What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good luck in winning a title under Mary

nontime111

Juniors
the Melbourne game coming up is to me, THE single most important game of the last 7 years.....this is OUR greatest test, will we break this crap of always failing at this point? or beat the Storm. If we win it will be like punching a hole through a massive ceiling for the players and would surely give them the confidence for anything

GO DRAGONS U CAN DO IT!!!!

Wayne won us a title for which I will be forever grateful.

Our team is on a very good road to success Be it our halves, our pack or whatever. Recruitment played a huge role.

Can we just enjoy the moment and move on ? Seriously, how's Wayne going now?

Need to move on , without forgetting what Bennett did for us.

Be it Mary or some one else, we are building nicely, so just enjoy the ride .
Well said but I am not prepared to write Wayne off.
Souths have been a very good form line including our win against them.
I think he has already turned things around since round one and depending on injuries, they will be in the mix when the whips are cracking.
Write the wily old fox off at your peril...

ouryears

Bench
And Wayne Bennett.

You live in fantasy land if you genuinely believe Mary could have delivered the premiership under the exact same circumstances.

And with Mary as coach, despite patches of success (but an overwhelmingly poor record), we'll be waiting another 31 years. But as long as we make the semis during that period, life is otherwise good.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
Bennett is a decent coach, however, coaching a team from a one team city of a few million people, plus having access to young potential stars from all the QLD regional towns makes his job almost shit easy.

To then consider the Broncos have all the above at their disposal.... and only win what they have won, I consider it as average to poor.

Brisbane with 1 team would be like Sydney with 2 teams.

Let's combine all Sydney's players into just two teams.. and see what the outcome would be.

Waynes record is barely ok considering the above facts.
Really.....they should have won many more and they haven't.

Wayne is NO GOD.

Bennett is a decent coach, however, coaching a team from a one team city of a few million people, plus having access to young potential stars from all the QLD regional towns makes his job almost shit easy.

To then consider the Broncos have all the above at their disposal.... and only win what they have won, I consider it as average to poor.

Brisbane with 1 team would be like Sydney with 2 teams.

Let's combine all Sydney's players into just two teams.. and see what the outcome would be.

Waynes record is barely ok considering the above facts.
Really.....they should have won many more and they haven't.

Wayne is NO GOD.

I made one simple but true statement. Under the exact same circumstances, Mary could not repeat what Bennett did in 2010. Nor could he win a title for Melbourne last year or the Sharks the year before that. Pretty simple stuff, really.

By the way, and contrary to public opinion, I am 'enjoying the ride' this year. I plan to go to next week's game without the family - partly because only single seats remain in reserved areas but also to focus on the match without distraction. That aside, we should leave no stone unturned in pursuit of a premiership, which the tenure of Mary betrays. Wait to see how quick Roosters turn on Robbo if he doesn't deliver success (and that's higher than what our board considers success). In the end, that's all I'm saying and have always said. Success means different things to different clubs. Heck, it means different things to different fans on this forum. The club would be very different if it was run by Old Timer or Benny V, than it would by the Perth Clown or Alec's-devils.

Straight Shooter

ouryears

Bench
I made one simple but true statement. Under the exact same circumstances, Mary could not repeat what Bennett did in 2010. Nor could he win a title for Melbourne last year or the Sharks the year before that. Pretty simple stuff, really.

By the way, and contrary to public opinion, I am 'enjoying the ride' this year. I plan to go to next week's game without the family - partly because only single seats remain in reserved areas but also to focus on the match without distraction. That aside, we should leave no stone unturned in pursuit of a premiership, which the tenure of Mary betrays. Wait to see how quick Roosters turn on Robbo if he doesn't deliver success (and that's higher than what our board considers success). In the end, that's all I'm saying and have always said. Success means different things to different clubs. Heck, it means different things to different fans on this forum. The club would be very different if it was run by Old Timer or Benny V, than it would by the Perth Clown or Alec's-devils.

Straight Shooter

But what you say is just a guess.
It's not a fact.

Who would have thought that Merkin Flannigan could have won a title?

Or that Ricky could even have won one?

Opinions aren't a fact.

The fact is Mary COULD win one.

The Damo

Juniors

Straight Shooter
To be fair the “exact same circumstances” would mean that Mary had 20 years experience coaching first grade in the by far best resourced club in the country. And he’d inherit an already very good roster. Same applies to Melbourne last year - and frankly with that team he may well have won last year.

Here’s the thing - it is possible to both think the clubs managemnt has been poor, that Mary’s hiring and retention were both bad process and outcome AND be happy when we play well, give credit for improvement and good decisions when they happen, and be hopeful and optimistic about the team and Marys ability to improve as a coach.

