What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

El Diablo

Post Whore
so and so is such and such it's not funny

seems to imply there are other cases of some other bastard being such and such and it is funny

mongoose

Coach
"I could care less" amazing how many people have that one wrong.

Couples calling each other "babe"

Knightmare

Coach
"Facts have a left-wing bias"

Translation: Somebody with the same opinions as mine said my opinions are usually fact, so obviously it's factual.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
you have to lose one to win one

biggest load of shit and it doesn't make you feel better after your team loses a GF

Life's Good

Coach
I worked with an older bloke for a few years & he struggled distinguishing between ‘specific’ & ‘pacific’ as in ‘the pacific part of the strategy....’
I’m not surprised he never climbed the corporate ladder.

Incorrect

Coach
I worked with an older bloke for a few years & he struggled distinguishing between ‘specific’ & ‘pacific’ as in ‘the pacific part of the strategy....’
I’m not surprised he never climbed the corporate ladder.

Mate of mine used to work with a bloke who used to say 'prophetic' instead of 'pathetic'.... He'd say "geez the service at the post office is prophetic"....

Life's Good

Coach
The repeated incorrect use of ‘learning’ & ‘learning curve’.

‘It’s a big learning curve for me’. No it’s not you fool.
‘It’s a big learning for me’

Life's Good

Coach
That makes absolutely no sense. A big learning what?
I’ll spell out below what it represents based my post HS education and various training & development courses.
- ‘Learning curve’ represents the journey you are on.
- ‘Learning’ is acquiring the specific knowledge, skills, experience as part of the journey.
Granted, it may have morphed into something else now but for me that’s what it is.

Bazal

Post Whore
I’ll spell out below what it represents based my post HS education and various training & development courses.
- ‘Learning curve’ represents the journey you are on.
- ‘Learning’ is acquiring the specific knowledge, skills, experience as part of the journey.
Granted, it may have morphed into something else now but for me that’s what it is.

My point is the word learning cannot function as a noun in that sentence the way you've set it up.

It may not be a learning curve (which usually refers to an exponentially increasing level of learning) but it's also not simply a "learning". It needs to be a learning *something*...

Life's Good

Coach
My point is the word learning cannot function as a noun in that sentence the way you've set it up.

It may not be a learning curve (which usually refers to an exponentially increasing level of learning) but it's also not simply a "learning". It needs to be a learning *something*...
True & thats why I mentioned ‘experience, skills, knowledge’ in the context of what is being learned.