What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Whilst there was no major difference in the squad from year to year, there was a difference in the roles that certain players were given and there was also a player who was no longer trying to impress, as they were seen as being "the man" in 2018.

To my way of thinking once you have identified the cause, you cut it out. Simple.

Did you miss the departure of Semi? While only one bloke, he was the difference between a lot of our 2017 wins and a narrow loss.

emjaycee

Coach
Did you miss the departure of Semi? While only one bloke, he was the difference between a lot of our 2017 wins and a narrow loss.
No but like a lot of more experienced and better judges, before the season commenced I negated the loss of Semi to a certain extent with the recruitment of Hayne.

No but like a lot of more experienced and better judges, before the season commenced I negated the loss of Semi to a certain extent with the recruitment of Hayne.

Hayne certainly did ok when fit. But, do you reckon that his contribution was anything like that of Semi in 2017?

strider

Post Whore
If Peter Peters could piss the petulant little pissant peasants off, how many petulant little pissant peasants would Peter Peters piss off?
I was actually trialling tobe an honourary balkan ... did i pass avenger?

My ex balkan bro inlaw always called people peasants as a put down .... it always cracked me up .... arent we all peasants?

In hindsight no, however I honestly don't think the problem in 2018 was with the roster but rather it was with performance and the cause of that wasn't Semi leaving.

Yeh, I think it's usually a bit of both. As well as the try-scoring stuff, Semi helped us to succeed with a pack of non-giant size. We didn't replace any of that go forward after receiving kicks. That and the decline of Scott, and a few untimely injuries seem to have done as much damage as the two clowns in the halves.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was actually trialling tobe an honourary balkan ... did i pass avenger?

My ex balkan bro inlaw always called people peasants as a put down .... it always cracked me up .... arent we all peasants?

The funniest part is with Avenger and me. He calls me a peasant.
Look it is very funny.

Chipmunk

Coach
When carrying out root cause analysis of any problem, one of the things you do is compare situations and look for variances in the environment. If you compare our 2017 and 2018 performance (4th v 16th) and agree that form and attitude were two big reasons for the different outcome, then you need to look at what changed in the environment that may have caused this.

Whilst there was no major difference in the squad from year to year, there was a difference in the roles that certain players were given and there was also a player who was no longer trying to impress, as they were seen as being "the man" in 2018.

To my way of thinking once you have identified the cause, you cut it out. Simple.

No major differences?

If you think Semi wasn't a major contributor to our success in 2017 you've got rocks in your head.

Gutherson was also a key member of the team in 2017 who missed the first third of the season and was still recovering from his ACL injury for the rest of the season.

Brown and The Plane spent alot of time on the sideline the first half of the season.

We were out of the race for the Top 8 by the end of May.

emjaycee

Coach
No major differences?

If you think Semi wasn't a major contributor to our success in 2017 you've got rocks in your head.

Gutherson was also a key member of the team in 2017 who missed the first third of the season and was still recovering from his ACL injury for the rest of the season.

Brown and The Plane spent alot of time on the sideline the first half of the season.

We were out of the race for the Top 8 by the end of May.
I never said Semi wasn't a contributor in 2017.
And for the record, Gutho returned in Round 6, so missed closer to a 5th of the season oot a 3rd. When Brown got injured we were 0-5 and our season was already gone.

Chipmunk

Coach
And for the record, Gutho returned in Round 6, so missed closer to a 5th of the season oot a 3rd. When Brown got injured we were 0-5 and our season was already gone.

If I'm right we didn't have more than one of our best three contributors from 2017 on the field until at least round 10 of 2018. Obviously at no stage did we get all three.

emjaycee

Coach
If I'm right we didn't have more than one of our best three contributors from 2017 on the field until at least round 10 of 2018. Obviously at no stage did we get all three.
If you are talking Brown, Gutho and Semi, it was round 13 when Brown came back from injury that we first had him and Gutho on the field at the same time.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
From memory that was around the same time that Chipmunk had his hissy fit and told us all to get f**ked.

Speaking from the heart here but I genuinely cannot remember ever feeling this less interested heading into a preseason.

I lovely the Eels dearly but geez I think things are glum at our club heading into next season. I don’t even dare to Dream this year.

We're obviously not odds-on for a top 4 position, but we are absolutely in the mix to make the lower end of the 8. Thus far we've lost nobody of significance from 2017 and have added some useful NRL level players. Unlike our wooden spoon seasons from the Kearney era, we were competitive in the vast majority of games this year.

Latest posts