You’ve said repeatedly that the Roosters are a better run club, and that winning is most important thing, that 2nd is the same as 16th. No argument that they are better run the we are, but in the last 15 years we’ve got 1 premiership each, and they’ve got a wooden spoon. So on your criteria we’ve been exactly as successful as they are.
Recognising that success as an NRL club is a complex business, and that it’s fun to watch footy and more fun to watch your team win doesnt equal “accepting mediocrity” no matter how many times you repeat it.
Glad you’re enjoying the teams succes dude, long may it continue.

hazzbeen

Bench
To be fair the “exact same circumstances” would mean that Mary had 20 years experience coaching first grade in the by far best resourced club in the country. And he’d inherit an already very good roster. Same applies to Melbourne last year - and frankly with that team he may well have won last year.

Here’s the thing - it is possible to both think the clubs managemnt has been poor, that Mary’s hiring and retention were both bad process and outcome AND be happy when we play well, give credit for improvement and good decisions when they happen, and be hopeful and optimistic about the team and Marys ability to improve as a coach.

You’ve said repeatedly that the Roosters are a better run club, and that winning is most important thing, that 2nd is the same as 16th. No argument that they are better run the we are, but in the last 15 years we’ve got 1 premiership each, and they’ve got a wooden spoon. So on your criteria we’ve been exactly as successful as they are.
Recognising that success as an NRL club is a complex business, and that it’s fun to watch footy and more fun to watch your team win doesnt equal “accepting mediocrity” no matter how many times you repeat it.
Well said Damo ....

TruSaint

Referee
the Melbourne game coming up is to me, THE single most important game of the last 7 years.....this is OUR greatest test, will we break this crap of always failing at this point? or beat the Storm. If we win it will be like punching a hole through a massive ceiling for the players and would surely give them the confidence for anything

GO DRAGONS U CAN DO IT!!!!

Yes and No.

Yes its a big game as " suddenly " Mel have found form and our record against them is abysmal. Having said that, calling it our biggest game in 7 years is a stretch IMHO. Win or lose, if we match these fookers, then I will be content. Staying in the fight, completing well, game management etc. , is something we have lacked against comp favourites in the last few seasons..

I think we can win this, but am more concerned about how be compete post SOO., as our recent history has shown. Be it Mel / or lesser sides, our failure to cap off a good start to the season is my concern. I feel this year we may do so.

Crush

Coach

Excellent post.

nontime111

Juniors
its time.....we buried our super frustrating Melbourne curse! I HATE them!! I was at the ugly game in 2000 standing int he rain getting abuse the whole game as they put 70 or so points on us...I ache for revenge its been too long, cmon guys lets SMASH these cheating jerks and show the world WE are the best league team on earth right now!
GO DRAGONS!!! never forget 99......

This Year?

Immortal
And Wayne Bennett.

You live in fantasy land if you genuinely believe Mary could have delivered the premiership under the exact same circumstances.

And with Mary as coach, despite patches of success (but an overwhelmingly poor record), we'll be waiting another 31 years. But as long as we make the semis during that period, life is otherwise good.

FMD.

Straight Shooter
Bennett is twice the coach Mary is. Imagine what Bennett and the current side would achieve.

MilanDragon

Juniors

Straight Shooter

Your ‘true statement’ is in fact a hypothesis. A hypothesis you can’t prove unless you have a time machine.. which I highly doubt.

What I find really more interesting than anything else in your posts in this thread is that your going to the game without the family. I take it as a good sign the reserved seats are getting sold out.

But for the life of me, I believe it’s much more fun to support your team with family and friends around. You ‘enjoy the ride’ with them and take the emotional roller coaster together. By the sounds of it that you need to watch the game without any distractions sounds like you’re doing this for a job. This whole time I’ve just thought you’re a negative old man that can’t see it any other way and doesn’t want to entertain others’ opinions but now I’m thinking you just need to relax a bit and enjoy supporting the club as a fan.

I love the club too and want what’s best for it but I certainly am enjoying the wins!

This Year?

Immortal
Bennett wouldn't have built this side, he'd have softened the forward pack and stufled Hunt's game some more
I disagree. He would have brought Darius and maybe a prop and 2nd rower put the same left side sweep play. I think his tactics have more to ofder than Mary"s.
Can't agree mate.
Not these day, Wayne isn't the same as he once was.
Check the ladder out....
He may not be but look at the cattle he has and the injury toll too. The bed he has is karma for how he left us and the knights.