What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Oates

Drag Queen

Bench
Happy for him to replace Nightingale/Pereira, but am I one of the only people who is a fan of MacDonald? I think he makes great metres off kick returns, and early in sets, as well as being a great finisher, also pokes his head as a support runner frequently enough, just needs to work on taking high balls as well as not jamming in in defence (partly due to having Aitken inside him)
Hit the nail on the head. Imagine him in full form.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would assume that if he came McDonald would go to the Cowboys.
There is talk of McDonald going to the Cowboys, but hopefully we do keep him for at least another year. I don't mind the idea of McDonald and Oates as our wingers, but if I was coach, I would give each of the a run at centre and be looking for another decent winger if one of them were to be a success there.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Happy for him to replace Nightingale/Pereira, but am I one of the only people who is a fan of MacDonald? I think he makes great metres off kick returns, and early in sets, as well as being a great finisher, also pokes his head as a support runner frequently enough, just needs to work on taking high balls as well as not jamming in in defence (partly due to having Aitken inside him)
I am a fan of Nene as well ....just wished he had a little more urgency in his game (if he did this he could be anything)....and as you say needs work on taking high balls instead of just trying to batter them back most of the time

BLM01

First Grade
I would assume that if he came McDonald would go to the Cowboys.
Agree and I would take Oates to replace him. Nene is too inconsistent for me and made 2 big errors last weekend (he played good the rest and errors lucky did not cost us) Some of Nene's instinctive off the cuff play is not the best for the team or it is a wrong play at the wrong time....so brain explosion stuff
But as someone else said Oates handling can be a worry at times and he cant turn and chase as fast as a lot of the top wingers. Wonder why Brisbane dont want him?. Unless others are offering way too much...hmmm .
But I like Periera's strong efforts. He will get better with more 1st grade experience

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Broncos winger Corey Oates confirms interest from four rival NRL clubs
Broncos
john_dean.jpg

138bb1a3cba8df21577b08947743e6ba

Corey Oates of the Broncos has a big decision to make on his future.Source: AAP
COREY Oates has confirmed he’s received interest from at least four NRL clubs, including St George Illawarra and Gold Coast.

The off-contract Brisbane winger is yet to put pen to paper with a club for next year and beyond, mainly due to switching management mid-season.

With that now settled and the Broncos out of the finals, talks are expected to ramp up.

698375_640x360_large_20180912201950.jpg

Oates talks playing future

1:33
Semi Final
The Broncos are keen to retain the 23-year-old, but they’ll have a fight on their hands.

Get ready for cricket like never before. FREE Sport HD + Entertainment until the first 4K cricket ball as part of 3 months free on a 12 month plan. SIGN UP TODAY. T&Cs apply.

“There’s obviously a few clubs out there that are interested,” Oates told League Life.

“It’s been a tough year for me with the contract and leaving my manager.

“That was something I didn’t think was going to escalate so much. I didn’t think it was going to drag on for as long as it did. That sort of surprised me a lot and shocked me.

“I haven’t really had many formal offers.”

55b4204ce7cbb795dd705a07942cb051

Corey Oates in action during a Brisbane Broncos training session.Source: AAP
The Queensland Origin flyer reportedly turned down an offer from Canterbury worth upwards of $800,000 per season, with the club prepared to let him switch to the back row, a position he played as a junior.

When asked about the Bulldogs, Oates replied: “I only got emailed. I never saw a contract on paper.

“That was just an email with what they were looking at paying me and it was nowhere near what the papers were saying, I can tell you that much.

“But otherwise I haven’t really received any other formal offers from other clubs at the moment.”

Asked about reported interest from the Dragons, Oates said: “There has been interest. Titans, I think yes. Cowboys, there was a bit of interest, but I think they’ve gone shopping elsewhere, I’m not too sure.

“It’s scary for me, but also exciting because I’m starting to feel like I’m getting a lot better with my football and preparing a lot better.

“It’s a big year coming up next year, and it’s a big part of your career (at age) 24, 25, 26.”

893543db14ae6ed808241a41c503cfbf

Corey Oates of the Broncos in action.Source: AAP
Oates’ positional future has come under much conjecture this season after the powerhouse declared his intentions to move into the second row earlier this year.

While Oates said those plans were true “to an extent”, he’s since shelved them after a chat with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

“When I came out in the media and said I wanted to play back row next year, I really do want to see myself in the back row at some stage in my career,” Oates said.

“Wayne pulled me aside after that and said ‘you’re playing wing aren’t ya?’ and I told him I really am happy playing wing now and I’m really starting to enjoy my football. And then he goes ‘righto, well let’s have a bit of fun with it’.

“But I really do want to make the move back eventually, but I’m not too keen to do that too soon. Hopefully in two or three years time when the body gets a bit older.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a5a14856afa1f68e8cb7e81920797f66
Thanks for info...interesting

willzy91

Juniors
if he knocked back 800K from the Dogs what is his asking price? I would love to see him in the Red V but I hope they don't spend that much on a winger.

From what I recall the 800k from the dogs was as a second row forward not as a winger. I’m sure the dragons will submit an offer with a back ended contract to pay him more as a back row when he eventually moves there, but for now will get paid what he’s worth as a winger, we all very well remember the B Morris and Dugan debacles of paying overs for backs so they won’t make that mistake again.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Don't want him. Big petulant sook based on last Sundays performance. I've also seen him play some absolute shockers over the years so a rocks and diamonds type player.

Haven't we got any decent juniors coming through who can play wing?

Latest posts