What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap

Perth Red

Post Whore
A little bit curious as to why there was no on field punishment, as has been case for any major cap breach.

Because they are not cheating now according to Todd.

You'd think systemic cheating over 5 years to the tune of $1.5mill would be enough to cost points but apparently not. Todd has lowered the bar considerably!

2002 Bulldogs cheating $1mill over 2 years - penalty loss of full seasons competition points and $500k fine (max available)
2010 Storm cheating $3.7mill over 5 years - penalty stripped of full following season points and period titles and $1.7mill fine
2016 Eels cheating $3mill over 5 years - penalty Stripped of points and $1mill fine
2017 Manly cheating $1.5mill over 5 years - penalty no point loss and $750k fine

Seems to me Todd is getting soft on cheating compared to previous CEO's.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
"Every club needs to be aware that any attempt to cheat the salary cap will eventually be detected and the club involved will be heavily sanctioned."

Eventually being the key word in this statement! 5 years they've been at it and like most of these cases only got found out due to a whistle blower. NRL does a good job when told somethings amiss but geez their ability to actually figure it out on their own is still massively lacking.

Now where's all those people who said that Manly were being hard done to, witch hunt etc and that NRL shouldn't be allowed to cease and examine computers and phones?

Eventually is the key here. A very bad precedent for the NRL to play down the cheating and reduce sanctions as they were caught after they stopped.

So if they were still cheating this year but to a slightly lesser degree over the previous 5 years would they keep competition points this year?

They threshold for competition points is salary cap cheating fullstop. The length, continuation and severity should then determine the size of the fine/loss of points and or premierships.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Because they are not cheating now according to Todd.

You'd think systemic cheating over 5 years to the tune of $1.5mill would be enough to cost points but apparently not. Todd has lowered the bar considerably!

2002 Bulldogs cheating $1mill over 2 years - penalty loss of full seasons competition points and $500k fine (max available)
2010 Storm cheating $3.7mill over 5 years - penalty stripped of full following season points and period titles and $1.7mill fine
2016 Eels cheating $3mill over 5 years - penalty Stripped of points and $1mill fine
2017 Manly cheating $1.5mill over 5 years - penalty no point loss and $750k fine

Seems to me Todd is getting soft on cheating compared to previous CEO's.

Warriors in 2006.

New management took over, found a few question marks in the books and essentially dobbed themselves in.

Just under a million total, still got 4 points deducted and they were never over the cap for 2006.

Manly got off very lightly here and it's a little scary that Todd has essentially put a figure and timeframe on how much you can systematically rort the salary cap without having points deducted.

super_coach

First Grade
NRL goes soft again. Greenberg said Manly dont have any points deducted for 2018 because the 2018 roster is compliant??? Funny thing they have assembled this squad over the past few years when they were not compliant. Players like Tapau were recruited when they were not compliant and the other 15 clubs did not get a fair shot at signing these players.

Nothing ever surprises me with the NRL

Saxon

Bench
Based on precedent, the punishment seems pretty weak to me. A slap on the wrist.
Although bans to Kelly and Bozo soften the blow somewhat.

siv

First Grade
Happy with the future punishments

But $1.5 mil breach over 5 years should have resulted in 15-30 comp points penalty

Saxon

Bench
Pretty disgusted to be honest. Considering canning and demanding a refund on membership.
Having been there, I feel genuinely sorry for the majority of Sea-eagles fans. It's a shit situation.

For carrion eaters like cherry poppins who have used it as a weapon against other fans; I have no sympathy at all. I hope it gnaws at her soul.