What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
I have read/heard that Newcastle intend to play Ponga 5/8 next year.
That is what worries me with Brown and todays modern thinking with players and could be a wrong decision for the Knights. Brown has said he is leaving it up to Ponga to decide if he wants to play 6 or 1. Ponga might suffer 2nd year syndrome... but boy he was the talent king of 2018.
I will also have egg splattered all over my face if Dufty suffers 2nd year syndrome too but have the oil ready..

BLM01

First Grade
Looks like a young Jeremy Latimore or Isaah Yeo. Bit lanky and gangly runner more like a back rower but still young I suppose. Wkat year was the highlights from?, certainly not 2018. Nothing exciting except maybe for ISP
2015 highlights oh dear!. Surely we are not signing him.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am not so sure. There was a reason Bellamy let him go after playing and trying him at centre and wing. he wont be a fullback or a 5/8th in todays game as does not have the vision needed. Canberra I reckon were crazy to let Austin go. I guess Mann as much as he has heart, he is just a square peg in a round hole position.

Well there is no doubting that he does indeed possess heart and as you have said BLMO1 he does seem like a peg in a square hole , but I do put that down to his lack of a permanent position in the squad .

There were so many times over the last few seasons that there were a number of our backs simply not performing , yet the maestro continually selected the beggars instead of dropping them .

That was the time when Kurt Mann should had been given his opportunity - and by that I mean not only for one match , but to really allow him the chance of showing his true ability ( or lack off ) thus either cementing that regular spot in the team or being dropped , but at the very least give him the chance .

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Well there is no doubting that he does indeed possess heart and as you have said BLMO1 he does seem like a peg on a square hole , but I do put that down to his lack of a permanent position in the squad .

There were so many times over the last few seasons that there were a number of our backs simply not performing , yet the maestro continually selected the beggars instead of dropping them .

That was the time when Kurt Mann should had been given his opportunity - and by that I mean not only for one match , but to really allow him the chance of showing his true ability ( or lack off ) thus either cementing that regular spot in the team or being dropped , but at the very least give him the chance .
Mann has been unfairly treated, problem for him, he was seen as a utility or Mr Fix it, when he should have had a starting position, problem was that Lafai & Aitken can only play one position and are no use on the bench and Mary was not going to play them in ISP, whereas Mann can fill that bench spot and covers 1-7 plus 13, he needs to do what is best for hes career, hopefully doesn't spend it on the bench.

Mann has been unfairly treated, problem for him, he was seen as a utility or Mr Fix it, when he should have had a starting position, problem was that Lafai & Aitken can only play one position and are no use on the bench and Mary was not going to play them in ISP, whereas Mann can fill that bench spot and covers 1-7 plus 13, he needs to do what is best for hes career, hopefully doesn't spend it on the bench.

The article suggests Browny will play Mann at 9 if he signs with Newcastle.

Very versatile, which has ultimately been his downfall.

BLM01

First Grade
Well there is no doubting that he does indeed possess heart and as you have said BLMO1 he does seem like a peg on a square hole , but I do put that down to his lack of a permanent position in the squad .

I agree and I like your name. When I see you name I'm imagining I am talking to Widdop. But for me his best position was as a winger but not fast or tall. Centre at Melb and Saints he had a few defensive errors in him but I could have had him as our centre in lieu of underperformers to cement a spot. He was Ok at wing as well but that is where it stops with him for me.

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree and I like your name. When I see you name I'm imagining I am talking to Widdop. But for me his best position was as a winger but not fast or tall. Centre at Melb and Saints he had a few defensive errors in him but I could have had him as our centre in lieu of underperformers to cement a spot. He was Ok at wing as well but that is where it stops with him for me.

Oh how I wish I had that chaps lovely black/ blonde locks and his contract BLMO1 . But you are quite right , he did prove that the wing position was one that he was quite comfortable with , good defense and my goodness he scored a number of tries from there also . I think that the Dragons have lost some good talent over the last few years and we can only hope that for once they are replaced with players that can help the joint venture to a premiership.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Oh how I wish I had that chaps lovely black/ blonde locks and his contract BLMO1 . But you are quite right , he did prove that the wing position was one that he was quite comfortable with , good defense and my goodness he scored a number of tries from there also . I think that the Dragons have lost some good talent over the last few years and we can only hope that for once they are replaced with players that can help the joint venture to a premiership.
I agree and if reports are true I think and hope that we see our defeciencies on the flanks and buy some genuine fillers but not holding my breath. You can always find another MANN type player. Widdop had to have lost a bet to do that to his hair although wont admit it or an experiment gone horribly wrong. Whatever it was the beginning of the real nose dive of our launch for a Top 4 spot

Drag Queen

Bench
I agree and if reports are true I think and hope that we see our defeciencies on the flanks and buy some genuine fillers but not holding my breath. You can always find another MANN type player. Widdop had to have lost a bet to do that to his hair although wont admit it or an experiment gone horribly wrong. Whatever it was the beginning of the real nose dive of our launch for a Top 4 spot
I can't believe how much you guys (presuming you're a bloke) go on about hair. So what! At least he has some:D

SaintPauli

Juniors
The article suggests Browny will play Mann at 9 if he signs with Newcastle.

Very versatile, which has ultimately been his downfall.
And Browny is right. Mann will make a great no. 9. Great defender , a kicking game that will further develope with good coaching and ability to run out of dummy half with a decent step. Hope Browny picks him up for "Manns" own career alone.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Yes, Mann has beeen royally f**kced around since he got to us. Mary has had Marketo, Bunji, McCrone in the 13 ahead of him, more recently out of form Nighty, Aitken and Lafai.
Good luck to him.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Absolute joke how Mann has been treated by McGregor, he should have been in the side every week and even if there was a injury inside him then move him around.
Aitkin and Lafai need to be let go before Mann. Our centre pairing next should be Mann on the left and Lomax right.
We still should be trying to buy a top quality outside back, one who can play fullback or centre.

BLM01

First Grade
I can't believe how much you guys (presuming you're a bloke) go on about hair. So what! At least he has some:D
What you dont get DQ (and assuming you are not a bloke) is the great Wayne Bennett once said about (player name escapes me who had long hair and made him cut it as like Widdop was not in form at the time) "if he is worrying about his hair his focus can not be on game preparation". We just got smashed having 50 put on us by Melb which Widdop was a part of in Round 17. It was poor timing by Widdop to turn up after a bye against the Tigers thats all.with everyone focussed on his hair (including the blokes in the media from Channel 9).. and his and the teams form rot continued until the Broncos finals game. Just the irony of it, not a focus and honestly could not give a rats about what colour his hair is but it was a shocka and he is in the public eye for comment. I have hair by the way but cant speak for all. :)

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mary has stated that he really admires Mann and is a key to the squad. As stated above he is so versatile and can play many positions so has him as his Mr Fixit. But if Mann want's a permanent spot then god Mary just give him one and not wait for injury. Personally I would love the see Mann and Lomax as our next centre pairing. AItken to play the Mann role and get him to play multiple positions. He may do allright as a backrower. Lafai should be backup centre.

Worst case put Mann on the wing in Nighty's spot.

Latest posts