What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Live* Parra v Penrith Game Day thread, March 11, 2018

Glenneel

Bench
No, their pack did not dominate ours. Their bench dominated our bench. Simple.

You've been spouting the same shit for five years
Yes and you've been countering with your shit, but have we won the comp yet in those 5 years? We made the finals how many times...that's right once! Obviously if something is not working change it. And bigger forwards is a change and you're advocating what....the status quo! Wtf.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
Well until you can back up your reasons for the possession swing with some evidence it's just a pet theory. It could be true but I'm unconvinced. Allowing the opposition to make easy metres should be a reason to keep the ball away from them rather than giving it back in good position and then conceding penalties in kicking range. Evans still made over 10 metres per carry yesterday. Tucking it under his arm would've been smarter than throwing silly passes.
Everyone says it is a silly pass but if it came off we would have been praising him. Ffs, he is on the field and has a split second to do something but the armchair critics have all day to decide right or wrong. I'll never criticise someone for trying something unless it is just plain stupid, and that pass was not that!

Glenneel

Bench
I agree the bench bought into the dumb shit that was going on at the time, and I expressed concern before the game that they wouldn't be able to work as hard in the middle as Mannah/Alvaro. I kind of expected Arthur to not use them at the same time, staggering the times he removed Mannah and Alvaro, keeping Brown on for longer and maybe even moving Moeroa to the middle to pair with Evans/Matagi. It feels like the loss of Moses to the HIA completely f**ked our rotation, meaning Moeroa had to play edge forward for longer, and forcing us to have Evans and Matagi on at the same time early on. And I absolutely blame those two (and Scott) for the Blake try in the first half. Ma'u had hold of him. Where was the hit over the top to finish him off?

So I don't see why you're saying I'm absolving the bench of their poor performance. But plenty of the starters also took their foot off after we had a good lead.

Cameron King is also a virtual defensive non-contributor, but he is in the team to provide 80 minutes of quality at dummy half, meaning we have even more need for workers in our three middle forward spots.
Why the King hate? Nearly every tackle he missed was from broken play. Mau missed 2 which led to tries I think.

emjaycee

Coach
Yes and you've been countering with your shit, but have we won the comp yet in those 5 years? We made the finals how many times...that's right once! Obviously if something is not working change it. And bigger forwards is a change and you're advocating what....the status quo! Wtf.

Over the last 5 years, BA has used a heap of bigger forwards. For one reason or another lots of them haven't worked out but that doesn't take away from the fact that he (BA) recognises the lack of size as an issue. Seems to me though he is trying to balance size, with effort/workload and not just recruit big boppers who are an overall liability, esp. in defence.

Here is a quick list of some of the players with "size" that BA has used and since "let go":
Tanginoa
Mossop
Pauli Pauli
Wicks
O'Brien
Fritchard
Paulo

The average size of these guys is 109 kg and 1.87 mtres.

He has also recruited Evans, Matagi, Williams and Vave in the last couple of years to bolster our overall pack size. These guys averages are 113 kgs and 1.89 metres.

Apart from the loss of Junior Paulo which at the time was unavoidable (salary cap, bikie behaviour, obscene offer from Ricky) the others we have let go have either retired or done little elsewhere.

You probably need to recognise that there are not 2 or 3 Paul Vaughan's or R C-G's available every year to recruit and realise that BA is building size as much as the market allows.