Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good luck in winning a title under Mary

Frank Facer

OT, I was born in a different time from you so maybe that has something to do with our different views but here is mine.
I was born in 1976 and went to watch the 1985, 1992, 1993, 1999 GFs to watch us lose.
In 2010 all I cared about was winning the comp. I didn't enjoy the season at all along the way, all I cared about was winning the whole thing.
When we won the premiership I actually felt empty. Like is that it? I didn't feel any special euphoria like I expected.
I told myself in that moment that it is more important to celebrate the week to week wins along the way than just waiting for that elusive premiership.
I am now really enjoying our wins and think we may actually have a shot at going all the way.
It kind of seems from your comments that you are only happy with a premiership and nothing else matters?
I personally enjoy the wins along the way now and if we happen to go all the way thats the ultimate buzz but not the only buzz.....
Crush, I suggest you start backing us to win the comp. That way if we win the comp, you will have a few extra dollars or hopefully a few extra thousand dollars in your pocket and you won't be feeling empty then.

I'm intrigued......how does a coach make a vow to finish in the top 8 every year, but never win a comp? Isn't the plan for all 16 coaches every year to make the top 8, and then try to win the gf? Why would any coach say they would guarantee to never win it? Bizzare! Have you missed a pill today Old Timer?

And here is a tip for you old fella......you have to make the top 8 to actually win a grand final.
Here’s a tip for you, try and follow the thread and read the posts and then make a comment.
Your comments re my post show your inability to comprehend even the most rudimentary conversations
I have simply pushed back on all the warm & fuzzy super optimists who think it is all ok to play well and win games but not be too worried about actually winning the comp.

This Year?

OT, I was born in a different time from you so maybe that has something to do with our different views but here is mine.
I was born in 1976 and went to watch the 1985, 1992, 1993, 1999 GFs to watch us lose.
In 2010 all I cared about was winning the comp. I didn't enjoy the season at all along the way, all I cared about was winning the whole thing.
When we won the premiership I actually felt empty. Like is that it? I didn't feel any special euphoria like I expected.
I told myself in that moment that it is more important to celebrate the week to week wins along the way than just waiting for that elusive premiership.
I am now really enjoying our wins and think we may actually have a shot at going all the way.
It kind of seems from your comments that you are only happy with a premiership and nothing else matters?
I personally enjoy the wins along the way now and if we happen to go all the way thats the ultimate buzz but not the only buzz.....

For me 2010 was a dream come true, From the 1st game when we narrowly beat Parra to giving the Sharks a shellacking and stamping our credentials on Anzac day. We bulldozed the Bulldogs, belted of the Broncos, turned Manly away continuously at the gong, and to top it off received the JJ after the Souths game. There were so many games we just turned up and turned the screws until the opposition couldn't handle the pressure anymore and it was an absolute joy to to watch, We didn't have a Thurston or a Slater or a Smith, We have 25 men who believed in a cause and wouldn't give up on themselves or each other. Then the finals came where we suffocated manly, nervously put a demon from 05 to bed and then came the best day of my life when the wait of a lifetime would finally be over. For me, that day was the reward for sticking solid through everything we have been through as fans of this club and of this game and also something that would ensure I would be for the rest of my life.

Now thats the way you enjoy a season, you remember each win throughout the season and celebrate along the way, the premiership is the grand prize at the end.
Unlike some on here that when we win against the sharks twice they make excuses about how poor our opposition was and how we won't know how we are REALLY GOING until we beat "the top teams" (I think thats Storm, Tigers, Penrith now?)
Sharks, Rabbits, Roosters wins didn't count BTW, those wins give us no indication of how we are REALLY GOING.

ALSGI

Now thats the way you enjoy a season, you remember each win throughout the season and celebrate along the way, the premiership is the grand prize at the end.
Unlike some on here that when we win against the sharks twice they make excuses about how poor our opposition was and how we won't know how we are REALLY GOING until we beat "the top teams" (I think thats Storm, Tigers, Penrith now?)
Sharks, Rabbits, Roosters wins didn't count BTW, those wins give us no indication of how we are REALLY GOING.
Spot on, perfectamundis, brilliant - that is exactly how to enjoy a great year imo.
Remembering games, plays, bouncing back from losses, defying expectactions and taking the Grand Prize at the end.
And that’s exactly the path we’re on atm.
I’m a happy dragon and don’t need to wait till we play the ‘good teams’ and certainly don’t need to spoil what we’re seeing now because of the last few years.
We’re going really well and have a really good team, enjoy it people - don’t miss out on the entree and main before dessert.

Alec's-saints

Spot on, perfectamundis, brilliant - that is exactly how to enjoy a great year imo.
Remembering games, plays, bouncing back from losses, defying expectactions and taking the Grand Prize at the end.
I’m a happy dragon and don’t need to wait till we play the ‘good teams’ and certainly don’t need to spoil what we’re seeing now because of the last few years.
We’re going really well and have a really good team, enjoy it people - don’t miss out on the entree and main before dessert.
desert will taste good September 30

The Damo

Amen brother!

We didn't have a Thurston or a Slater or a Smith, We have 25 men who believed in a cause and wouldn't give up on themselves or each other.

And Wayne Bennett.

You live in fantasy land if you genuinely believe Mary could have delivered the premiership under the exact same circumstances.

And with Mary as coach, despite patches of success (but an overwhelmingly poor record), we'll be waiting another 31 years. But as long as we make the semis during that period, life is otherwise good.

FMD.

Straight Shooter

ALSGI

And Wayne Bennett.

You live in fantasy land if you genuinely believe Mary could have delivered the premiership under the exact same circumstances.

And with Mary as coach, despite patches of success (but an overwhelmingly poor record), we'll be waiting another 31 years. But as long as we make the semis during that period, life is otherwise good.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
Hey Stray Shooter,
Big game coming up against the Storm cheats.
You ditched the Dragons for the cheats a while back, and yet here you are again.
Hope you’re enjoying our Dragons “patches of success”.
What’s your tip against us Dragons?

And Wayne Bennett.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
No dickhead you live in a fantasy land

KiamaSaint

And Wayne Bennett.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
I could be wrong but I think he is shooting at over 50% win-loss ratio.

Alec's-saints

And Wayne Bennett.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
see mate everyone thinks you're a wanker and you're not welcome here. piss off flog

And Wayne Bennett.

FMD.

Straight Shooter

Wayne won us a title for which I will be forever grateful.

Our team is on a very good road to success Be it our halves, our pack or whatever. Recruitment played a huge role.

Can we just enjoy the moment and move on ? Seriously, how's Wayne going now?

Need to move on , without forgetting what Bennett did for us.

Be it Mary or some one else, we are building nicely, so just enjoy the ride .

Frank Facer

And Wayne Bennett.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
I want us to win the comp more than ever, just to prove you wrong. lol