What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

stryker

First Grade
Yes but....."had to terminate Anthony Griffin's position as head coach immediately because Ivan was going to talk to the Tigers"....remember that ?..that never made any sense to anybody at the time but it kinda would if they were given a no time to think ultimatum . ...or at least an ultimatum was inferred ...(." Nathan goes to the Tigers or i come back on these terms and you have till tomorrow ") and made a panicked decision....the Cleary's...formerly humiliated and sleighted Ivan and squeaky clean SOO half ..boy next door Nathan held ALL the cards in this mini series from day one...they knew it and Gus would have...i think he's been checkmated.....go back and listen to the various comments and statements from that perspective and it nearly all adds up. Gould is an intelligent and experienced media operator...the pure volume of gobbledigook from him from Griffin till now just didn't add up...but maybe it does.
* For amusement purposes only
I dont know if this is correct....but id like to think it is accurate lol. Screw Gould.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
If the Dogs were to take Reynolds back I wonder what chance we would be of getting Shaun Johnson as a 5/8 to play alongside Brooks, Madge has direct access to him and also will be able to make a good assessment of him whilst coaching at NZ.
I think if we got him and said just play a running 5/8 game, Brooksy will look after the team, I think he would flourish. The biggest problem he has at the Warriors is the pressure to run the team, his stregth is playing what he see's.

JB04

Juniors
If the Dogs were to take Reynolds back I wonder what chance we would be of getting Shaun Johnson as a 5/8 to play alongside Brooks, Madge has direct access to him and also will be able to make a good assessment of him whilst coaching at NZ.
I think if we got him and said just play a running 5/8 game, Brooksy will look after the team, I think he would flourish. The biggest problem he has at the Warriors is the pressure to run the team, his stregth is playing what he see's.
Couldn’t agree more. Would almost have the feel of a Prince/Marshall combination

Tiger Ted

Bench
Between Clearys outrageous purchase price re an injury prone Reynolds & Isaac moses’s Inevitable over-inflated value attached to Brooks as of tomorrow when he will cunningly create a bidding war for his services & a new coach with specific preferences re his 6 & 7 we can expect plenty of melodrama pertaining to who we end up with as our halves for season ‘20.

Tiger05

First Grade
Between Clearys outrageous purchase price re an injury prone Reynolds & Isaac moses’s Inevitable over-inflated value attached to Brooks as of tomorrow when he will cunningly create a bidding war for his services & a new coach with specific preferences re his 6 & 7 we can expect plenty of melodrama pertaining to who we end up with as our halves for season ‘20.

Let's wait and see what happens. I now have no tolerance for players wanting to get the best possible deal down to the last centre and they choose to screw us over. If this happens I think we should just pull the contract.

I also really want Brooks to stay but if there is one thing we've learnt from the 3 merkins who left us it is that players and their managers exaggerate how good they are and how much they are worth. Woods and Moses both pushed their respective teams down last year. They were terrible signings. Tedesco is a star player who is being paid under the table and who also comes across as an immature spoilt brat. We could use Tedesco on the field but I can understand having a no DH policy and he will never play for a team with that policy.

WT2K

Juniors
Brent Read on triple m podcast saying watch for the Tigers to make a play for Lachlan Fitzgibbon. says that the price his management is asking for he wont be in Newcastle.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Brent Read on triple m podcast saying watch for the Tigers to make a play for Lachlan Fitzgibbon. says that the price his management is asking for he wont be in Newcastle.
That fits the bill, as long as we don't pay overs. Rumours of Dylan Walker also who played his best footy under Madge. With Matterson already on board the team is building nicely.

WT2K

Juniors
That fits the bill, as long as we don't pay overs. Rumours of Dylan Walker also who played his best footy under Madge. With Matterson already on board the team is building nicely.
That walker rumour won't go away and if reports are true, Manly are looking at offloading a few players to free up cap space.

Vic Mackey

Referee

We have heaps of Fitzgibbon type players. He’s an ok first grader but will never be of rep standard. Matterson is already a better player then him and still has potential. Lawrence is a better player then him. I’d have him slightly ahead of MCK. We need a marquee forward who can bend the line, not another alright first grader.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Would love to see Shaun Johnson at 6 with Brooks, but I don't want to write off Reynolds. The poor bloke had a shocking year of injuries, lets see if he can bounce back.

McQueen will have a full off-season under Madge, if we see him return to his old Souths form then f**king fantastic. If he doesn't, then he needs to be moved on and that cap money spent on a new back rower

It's also make or break for Liddle. He's been given benefit of the doubt due to injuries (and because he genuinely looks f**king good) but if he can't play a full season he will be no more than a depth player

I'm hearing that George Burgess might move on from South (probably complete rumour). If true, Madge should target the f**k out of him...he's exactly what we need. Same with Taupau, if he is on the outer sign him up but please please play to his strengths as bench impact

Re: Dylan Walker, would take him in a heartbeat but isn't he strictly a right side centre? If he can play left then sweet because we aren't moving Marsters for anything.

stryker

First Grade
Brooks cant run a team. He is an eyes up runner as well. This combination would not work.

Fordy20

Juniors
We have heaps of Fitzgibbon type players. He’s an ok first grader but will never be of rep standard. Matterson is already a better player then him and still has potential. Lawrence is a better player then him. I’d have him slightly ahead of MCK. We need a marquee forward who can bend the line, not another alright first grader.

Agreed. We have a bunch of second rowers at the moment and I wouldn't be impressed with signing more unless it was someone Tyson Frizell. I'm still concerned about our prop situation. Twal, Packer and Matulino are great, but we still don't have anyone that replaces Sue, Grant and Felise. Clarke and Mikaele are young and untested, Eisenhuth is a pillow and Cleary couldn't seem to decide if Aloiai was a middle or an edge player.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Agreed. We have a bunch of second rowers at the moment and I wouldn't be impressed with signing more unless it was someone Tyson Frizell. I'm still concerned about our prop situation. Twal, Packer and Matulino are great, but we still don't have anyone that replaces Sue, Grant and Felise. Clarke and Mikaele are young and untested, Eisenhuth is a pillow and Cleary couldn't seem to decide if Aloiai was a middle or an edge player.

I think Aloiai will flourish under Maguire. He likes the big aggressive style forwards. Think he’ll fit into our prop rotation. Mikaele looks good and is in a simile vein, however has less mistakes from what I’ve seen. Clarke looks ordinary in NSW Cup, thanks for the parting gift Ivan

Tiger05

First Grade

I basically agree with you. We need a couple of those guys to come on. I think our top line props being Twal, Packer and Matulino is an issue. Maybe Aloiai, Mikaele or Eisenhuth come on. I reckon we need a big prop to replace ET because he doesn't do enough work in attack or some of those players made significant gains. I hope we get another quality prop or lock prior to the season starting.

gordsy

Juniors
I don't think we have the cap space to go really hard for huge signings.
Packer, Matalino, Mybe and Reynolds are all on good cash plus the other guys we signed.
Going hard for Walker, Kapow, Burgess thinking that we are one or two players off a premiership is crazy.
From memory , ever since the Nrl adopted the new finals system, every team that has won the como has come from the top 4 and we aren't top and Burgess and Kapow won't get us into the top 4 .
Hopefully Madge can fix up our junior systems which seem to have really dropped away in the past few years.