What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Why would you be stunned?
Almost all govt project costs blow out.
I'd be waiting for final costings, rather than believe speculation from shock jocks and tabloid media, furthering their own agenda's.
That's all I'm saying.

That’s what I said.

I’d be stunned if it * DIDN’T * blow out

M2D2

Bench
Wether bullshit or not, anyone whose been to the ground knows there are safety concerns.

Even ANZ which was only built 10 years later has much better access both inside and outside the ground.
And as i said before, if SFS has safety concerns, so does every stadium in NSW that has less than 4 exits.
Its a lie by the SCG trust. Plain and simple.

And as i said before, if SFS has safety concerns, so does every stadium in NSW that has less than 4 exits.
Its a lie by the SCG trust. Plain and simple.

Not every stadium is as boxed in as Allianz.

But it’s not just the number of exits, it’s the size of the exits relative to the grounds capacity.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not every stadium is as boxed in as Allianz.

But it’s not just the number of exits, it’s the size of the exits relative to the grounds capacity.

Yes, the same as almost every other ground in NSW, as M2D2 said.
It's a smokescreen from the trust to get their way, and f**king Ayres has fallen for it and is sucking up to his mates like Jones to further his political career.

M2D2

Bench
It's a smokescreen from the trust to get their way, and f**king Ayres has fallen for it and is sucking up to his mates like Jones to further his political career.
Maybe im a little more cynical and say Ayres knows and is going along with it.
Shark Park. Leichy. Brooky. C-town. Parramatta was pretty bad too if you were down the other end.
I think gong is pretty shit too, but i havent been back since they finished their new stand. Jubilee was a trainwreck a decade ago. Dont know what its like now however.

Which ones specifically do you think are as bad?

T-Boon

Coach
With these tactics from the SCG trust, that GWS guy (who wants ANZ to stay as it is) and Ayres the NRL policy needs to be that ANZ stadium gets approved and done first. If Alliance gets approved and started first that triggers the floating of GF's and state of origins to other states.

Any suburban ground.
Imagine a terrorist attack on the hill at Leichhardt? How quickly could 18000 people get out of that shit hole.

Yeah but how regularly is it used? 3 times a year it might have more than 15k people at it.

We’re talking 50 times a year at Allianz.

Maybe im a little more cynical and say Ayres knows and is going along with it.

Shark Park. Leichy. Brooky. C-town. Parramatta was pretty bad too if you were down the other end.
I think gong is pretty shit too, but i havent been back since they finished their new stand. Jubilee was a trainwreck a decade ago. Dont know what its like now however.

There’s definitely some grounds with issues, but they’re not used as much as Allianz, and they never have more than 20k in them. To me that’s why security and safety would be a more pressing issue at Allianz.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve said many times in this thread that 45k & $900m is too much. But it still needs some major investment.

T-Boon

Coach
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve said many times in this thread that 45k & $900m is too much. But it still needs some major investment.

It can definitely wait until after ANZ gets done. If the argument is that it can't, then there should not be games on there now but, woah, look out there are. It can wait.

It can definitely wait until after ANZ gets done. If the argument is that it can't, then there should not be games on there now but, woah, look out there are. It can wait.

Yeah I agree there. I’d much prefer to see ANZ go first, if for no other reason than to ensure it doesn’t get ditched after the election.

I mean we’re coming up pretty fast on these dates though, Allianz expected to be knocked down in 6 months. I can’t see a pivot on the order.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/ba1b8d13f8f884cba96958924a148490

Stadium overhaul to supercharge Sydney’s bids for big global contests

ANNA CALDWELL, STATE POLITICAL EDITOR, The Daily Telegraph
in 37 minutes

SYDNEY’S suite of rebuilt stadiums would be used to turbocharge bids to host sport’s biggest global events, including the football and rugby World Cups, under a plan put to the state government.

It envisages leveraging the multibillion-dollar refurbishment of ANZ, Allianz and Parramatta Stadiums to target the women’s and men’s rugby World Cups in 2021 and 2027 respectively, and the FIFA women’s and men’s World Cups in 2023 and 2030.

Prepared by Western Sydney’s leading business groups, the proposal also calls for Sydney to bid to host the Commonwealth Games in 2026 or 2030.

It envisages holding the opening and closing ceremonies plus events such as rugby sevens and hockey at the rebuilt rectangular Olympic Park stadium, with the athletics, which requires an oval track, being held next door at Spotless Stadium.

The plan has been developed by the Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue, Western Sydney Business Chamber and Sydney Olympic Park Business Association.

d51859338ff470d1dc39a2b6bb3c05a3

The 2016 Olympics closing ceremony in Rio de Janeiro. The drive for big events can help Sydney return to the place on the world stage it occupied after the 2000 Games.

The groups will today call on the state government to establish a global events taskforce which would work alongside Destination NSW to work on attracting the major sporting events, targeting these “big five” international tournaments.

Australia would also be up against it trying to secure football’s men’s World Cup after blowing $42 million of taxpayers’ money to secure only one vote in the bidding for the 2022 tournament.

But the proponents are aiming high and say the formation of an events taskforce would “ensure Sydney plays its best cards when bidding for events”.

3197f78be464d2f116c9f90fb36c9257

Crowds at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 for the opening day of the track and field events.

Success would attract millions in tourism dollars for the economy and revive the glory days of the 2000 Sydney Olympics by putting the city on the international map.

