What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Raiderdave

First Grade
they'll be the inevitable crys from FC & the Roosters/Dragons , that it wont be big enough for the derby or ANZAC day clash

but thats one game a year for both codes
I think we can wear 32K as a ceiling for our ANZAC day game

Raiderdave

First Grade
the NRL needs to come out swinging

pointing out there is nothing this slimey untrustworthy govt could do to entice big RL events staying in Sydney if ANZ is not rebuilt to the standard promised

the budget problems are the govts to sort out & shouldn't be used as an excuse to go back on their word to the state & cities major sport .. rugby league
there is a solution to the $$ problem
if they ignore this & plough ahead with the insanity of the Allianz project in its current form & give no indication that ANZ will be anything more then lipstick on a pig at best

then
Holy Hell
reign fire on these merkins from a great height
our code is being set up here , by anti league forces .. that don't want our code to succeed
the AFL friendly SCG trust need to be taken down & hard
The AFL don't want to lose ANZ , so be assured their grubby hands are in on this

we have to fight here
Labor will have a platform to fight an election on this if this goes ahead where they didn't before
Eastern Suburbs palaces over the RL loving people of the west & their needs
this can't be tollerated

So people think a 32k seat stadium will be big enough eh? That is working on the assumption that all 32k seats would be available to sell to the public. This is with the SCG Trust running things they will not be.

Currently (and herberthenry1908 can correct me if I have the figures wrong) some 8k of the current seats at the SFS are set aside for trust members. Consequently you build a 32k seat stadium, I'll bet the trust will insist on the same number of seats being set aside for the trust members, meaning you only have 24k seats available to sell. Add on corporate seating and private boxes, and you could wind up with 20k or less seats available to sell to the public for all occasions.

The reasoning that it should be 32k is specious if you are going to say it only gets a full house once or twice a year during the rugby league and A-League seasons. You could certainly make the same comment about ANZ Stadium.

The issue is ANZ should have been done first as that is what the NSW Government agreed on. To me, they have welched on the deal.

Raiderdave

First Grade
So people think a 32k seat stadium will be big enough eh? That is working on the assumption that all 32k seats would be available to sell to the public. This is with the SCG Trust running things they will not be.

Currently (and herberthenry1908 can correct me if I have the figures wrong) some 8k of the current seats at the SFS are set aside for trust members. Consequently you build a 32k seat stadium, I'll bet the trust will insist on the same number of seats being set aside for the trust members, meaning you only have 24k seats available to sell. Add on corporate seating and private boxes, and you could wind up with 20k or less seats available to sell to the public for all occasions.

The reasoning that it should be 32k is specious if you are going to say it only gets a full house once or twice a year during the rugby league and A-League seasons. You could certainly make the same comment about ANZ Stadium.

The issue is ANZ should have been done first as that is what the NSW Government agreed on. To me, they have welched on the deal.

if we can't afford the Allianz & ANZ projects together
then a 32K seat venue at Moore park is where we compromise
thats a common sense solution

Raiderdave

First Grade
we can't give an inch on Homebush
it needs to be a world class 70K plus rectangle venue that is the envy of every other state in the nation & indeed the world.

our code in its home city has waited for more then 110 years
thats long enough I think

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach

It's not that hard to change how the seats are allocated though. You force the 8k members to nominate at least 2 weeks before an event that they would like to attend. This way there are more tickets available to sell to the public for the big events. There are a lot of events at Stadium Australia that work this way. So really the SFS can just be brought into line.

Yes 8k is about right.

I think the smallest Allianz could be, without having a restructuring of the membership arrangements, is 35k.

It's not that hard to change how the seats are allocated though. You force the 8k members to nominate at least 2 weeks before an event that they would like to attend. This way there are more tickets available to sell to the public for the big events. There are a lot of events at Stadium Australia that work this way. So really the SFS can just be brought into line.

Yes the by-laws could be changed.

Hell they should be changed no matter what to give the tenants a better deal.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...d/news-story/30c7977feb2c5d0fd3e36c4b040f6e69

Go-ahead nears for Allianz Stadium rebuild
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM March 12, 2018
  • Andrew Clennell
    5bcf05474f86ed11782a5560601a47f3
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is expected to press forward with the announcement this week of the full knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium but the reconstruction of ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park is tipped to be downsized, delayed or even dumped.

The final business case for Allianz Stadium (or the Sydney Football Stadium) in Sydney’s east is scheduled to go to cabinet’s expenditure review committee on Wednesday evening and cabinet on Thursday before an expected announcement on Thursday.

The case going to cabinet committee this week includes only the 45,000-seat Allianz option pushed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres, effectively ruling out the 30,000-seat option pushed by some, including the NRL.

