1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Corey Oates

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by willzy91, Sep 12, 2018.

1. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

He is still young enough , another player that has not reached his potential but will in time . A season ago I thought he was rubbish , but slowly showing glimpses of what he can do ....

j0nesy likes this.
  2. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Mate he would be a great asset to our back line ..... Corey and Dufty linking up , potent. .. .

3. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Agree,
    Why not both.

hazzbeen likes this.
  4. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

o_Oo_Oo_O

5. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

You can never have too many players, or too much room under the salary cap, that’s the Roosters motto.
    At this stage they are just signing players so no one else can have them.

6. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

Perhaps but if for whatever reason we were chasing Bmoz mid-season still exists, then Oates should be our no. 1 target as he is clearly the best winger on the market.

Offers so much more than Tupou for example and he is still contracted anyhow...

blacksafake, SEAT 1A and hazzbeen like this.
  7. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Wasn't the high ball takes a feature of his game when he was at the Titans ?

Drakon, dragonssamy61 and blacksafake like this.
  8. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Noticed in the game on sunday hunt tackles Oates ,and then helps him up .there was a lot of respect for each other .........sign him up

9. Mickthedragon

Mickthedragon Juniors

This is probably just to bump up his next contract but if its true that we're a chance, i hope we get him.

10. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Ummmmm yeah, we did start the season kicking for him, then stopped when he didn’t catch any.

Drakon likes this.
  11. SEAT 1A

SEAT 1A Juniors

To early to get my hopes up just yet and have no idea how it works however, if he is after a formal offer then give him one.

Seems to play with a straight bat so, I hope we put the cards on the table.

12. SEAT 1A

SEAT 1A Juniors

That's true Red V.

Can't see Titans, Cows, Dogs or the giant BNE offering something the Dragons can't.

13. ebbedfred

ebbedfred Bench

The fact he has come out and named the clubs interested in him to me is not a good sign. He is letting Brisbane know he has spoken to clubs and he's mentioned clubs to show he isn't bluffing.

He obviously wants to stay in Brisbane, but they may not be able to afford him, which begs the question, how much is is asking and are we willing to spend that on a winger?

He'd be a great player for us, but would depend on the price tag as to whether he is worth it. Lot's of big, fast wingers in the world coming through.

Drakon and watatank like this.
  14. mobels

mobels Juniors

Nene and Oates on the wings along with our forward pack would be amazing, it'd allow us to easily roll up the field.

We'd almost be unstoppable playing the power game with him.

j0nesy, Belta, roach_83 and 2 others like this.
  15. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Saints will either have Nene or Oats. I think they would only go for Oats if Nene goes to the Cowboys which makes sense. If they both stay that is crazy as they have some good youngsters coming through.

16. ALSGI

ALSGI Bench

If we’re in the market for Oates why didn’t we keep Herbet. Not saying he’s as good as Oates (yet) but he would have come a lot cheaper with plenty of upside as to potential and positions he could play.

17. giboz71

giboz71 First Grade

A poster in JA said Benny Hornby was seen having a quiiet word to Val Holmes.

Not sure if there’s anything in it, but any cash we’re setting aside for a guy like Oates would surely be gone if we made a play for Holmes.

Whatever happens, the fact we’re talking about guys like Oates and Holmes is surely a good sign for next year.

Perhaps the days of shit slow backs stinking up our backline are over?

ouryears, LINESPEED and Smurf like this.
  18. Datramp

Datramp Juniors

Surely if he wants to play back row some day coming to a club where he can learn from the best back row in the competition has to be enticing

ouryears likes this.
  19. brokendigit

brokendigit Juniors

Too many QLD'ers in the team already There's Ben Hunt, and that's one too many.

ALSGI likes this.
  20. Belta

Belta Juniors

I like your sentiments in relation to up and coming juniors, and I’ve agreed with such sentiments for a long time, however the problem I keep seeing with our backs is a shortage of potential ISP first graders hitting their straps in first grade. We end up not changing our line up anyway. We continually use the same backs, which for the most part are a tad below the top teams.

Most of the top teams replenish thier stocks, some more than others, lookMelbourne, Souths, Cronulla, Roosters many have recruited well established proven stars of the game..

I do concede through injuries we’ve added Lomax and JP, so I’m not saying buy a host of backs but one winger, shouldn’t block too many, whilst keeping us up there.

j0nesy, ouryears and ALSGI like this.