What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

possm

Coach
Kerr has the large frame and seems to have the mind to make it to first grade. But talking the talk is not walking the walk and so I will be patiently to wee if he steps up.

One wonders why SGI don't appoint a personal mentor to players like Kerr to help them step up. The idea of a well know first grade prop to come in and to help him progress to the very best he can be would be a great idea.

BLM01

First Grade
Kerr has the large frame and seems to have the mind to make it to first grade. But talking the talk is not walking the walk and so I will be patiently to wee if he steps up.

One wonders why SGI don't appoint a personal mentor to players like Kerr to help them step up. The idea of a well know first grade prop to come in and to help him progress to the very best he can be would be a great idea.
POSSM..without spending too much cash, your coaching staff and senior players in the same position should be able to fill that request...if not there is something wrong

Old Timer

Coach

I though that is the real reason why we signed Latimore.
I am also sure if Kerr went to Graham and said "can I spend some time doing extras with you" he would get a positive response.
Not everything is the clubs fault or responsibility the players have enough time on their hands if they know how to use it correctly.

True_Believer

Juniors
I though that is the real reason why we signed Latimore.
I am also sure if Kerr went to Graham and said "can I spend some time doing extras with you" he would get a positive response.
Not everything is the clubs fault or responsibility the players have enough time on their hands if they know how to use it correctly.

You only have to look at those interviews with Blocker talking about working back with Jammer. Irrespective of whether Jammer offered or Blocker asked, the initiative was there and it's obviously paying off.

You are right, the players have to also show their hand and make a move to improve themselves. I doubt Jammer would be selective in who he helps - it's really up to the players to start the ball rolling.

I believe Kerr was also injured for periods of last year. That may have hampered his progress somewhat.

ALSGI

Bench
You only have to look at those interviews with Blocker talking about working back with Jammer. Irrespective of whether Jammer offered or Blocker asked, the initiative was there and it's obviously paying off.

You are right, the players have to also show their hand and make a move to improve themselves. I doubt Jammer would be selective in who he helps - it's really up to the players to start the ball rolling.

I believe Kerr was also injured for periods of last year. That may have hampered his progress somewhat.
Yep, injuries and he talked about some personal issues this year so let’s hope it all turns around. He certainly sounded positive so let’s hope we have another star forward in the making.

With KSimms, Leilua, Lawrie, Host, Latimore, Kerr and even Robson there should be no reason for burn out in our pack.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Jimmy G.

Bench
Yep, injuries and he talked about some personal issues this year so let’s hope it all turns around. He certainly sounded positive so let’s hope we have another star forward in the making.

With KSimms, Leilua, Lawrie, Host, Latimore, Kerr and even Robson there should be no reason for burn out in our pack.
Spot on but McIdiot needs to handle the bench, that would be my main concern

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Also True Believer there was a few personal thing.
Which hopefully have been fixed.
Interesting times ahead I think

Gareth67

First Grade
He is certainly a big lump of a lad but as others have already suggested he really needs to get stuck into those weights and build himself into an muscle man like Simms and have that ‘ no beg your pardon ‘ attitude to not only make it in the firsts but remain there - he owes this to himself to become a regular 1st grader .

Blood&Bandage

Juniors

James Graham

Belta

Juniors
I think it’s great that they have been patient with Kerr, allowing him the opportunity to slowly gain strength, fitness and confidence. Its also nice if more experienced forwards hold his hand whilst he wades in the shallow end of the pool. But it’s getting near the time for Kerr to step up to the plate. If confidence is a factor, which I believe it is than the best and quickest way to gain confidence is through experience. It’s only by throwing him into the deep end, that he will either swim and kick onto bigger and better things. Unfortunately he may drown. But that’s the nature of the beast.. It’s not a place to be sentimental, or at least IMO it shouldnt be.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Kerr edging closer to elusive NRL debut
Dragons Den
r0_0_6000_2893_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STEPPING UP: Dragons prop Josh Kerr is confident he can make a long-awaited NRL debut in 2019. Picture: Dragons Media

THE fact young Dragons prop Josh Kerr is yet to make his NRL debut is a head-scratcher for some, but the 22-year-old has never expected a saloon passage to the top grade.

The signing of the former Melbourne NYC star two years ago brought plenty of excitement from Dragons fans who expected him to make an immediate step up to the top grade.

What few realised was that the Redcliffe Dolphins product was a novice in the front row game, having come through the junior ranks as an outside back.

“I actually grew up playing in the centres, I idolised Greg Inglis and wanted to be like him,” Kerr said.

“I was 19 when I went down to Melbourne, I was playing a bit of wing and fullback still, and they said ‘we want to put you in the back row’.

“I trained the whole preseason as a back-rower, I put on some size, and then two days before the first trial game they said ‘we’ll just chuck you in the front row and see how you go’.

“I played those first few trials and haven’t stepped out of the position since.”

It’s made two seasons in the Intrust Super Premiership a valuable apprenticeship, a process he expected to go through in navigating a path to the NRL.

“If I was doing cartwheels and back flips down in 20s and scoring tries like anything then I might’ve expected to go straight in [to first grade] but the club told me from day one that it takes time to build front-rowers,” he said.

“I had no idea how much work middles do and the little things they have to do consistently well to win games. That’s what you have to learn so I knew I wasn’t going to step straight into it, I have to earn it.”

It’s been a steep learning curve but, now in his third preseason, Kerr is adamant he’s ready to make that leap.

“I felt I was ready last year but it’s one of those things where you live and you learn,” he said.

“You look back and think I could have done this a bit better or that a but better, but the amount of confidence I’ve come back with is a massive step ahead of last year.

“I feel a lot more confident in everything I’m doing because I’ve been in this position before.

“Mary [Paul McGregor] always talks about the older boys being willing to take themselves to a dark place and I’m a lot more comfortable now pushing my body to its limits. It’s just about putting it into games.”

Off-contract next season, the 2019 campaign is a pivotal one for the former Queensland under 20s rep, but he says it hasn’t given him and extra sense of urgency.

“It’s a little thing that plays in the back of my head but I don’t want to do it out of desperation,” he said.

“Coming into the club’s been unreal, but the longer I’m here the more I want it. Not a lot of people get this opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

“Hopefully Mary sees something in me this year to give me that opportunity. I believe I’m ready and mentality’s a big thing for me. I’ve just got to see myself doing it and I’ll do it.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5799088/kerr-edging-closer-to-long-awaited-debut/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
iz8_2963.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Kerr called into Indigenous All Stars squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 1 Feb 2019, 02:20 PM

St George Illawarra Indigenous player representative Josh Kerr has been called into the Indigenous All Stars team as the injury replacement for Titans prop Ryan James.

A proud Ngugi, Noonuckle and Geopul person of the Quandamooka nation of Stradbroke Island, Kerr played a crucial role in establishing the Dragons' Reconciliation Action Plan in 2018.

This will be Kerr's maiden senior first grade appearance at any level.

The Indigenous All Stars will play the Maori All Stars at Melbourne's AAMI Park on Friday, February 15.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/01/kerr-called-into-indigenous-all-stars-squad/

Latest posts