“The NSW government is making an important investment in our sporting and cultural infrastructure,” Christopher Brown, chairman of the Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue, said.

“We believe that, thanks to this investment, a fantastic opportunity exists for Sydney, and Western Sydney in particular, to bid for and win more major global events.”

4f1b99671c8440f9573874cf66971806

Sydney will pitch for world athletics meets. Picture: Getty

Mr Brown said that without investing in the stadiums, Sydney would face “stiff competition” from other countries and states that had heavily invested in sporting infrastructure.

“In Australia alone, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth have all made significant investments in their stadiums, while Sydney has let our facilities age to the point where they are no longer fit for purpose.

“However, with three new world-class rectangular stadiums with fantastic lively precincts around them, Sydney will be extremely hard to beat.”

Sydney’s chances would also be enhanced by transport upgrades including Sydney Metro, Sydney Light Rail and WestConnex, quickening travel to and from key venues.

Director of the Western Sydney Business Chamber David Borger said: “The tourism benefits and economic returns from major events like these would be amazing, particularly for Western Sydney”.

ANZ STADIUM ROOF
fea2695ebc5a53d8e659d212e23e5c85

483801de55d66a78b5ae56ef0c6c9694

ANZ Stadium roof

The state government is expected to approve investing in a knockdown-rebuild project for Allianz Stadium at Moore Park this week.

Mr Brown said Commonwealth Games officials were already exploring the idea of Olympic Park hosting the event in the future.

With the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games just over three weeks away, the state government has not yet confirmed if it backs Western Sydney’s bid for a future edition.

A group of regional Victorian towns have already announced a crack at hosting the games in 2030.

‘MAKE SYDNEY AN INCREDIBLE EVENTS DESTINATION’

INFRASTRUCTURE Minister Andrew Constance has strongly made the case for investment in brand new stadiums, declaring that the government’s policy would make “Sydney an incredible events destination”.

“We’re behind the Eight ball and we want to be able to attract world class events to our state and at the same time it’s not just sports, it’s rock concerts and other events that draw big crowds,” Mr Constance said.

His strong backing for both stadium redevelopments came after Deputy Premier John Barilaro left the door open for a government backdown.

“The point I would make about both sites is they’re very different sites,” Mr Constance said of Allianz and ANZ.

“What we’ve said is we want to bring a Wembley style stadium in the heart of Sydney for the state — that’s what (ANZ) is about. Moore Park is a smaller facility catering for a different style of event.”

Cabinet will this week be asked to approve plans to demolish and rebuild Allianz stadium. A report of a blowout of hundreds of millions for Moore Park stadium identified in the final business case is understood to be wrong. However, it is likely there will be some increase to the $705 million figure flagged in original estimates in November.

Mr Constance said that overall, the $2.3 billion investment for new stadiums at ANZ, Allianz and Parramatta was “small” relative to the overall infrastructure budget and would turn NSW “into one of the most incredible events destinations in the world”.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...g/news-story/4c830abd5b2087047c0a3d28d956c972

Gladys Berejiklian crunching the numbers for stadiums rebuild funding
The benefit-cost ratio for a knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium is expected to have been dragged up from 0.6 to about one when Premier Gladys Berejiklian announces the project this week, allowing money for the project to be taken from the sale of the Land and Property Information Service.

When cabinet first approved the government’s policy of building two stadiums at a cost of more than $2 billion last November, ministers were told the BCR for Allianz was 0.6; potentially up to 0.8 if the value of the asset when it was not being used was counted.

For a project to have more value than its cost it must have a BCR of more than one and, under the government’s own rules, the proceeds of asset sales cannot be used for projects unless they have a BCR of one or more.

It is understood the strategic business case for the knockdown and rebuild of ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park is set to downsize its BCR from close to one to as low as 0.6, setting the way for the government to backtrack on that project.

But there is internal conjecture that part of the reason for the Sydney Football Stadium project — heavily backed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres — increasing in value and the other decreasing is the judgment that a rebuilt Allianz Stadium will take major events away from ANZ Stadium.

Ms Berejiklian previously promised that the $2.6 billion sale of the Land and Property Information Service would pay for her plans announced in November to rebuild Allianz Stadium for $705 million and ANZ Stadium for $1.25bn.

The Premier is expected to announce on Thursday that she will proceed with the knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium at a cost of more than $700m.

But a decision on a rebuild of ANZ is expected to be delayed for a month, amid widespread speculation the ANZ project is to be downsized, delayed or dumped.

The Australian has revealed that initial estimates by INSW of the cost of knocking down and rebuilding Allianz Stadium involved a cost blowout of up to $200m but that Infrastructure NSW chief executive Jim Betts had been told to try to get the project to cost as close to $705m as possible.

This could involve dumping of flash technology and other innovations planned for the stadium.

The government has also spent more than $300m on a new Parramatta stadium and $200m on buying back ANZ from the private sector.

Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance yesterday defended spending on both stadiums. “We’re behind the eight ball compared to other states ... it’s not just the sports; it’s the rock concerts and other events that draw incredible crowds,” Mr Constance said.

“They’re very different sites . . the Olympic venue, we’re working to build a metro train there, a light rail there.

“We want to build a Wembley style stadium in the heart of Sydney at Sydney Olympic Park.

“In terms of Moore Park, it’s a smaller facility obviously catering for a different style of events.”