What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Boss doesn't even know who the Cronulla Sharks are

Eion

First Grade
The last bloke didn’t know the sharks or the eagles either and got crucified for it. Beatie is worse because it just happened again. Mind boggling. There are no words.

100% politician resume man.

M2D2

Bench
2032295_700b.jpg

some11

Referee
Obviously needs to be fired after a two week campaign by the daily toiletpaper.

Spare a thought for the sloth tonight.

Charlie124

First Grade
As cringeworthy as it was to watch, i genuinely think he misheard or misunderstood the question and thought Gus was trying to throw him a curveball by referencing some junior club, not realising he was just talking about the Sharks. It just wouldn't make sense any other way, especially considering his next sentence about how much he loves the game.

insert.pause

First Grade
As cringeworthy as it was to watch, i genuinely think he misheard or misunderstood the question and thought Gus was trying to throw him a curveball by referencing some junior club, not realising he was just talking about the Sharks. It just wouldn't make sense any other way, especially considering his next sentence about how much he loves the game.
That's what I thought, not many people in qld would know where the Sutherland shire is. I think he panicked and didn't listen to the rest of the question.

I was more concerned by his answer to the stadium question where he didn't seem to understand the context of the question, ie. suburban grounds vs big stadium debate, and started talking about juniors needing suburban stadiums.

Wizardman

First Grade
I don't expect him to know how many metres Fifita made over the weekend....but f**k me, he should have some knowledge of the geography of this country and the names of the sixteen teams in the comp. It is not as though he has come from abroad either....seems like he is thick as a brick.

Quidgybo

Bench
It’s just a misunderstood question, calm down folks.

“What team plays out of the Sutherland Shire?” Gus, then gave three options, all with the name “Cronulla” first part. Now yes, most people would have picked up, oh we’re talking about the NRL. But I think Beattie had got caught up on the Sutherland Shire bit and thought Gus was talking state league or local suburban leagues in Sydney. After all, the Cronulla-Sutherland double barrel name has kind of fallen out of usage in the 20 years since Super League, so it’s not an automatic connection for non Sydney siders.

If you don’t buy that, just consider that Beattie has been on the Commission for more than six months. During that time he’s sat in round table meetings where all eight Commissioners, representatives of all sixteen clubs and representatives of the two states have been present (including twice in the last three weeks, one of those just hours before this interview). To suggest he doesn’t know who the Cronulla Sharks are is just ridiculous.

Leigh.

Last edited: