What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Live* Parra v Penrith Game Day thread, March 11, 2018

Gronk

Staff member
They didn't have to to win the game. Kikau absolutely smashed us and we had no counter.

I don't disagree, but his stats were only 8 runs for 79m.

Just shows that numbers don't tell the full story.

Bazal

Post Whore
Over the last 5 years, BA has used a heap of bigger forwards. For one reason or another lots of them haven't worked out but that doesn't take away from the fact that he (BA) recognises the lack of size as an issue. Seems to me though he is trying to balance size, with effort/workload and not just recruit big boppers who are an overall liability, esp. in defence.

Here is a quick list of some of the players with "size" that BA has used and since "let go":
Tanginoa
Mossop
Pauli Pauli
Wicks
O'Brien
Fritchard
Paulo

The average size of these guys is 109 kg and 1.87 mtres.

He has also recruited Evans, Matagi, Williams and Vave in the last couple of years to bolster our overall pack size. These guys averages are 113 kgs and 1.89 metres.

Apart from the loss of Junior Paulo which at the time was unavoidable (salary cap, bikie behaviour, obscene offer from Ricky) the others we have let go have either retired or done little elsewhere.

You probably need to recognise that there are not 2 or 3 Paul Vaughan's or R C-G's available every year to recruit and realise that BA is building size as much as the market allows.

Excuses!

We need moar fat props immediately!

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't disagree, but his stats were only 8 runs for 79m.

Just shows that numbers don't tell the full story.

And he ran over our half and centre a couple of times

Clearly the solution is to recruit bigger halfbacks and centres!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They didn't have to to win the game. Kikau absolutely smashed us and we had no counter.
The counter would have been to work harder in the middle so Kikau didn't get the chance to get at Moses or Hayne one-on-one. How often did our edge forwards get at an isolated back? Takairangi trampled Maloney a couple of times but Maloney's mates were right there to limit the damage.

Gronk

Staff member
And he ran over our half and centre a couple of times

Clearly the solution is to recruit bigger halfbacks and centres!

Crazy that we have pretty much been able to contain Taumololololo last year who regularly runs 200m+, but this merkin only touched the ball 8 times for <10m a hitup and caused chaos . Either he did not get a mention in the tip sheet or a few merkins failed miserably.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone says it is a silly pass but if it came off we would have been praising him. Ffs, he is on the field and has a split second to do something but the armchair critics have all day to decide right or wrong. I'll never criticise someone for trying something unless it is just plain stupid, and that pass was not that!
When he threw it I assumed it would be called forward. And regardless it wasn't easy to catch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why the King hate? Nearly every tackle he missed was from broken play.
I'm sure some were, however his work rate (tackles per minute) isn't high enough to claim that many of his attempts are effort tackles in cover.
Mau missed 2 which led to tries I think.
Just one, but that's what happens when an outside back is allowed to isolate an opposing defender. They are in the team for their ability to beat (and contain) a player one-on-one. 80 minute edge forwards are in the team for their all round game. In a one-on-one situation you would expect the outside back to beat most opponents, which is why the rule is to not let your mate defend on his own. This is why you need hard working middle defenders, not just fat ones.

84 Baby

Referee
Everyone says it is a silly pass but if it came off we would have been praising him. Ffs, he is on the field and has a split second to do something but the armchair critics have all day to decide right or wrong. I'll never criticise someone for trying something unless it is just plain stupid, and that pass was not that!
269nyn.jpg

lingard

Coach
Most people who dismiss stats do so because those who swear by them, seem to think they tell the whole story (which they never do). There is a balance to be had between relying on stats and relyimg on experienced onservation. That's where the real truth is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Most people who dismiss stats do so because those who swear by them, seem to think they tell the whole story (which they never do).
Nobody swears by stats. However if you're presenting evidence to make a point they are extremely valuable. Much more valuable than the alleged observation that a player who makes very few metres per carry (for example) somehow 'takes more energy out of the opposition'.
There is a balance to be had between relying on stats and relyimg on experienced onservation. That's where the real truth is.
However, the best players all have great stats as well as being observable as the best players, proving correlation between the two.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Most people who dismiss stats do so because those who swear by them, seem to think they tell the whole story (which they never do). There is a balance to be had between relying on stats and relyimg on experienced onservation. That's where the real truth is.
Nope. That’s just you projecting.

Any use of stats by our resident stats man has been judicious and relevant for the most part. Its the anti stats knobs who have poppped their cookies and tried to ascribe positions that never existed to begin with.

Next time you get angry just take it out on your acoustic and then send us a YouTube link to a 7 min baroque epic about the inportance of chives.

Latest posts