Government sources said Infrastructure NSW chairman Jim Betts had been asked to pull the cost of the stadium back from its blowout to $900 million to close to the original $705m announced in November, meaning some technology and innovation plans for the stadium may have to be dumped. A decision on the future of the planned $1.25 billion knockdown and rebuild of ANZ Stadium is expected in about a month.

Opposition Leader Luke Foley, who has previously expressed a desire to refurbish ANZ Stadium to make it rectangular, reiterated that if work on Allianz Stadium began before next March’s election, he might not proceed with the construction of ANZ if elected.

“We’ll announce our policy in good time, but we need to see what this government’s final commitments are,” Mr Foley said. “There’s a limited pot of money.

“I’ve been honest all the way through when you ask me what should be the priority for limited government expenditure on stadiums; I’ve always said a sensible refurbishment of the ground in the geographical heart of Sydney that hosts grand finals and State of Origins and Bledisloe Cups.

“That’s my preference, but let me tell you if they blow all the money on a new Moore Park stadium, there’ll be nothing left for the Olympic Stadium and that’s why I’m fighting this white elephant.”

Mr Foley’s pronouncement sets the scene for a potential east-versus-west stadiums fight ahead of the state election.

FMD - This is what Ayers and the AFL wanted all along.
  • ANZ left as an oval
  • NRL Grand Final out of Sydney

unforgiven

Bench
  • ANZ left as an oval
I think the NRL needs to move all major games out of Sydney. Grand Final interstate and I'd even move the State of Origin home game to Newcastle, I know it is still NSW but it sends a clear message to the State government that we will not use their major venues until they are upgraded as promised.

I think the NRL needs to move all major games out of Sydney. Grand Final interstate and I'd even move the State of Origin home game to Newcastle, I know it is still NSW but it sends a clear message to the State government that we will not use their major venues until they are upgraded as promised.

You do realise McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle is owned by the NSW Government? As such moving Origin games there would make no real difference to the NSW Government.

Raiderdave

First Grade

yep
place a ban on Allianz for games under their control
so no finals there for anyone , including the Roosters who'd be forced to play finals at Parramatta or ANZ

until ANZ is done the way they said it would

Jamberoo

Juniors
Isn’t that just punishing the fans, who are likley to blame to NRL, not the Govt if they did so?

Raiderdave

First Grade
You do realise McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle is owned by the NSW Government? As such moving Origin games there would make no real difference to the NSW Government.

then its a complete ban then
only venues not owned by the NSW Govt for the NRL's biggest events

Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Auckland
Canberra
Townsville
Gold Coast

all get a crack before any venue in NSW owned by the Govt does

Raiderdave

First Grade
Isn’t that just punishing the fans, who are likley to blame to NRL, not the Govt if they did so?

they won't if the blame is apportioned correctly & the real culprits identified

the alternative is we just cop it
& thats what this puppet Govt is banking on , as well as the anti league slimey scum who are pulling the strings

Jamberoo

Juniors
  • ANZ left as an oval
I don’t think ANZ being Oval is going to make much difference to the AFL - the only game they would ever play there is GWS hosting Swans in a final which statistically should only happen once every ten years.
What will make a big difference is people turning on the NRL and blaming them for this mess.
Having said that I doubt the AFL is an influential player in any of this. It is not a blip on the radar in the AFL world here in Melbourne.

unforgiven

Bench

Yeah I know that, but the NRL needs to show how serious they are about this issue and it is the only other ground in NSW anywhere near capable of holding the match. Sydney needs to be blacklisted until the ANZ is redone. It will make a difference because Sydney will be losing an event they should have the right of hosting.

Yeah I know that, but the NRL needs to show how serious they are about this issue and it is the only other ground in NSW anywhere near capable of holding the match. Sydney needs to be blacklisted until the ANZ is redone. It will make a difference because Sydney will be losing an event they should have the right of hosting.

I understand that. However the NSW Government would just sell it as a win for regional NSW if this occurred. Taking it to regional NSW would not hurt them at all for that reason (trust me that is how they'd see it, and how they'd explain it).

Raiderdave

First Grade
I don’t think ANZ being Oval is going to make much difference to the AFL - the only game they would ever play there is GWS hosting Swans in a final which statistically should only happen once every ten years.
What will make a big difference is people turning on the NRL and blaming them for this mess.
Having said that I doubt the AFL is an influential player in any of this. It is not a blip on the radar in the AFL world here in Melbourne.

they are the most arrogant scum on the planet
they'd genuinely believe they have the right to keep ANZ as it is , for the potential of one game there every 5 years

Latest posts