Josh Kerr

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by TomRedVRiver, Apr 22, 2017.

1. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

While we are all busy chewing the fat about recruitment, one of our newest recruits Josh Kerr is quietly killing in in NSW Cup.

21 years old, 198cms and 115kgs. Scoring tries, eating up metres, throwing offloads, busting tackles.
    Next televised match that Illawarra have, do yourselves a favour and watch him. He is not far off first grade and he is just a kid.

2. possm

possm First Grade

I hope he gets a run during SOO. I rate him very highly and predicted he would grab the 4th prop position on the bench by mid season. I think he is on track to do that.

dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  3. Smurf

Smurf Juniors

The Steelers play at 3pm today .

ALSGI likes this.
  4. Ronnie Dobbs

Ronnie Dobbs Coach

Basil Brush and whomever he is working with, have done a sensational job. The Storm didn't want to lose Kerr.

And he looks a likely one.

dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  5. possm

possm First Grade

If for any reason we lose Packer, Kerr would be next up to take his place.

6. Saint or sinner

Saint or sinner Juniors

There is no reason we can't keep packer if we let go guys like McCartney Mathews marketo and masoe go..

7. getsmarty

getsmarty Coach

WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  8. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Juniors

Josh has the size

Needs to muscle up a bit more, the self belief will come as it did for Leilua.

Would do wonders for our pack if he stepped up this season.

Best of luck Josh !

9. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Wouldn't it ever.Yet another one facing a pivot table year in his development.

WoyD4LWoy and dragonssamy61 like this.
  10. tumbidragon

tumbidragon First Grade

Had a memorable stint in last years charity shield with 2 great hit-ups! Seems like he has a positive mindset going into the off-season. Lad has everything going for him in terms of his physical presence, so willing him onto a big 2019! Someone with Josh's potential on the bench alongside Sims, Luc, Latt's and blocker could really put a rocket under our bonnet!

11. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

I didn't see a lot if him this year but from what I did see, I still believe he still needs work on his overall fitness and lateral movement in defence.

If he really, really rips in this pre- season and gets super fit, then this coupled with his huge frame could see him reach the NAS-like potential we all hoped for when we first picked him up.

Go hard this off season big fella and the rewards are all there for you to plunder, a spot in "one of the top two forward packs in the world"...

ALSGI, tumbidragon, WoyD4LWoy and 3 others like this.
  12. hewi

hewi Juniors

Very impressive interview. IMO he is no boofhead, he is playing for a contract extension and I hope he kills it, he could have as bigger impact as Vaughan if he plays to his potential.

denis preston, BLM01 and WoyD4LWoy like this.
  13. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 First Grade

Dragsters
    Agree with you.
    Ever time he just get going last year, he would get injured.
    He needs to remember how big he is and not stop before the defensive line.
    Hope he rips in.
    He's looking fit.

blacksafake, Dragsters, BLM01 and 2 others like this.
  14. slippery5

slippery5 Juniors

It is the hardest thing to coach fear out of someone, you are either a Warrior or a Worrier.
    Look at some footage of Tallis post neck injury & you will see someone who was worried when having to run into the defensive line. You either have it or not, in Tallis's case, he had it then lost it, so he retired.

blacksafake and dragonssamy61 like this.
  15. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

Here here, spoke well and humbly. You know good props (and he has the physique and height) to be a gooden as they say and have seen it how it takes a while to mature and grow into that role. Kid is only 22 and he does need self belief but there is still time.
    Echo the thoughts of Samy61, watched him in ISP and needed to use his size more showing a bit more of the mongrel side of his personality. The defensive side of his game will improve with being on par with 1st grade fitness, something that has held him back it seems. I like him and hope he can make the step up.
    Could be that missing prop we yearn. ;)

dragonssamy61 and Drakon like this.
  16. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

He really needs to work on his mobility . I thought he struggled in reserve grade last season .

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  17. getsmarty

getsmarty Coach

DRAGONS

Confidence key for Kerr in 2019
    Author
    Jack Brady
    Timestamp
    Tue 4 Dec 2018, 05:33 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Josh Kerr has reached a crossroads in his young rugby league career.

Touted to make his first grade debut ever since starring for the Melbourne Storm in the now defunct Holden Cup competition, Kerr still awaits a taste of NRL football two years on from his arrival at the Red V.

Kerr has labelled the 2019 Telstra Premiership as the year he finally hopes to make the step up to the big boys.

Now five weeks into his third pre-season at the Dragons, the 22-year-old believes a newfound sense of self-belief will help him overcome his confidence issues.

"The big thing for me is my mentality towards everything. I'm my own worst enemy at times," Kerr said.

"Physically, on the field or at training, I hold my own. That's a confidence booster for me. That confidence is something I need to take into 2019. This year is the year for me.

"I have to keep telling myself and believe I can [make my first grade debut]. I need to ensure mentally I'm always there so that hopefully in the future I can become a real good player."

While he has one of the "best forward packs in the world" to break into, Kerr is done biding his time in the Intrust Super Premiership.

With age well on his side, he's not however willing the likes of Jeremy Latimore and James Graham into retirement and credits them as important factors in his constant development.

"I'm doing everything I can to push into first grade. It comes down to how hard we want to work," Kerr said.

"I'd say we have one of the best forward packs in the world so that's a real challenge for myself. But (the older boys) have a set a real good platform for me to work off so it's up to me to live up to that."

Seeing the likes of Luciano Leilua and Blake Lawrie make a name for themselves in the NRL is another source of inspiration for the Redcliffe Dolphins junior.

"It's amazing to see what they have done. I've been with those boys for a few years now so I've seen what they have done to get to where they have," Kerr said.

"It gives me confidence that I can do that too. I'm super proud of those boys in terms how far they have come."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/12/04/confidence-key-for-kerr-in-2019/

blacksafake and dragonssamy61 like this.
  18. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

Yep. He just needs to find that switch like Blocker found this year when he suddenly just started ripping in after a few tentative games initially...

19. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

He certainly has the size but is obviously mentally weak which he himself admits.
    By admitting this is the best thing for him so lets hope he can find the mental toughness to make it.
    Lets hope that L plate can get the best out of him this season, Although I'm not holding my breath.

20. hewi

hewi Juniors

He’s playing for a new contract, he has James Graham to mentor him and the possibility that either or both Graham and Latimore will finish next year. Plus he has size. The stars will never align better for him IMO, I’m tipping a breakout year.