What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst players to play Origin

Valheru

Coach
Cordner was defo MOTM for getting knocked out and leaving the field. He almost single handidly turned that game around with a miss tackle on Ponga that almost lead to a try and a missed tackle on Ben Hunt which lead to a break as well. Had he still been on there's no knowing what would have happened haha.

How will you celebrate his impending kangaroos captaincy?

Meth

Staff member
I feel like Dane Nielsen is worth a shot. At the time he was playing for Melbourne, he didn't look out of place. But as soon as he went to another club (the Warriors, and then on to other clubs) he showed himself to be shit.

Meth

Staff member
Also, Casey McGuire? Scott Sattler? Brad Meyers?

and wtf is Russell Bawden?

He will be there for years to come. You will get to witness him lifting the trophy as a SOO winning captain and a potential player of the series winner on July 11.

You are truly blessed.
I can only hope he has a long career in the Australian jersey and maybe former Roosters golden boy Pearce can join him as well - I'm a kiwi, would definitely be a bonus for us but tbh he probably doesn't have that much more time then Greg Inglis which is probably why Greg will end up getting the captaincy.

stryker

First Grade
I agree with Brett Hodgson. He was a dumpster fire at origin level.
So was Pearce, Woods, Ennis, Hunt etc...

One big name player who only impressed me in one series and was average or worse every other year was Joey. His origin career was a myth.

Reactions: gUt

mxlegend99

Referee
Mitchell Pearce forthe amount of series played and lost without a win is hard to match.

Although if he wasnt dropped in 2014 he would be joined by the likes of Paul Gallen, Jarryd Hayne and Robbie Farah. Probably a few others who would have no series wins for 5 or more series losses too.

Hayne deserved a series win though. He was great for a long time through a very dark period. Just a shame Gallen was part of it. Him hogging the ball didn't help our cause.

davi

Juniors
There's a difference between worst players and worst performances. Eg saw Nathan Merritt mentioned here - had an awful SOO but IMO one of the best wingers of his time.

Nathan Merritt had a terrible origin but you are right he could play. Fullback was his best position though, he was pushed to wing because Greg Inglis got moved to fullback. I remember when Inglis was injured and Merritt got to play fullback and he calved up the Tigers.

davi

Juniors
Aidan Guerra
Chris McQueen
Ty Williams

No way would I put Aiden Guerra and Chris McQueen on the list. It's easy to look at them in their twilight years and say they sux but they played 16 state of origin games between them. Hardly scrapping at the bottom barrel oncers. Guerra also played a test match for Australia as well.

myrrh ken

First Grade
He was a good utility in the early stages but that has been consigned to distant memory by all his later ball hogging out of position tryhard captain from the bench crap pèrformances.

typicalfan

Coach
I agree with Brett Hodgson. He was a dumpster fire at origin level.
So was Pearce, Woods, Ennis, Hunt etc...

One big name player who only impressed me in one series and was average or worse every other year was Joey. His origin career was a myth.
Hodgson was best player on the field game 1 2002

Latest posts