Taken exclusively for The Courier-Mail when the Liberal Party was consumed by same-sex marriage, the Galaxy poll signals the Government’s nosedive has ended. However, it would still lose five Queensland seats if an election were held today.

While One Nation’s support continues to fall, the Government is facing another threat.

Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives has secured 6 per cent of the primary support – higher than One Nation’s 5.5 per cent at the 2016 federal election.

One Nation reached highs of 18 per cent in February but lost three points in April and another three points this month.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...l/news-story/b07e778c53cd30ebcc2b7b65b1c3b16c

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You are right but gee they are trigger happy merkins. Clive Palmer was dropped like a hot potato and Pauline is actually on the slide ATM.

August 7, 2017 12:00am

THE Turnbull Government is clawing its way out of electoral oblivion, clocking its best poll result in Queensland since freefalling after the 2016 election.

It is also inching ahead of Labor in two-party preferred terms, a new bittersweet snapshot reveals.

Taken exclusively for The Courier-Mail when the Liberal Party was consumed by same-sex marriage, the Galaxy poll signals the Government’s nosedive has ended. However, it would still lose five Queensland seats if an election were held today.

While One Nation’s support continues to fall, the Government is facing another threat.

Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives has secured 6 per cent of the primary support – higher than One Nation’s 5.5 per cent at the 2016 federal election.

One Nation reached highs of 18 per cent in February but lost three points in April and another three points this month.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...l/news-story/b07e778c53cd30ebcc2b7b65b1c3b16c
True. People will jump at anything that seems new and fresh.

I just hope that any votes for these minor parties are distributed amongst all of them and not concentrated on one. The inclusion of the Australian Conservatives has added some more competition in that space.

Let's not forget that the Labor Party don't even get a conscience vote. They all have to vote yes.

So why are they complaining because the Liberals don't get a conscience vote?

Oh, that's right - typical SJW, leftoid idiotness...they're not getting to force their opinion onto everyone so they cry bigotry.

Why am I not shocked? And why am I not shocked that Gronk posted about it...?

Gronk

Staff member
True. People will jump at anything that seems new and fresh.

I just hope that any votes for these minor parties are distributed amongst all of them and not concentrated on one. The inclusion of the Australian Conservatives has added some more competition in that space.

I still don't get distributions. That nut job Malcolm Roberts got a $200k senate gig on 77 votes and if he gets the punt bc of his ineligibility at the time of the election, then Pauline Hanson's sister is next in line. She received 0 (zero) votes.

BTW I am sure that there are merkins in the senate from the LNP and LP who have also failed to get significant numbers to justify their election to represent the people.

Gronk

Staff member
Let's not forget that the Labor Party don't even get a conscience vote. They all have to vote yes.

So why are they complaining because the Liberals don't get a conscience vote?

Oh, that's right - typical SJW, leftoid idiotness...they're not getting to force their opinion onto everyone so they cry bigotry.

Why am I not shocked? And why am I not shocked that Gronk posted about it...?

I'm here so you could have asked me, fool.

I agree that it's ridiculous that the labor caucus don't allow a free vote for these matters. Sorry to melt your leftoid/snowflake claim.

The Gronk starts to learn to change his opinion so he doesn't look like a parrot.

Good first step. Gronky.

Pity you didn't post about it before I brought it up. If you had, people might have thought that it was your original opinion rather than one fabricated to counter the truth of your parroting.

Latest posts