What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Oates

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Bennett at Saints is a case of “been there/done that. He ain’t coming back.

“Village Idiot” suits you perfectly
Just like Bennett at Brisbane was a case of "been there/done that".

(note the closed quotation marks)

SGMax

Juniors
Don't mind Oates, a good strong runner and seems a decent character.
Hope we don't pay too much for him. Nowhere near whats being reported.
As a maximum, I suggest $400k or less.
The only winger I would pay more for would be Rapana if he is still an option.
Rapana would be an incredible signing. Not sure how he came to be discussed for a mid season switch.

What I did notice during Saturday's game was the friendliness between various Saints players and Oates.
Some pleasant interaction at several points during the game.
Could suggest that they are more familiar with Corey than they officially let on???

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Bennett is from Brisbane (or,hadn’t you noticed?).

It was always a safe bet he would return to the Broncos,
To retire, perhaps.. To coach the Broncos again, hardly a safe bet.

But yet, now he's leaving his "safe bet" again...

Out of curiosity, Trent Barrett is from down our way. Is it a safe bet he's coming back here?

gregstar

Referee
creeping was coming back to us after his knights stint. the deal was all but done until lachlan murdoch intervened and paid his way back to the drongos.

so why would he not return to us?
he was before.

possm

Coach
Can guarantee if Bennett comes Widdop goes straight to No.1 and Hunt will occassionally shift to hooker .
Pangai
Oates

will follow...but cant see Mcgregor going

Interesting Mickeylane. I would say that Bennett only played Widdop at fullback because he lost his first choice fullback in the World Cup series. Again when he lost his first choice hooker he went for Hunt.

I hope that our first choice fullback will be fit and ready in 2019 and I'd say our second choice would be Lomax rather than Widdop. Same goes for McInnes and Robson.

Oats and Pangai would be great pickups. This only makes the idea of signing Bennett even more attractive. Wingers Oats and Macdonald, props Vaughan, Graham, K Sims and Pangai. Second row T Sims, Frizell, Leilua and Host. Lock De Belin and Sele. What a pack of forwards. So in 2019 in the forwards it will be:

Rotation, Rotation and Rotation!

possm

Coach
Because he's potentially leaving next year or the year after..

And we have a coach with a contract that expires next year...

Simple sum for you:

1 + 1 =

a) 2
b) 4
c) potato

Bennett is likely to make an announcement after the Grand Final. So there is a possibility that he will move to a new club - hopefully the Dragons - on 1 Nov 2018.

The knives are out and Brisbane want him gone. Now it's only a matter of when and how much to terminate him. Doust and Young have already met with him prior to the last time we played the Broncos. Doust would see his appointment as a positive given the results last time round and Young wants his son Dean to follow Bennett as head coach. All makes sense to me.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Out of curiosity, Trent Barrett is from down our way. Is it a safe bet he's coming back here?

He’s leaving his “safe bet” but not on his own terms. It’s a bit of a major difference, wouldn’t you say?

Barrett? Do you mean the same one bloke from Manly, who HASN’T coached at the Dragons previously?

Not quite a safe bet, I imagine.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
creeping was coming back to us after his knights stint. the deal was all but done until lachlan murdoch intervened and paid his way back to the drongos.

so why would he not return to us?
he was before.

2010 (the 31-year drought had been broken)?

Or, as Bennett said, “the job has been done”?

mickeylane

Bench
Don't mind Oates, a good strong runner and seems a decent character. Hope we don't pay too much for him. Nowhere near whats being reported. As a maximum, I suggest $400k or less. The only winger I would pay more for would be Rapana if he is still an option. Rapana would be an incredible signing. Not sure how he came to be discussed for a mid season switch. What I did notice during Saturday's game was the friendliness between various Saints players and Oates. Some pleasant interaction at several points during the game. Could suggest that they are more familiar with Corey than they officially let on???

Brutalitops

Juniors
Did anyone notice the shove Oates gave Nene when he was on the way to the bin? Not noice.
I loved it. Whether it's our team or not, I can't stand the slow walk along the sideline during a bin, instead of just taking a step to the side and getting on with it. Especially annoying when the player is smiling about it like Nene was.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He’s leaving his “safe bet” but not on his own terms. It’s a bit of a major difference, wouldn’t you say?

So by your logic, if he’s gone from Brisbane, and we offer the biggest cheque and have the highest chance of winning a premiership with our roster, he won’t come here because he’s been here before.

I would say i’d be puzzled by your logic, but then I remember you’re the guy who thinks smartphones are mechanical and doesn’t believe in the number zero..

Latest posts