What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL VS NRL

Crush

Coach
Mate that is a bizzarre generalisation to say the least...

First of all, yes triple J is largely alternative, however Macklemore is about as mainstream as it gets these days.

Second of all, to confine the entire (or majority) supporter base of Rugby League to one genre, or radio station of music makes zero sense. I can't even begin to comprehend how you would even come to this conclusion!?

Personally, Macklemore isn't my cup of tea but I know plenty of people who were excited and genuinely enjoyed his performance.

With reference to the bands I assume you are referring to, just remember that there are thousands of young rugby league supporters that have never even heard of them.
Cmon mate, the killers is way better pre-game entertainment than Macklemore, admit it.
Macklemore is a good entertainer but not at a grand final.
I too enjoyed the performance for what it was but it didn't fire me up for a game of footy!
Killers killed it.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Cmon mate, the killers is way better pre-game entertainment than Macklemore, admit it.
Macklemore is a good entertainer but not at a grand final.
I too enjoyed the performance for what it was but it didn't fire me up for a game of footy!
Killers killed it.

I definitely enjoyed The Killers more, not denying that. My point is that it's subjective and you're never gonna please everybody. At least Macklemore was better than Billy Idol lol.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The AFL always have and will always be a more efficient and stronger supported organisation than the NRL.
It is an absolute religion in Victoria. It doesn't matter if you don't like sport, everyone has a footy team down there.. It's remarkable. Not to mention how widespread they are across the country right now.
And it's not just about Grand Finals, you watch regular season games and the crowds they get. Most stadiums (albeit the MCG of course) are basically selling out.
If you look at the average crowds for the 2017 AFL season, only three rounds out of 23 were below 30,000 on average. Essendon VS Collingwood (a regular season game) got 88,000... It wasn't even a final... and only one of those teams barely even made the top 8. You will NEVER see that in the NRL.

With the success of GWS and the Swannies, they are slowly getting stronger in NSW now which is Rugby League territory. The AFL in still climbing, the NRL is declining.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
https://www.oztix.com.au/news/archi...-the-killers-in-grand-final-ratings-themusic/

More people tuned in to the NRL's pre-game entertainment than tuned in to the AFL's pre-game. Chalk up a win for the NRL

To be honest with you I think the only reason Macklemore got up in the ratings is because of the drama and build up that was attached to it with the marriage equality debate. People were probably just tuning in to see if he would play 'Same Love' and if the crowd would do anything, I don't think it had anything to do with him being more entertaining haha.

Still, a win is a win.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I actually got to spend some time down in Melbourne this year doing some contract work with an AFL club and I was absolutely blown away at how progressive they were.

I would say many NRL clubs, and the NRL itself is a good 10 years behind the AFL and its clubs from a business point of view. And that's being generous.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
lol. Unfortunately they don't practice what they preach.

Do you mean NO campaigners?

Obviously, this forum isn't an appropriate vehicle for any such meaningful discourse, but I would strongly argue that YES advocates are the ones who say one thing with little honesty involved.

ouryear

Juniors
How. Do they interchange the fans as much as they do the players in their stupid game? The difference in viewership was 370,000.
Hate to gate crash the party....but viewer numbers for the entire game.....AFL won pretty comfortably.... plus they had 21,000 more at the game.
NRL may also deny it, but they gave away 12,000 free tickets as well.
If AFL is a religion, NRL is just a local Sunday school.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Do you mean NO campaigners?

Obviously, this forum isn't an appropriate vehicle for any such meaningful discourse, but I would strongly argue that YES advocates are the ones who say one thing with little honesty involved.
This forum is ok to discuss this. You're entitled to your view and I'm entitled to disagree with your view on this and a whole range of subjects.

How is campaigning for equal rights a dishonest venture? Surely it is more dishonest to say it is about religion.

The No campaigners also insist it is about 'free speech', and yet, they tried to have Macklemore banned. How is that free speech? More likely, when they preach these words they are only talking about their free speech, not those who disagree with them.

ouryear

Juniors
This forum is ok to discuss this. You're entitled to your view and I'm entitled to disagree with your view on this and a whole range of subjects.

How is campaigning for equal rights a dishonest venture? Surely it is more dishonest to say it is about religion.

The No campaigners also insist it is about 'free speech', and yet, they tried to have Macklemore banned. How is that free speech? More likely, when they preach these words they are only talking about their free speech, not those who disagree with them.
I am all for free speech.
In fact i would fight for it.

But imagine if an election was on ....and the nrl paid singers to sing songs of joy to either billy shorten or malcolm turnbul.

I say lets keep religion and politics separate.....and keep sport and politics separate.

How can any sporting org make out they are speaking for thousands of their participants and officials?

It needs to be a personal and heart felt decision

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Seeing as Willow has given it the green light, I would honestly love to get a discussion going on this SSM debate. Would be very interested to see forum members thoughts on it.

ouryear

Juniors
How thick is this St George forum with AFL trolls? Is it the colours or something?

WTF?
No one here is an AFL troll mate.

But after years of hating AFL...
I got to admit i admire their passion, tribalism, massive weekly crowds, great commentators, and their coaches dont blame umpires for losing!

We need to look and learn from the AFL and put plans in motion to surpass them.

But Greenberg or whatever his name is ... is as bad as our own Mr Doust!

Crush

Coach
The AFL would give their eye teeth for the international competition rugby league is about to experience. Happy days.
International Rugby League is a joke. I honestly do not watch it.
I watch club NRL and SOO reluctantly.
Rugby Union world cup is a real world cup. Obviously nothing on soccer world cup but Rugby Union WC kills Rugby League world cup.
AFL at least doesn't pretend to have a "world" cup.......

Latest posts